Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Try not to lose touch with relatives

Discuss anything you like.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Try not to lose touch with relatives

Postby Archie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:11 pm

I had a bad experience this morning, mum and me were going to a discount warehouse in a town about 30 miles away. She suggested that since we were in the town we visit my uncle Davey who we hadn't seen for a couple of years. So we went to his flat Christmas card and bottle of wine in hand and knocked on the door - a stranger opened, where is Davey I asked, Davey who? replied the stranger, The guy who lives here I replied - on Davey He Died a couple of years ago!!.

After talking to the guy in the upstairs flat who was a friend of my uncle he confirmed the worse - I was surprised you were not at the funeral he said, We didn't know no one informed us I replied. We last visited just before he died and he was in a good mood in fact he was complaining that the social were trying to force him to get a job - he was a plasterer and a dammed good one who worked all over the UK earning good money at one time. But he was drinking a half bottle of scotch a day, I suspect - but have know way of knowing this at least contributed to his death.
Why did his few relatives not inform us about the death our tel number was on his book beside the phone, we should have been at the funeral he was my late fathers youngest brother!.

I am racked with guilt that we didn't keep in touch - and missed the funeral. This has certainly wrecked my Christmas.

Sorry to rant on and post such a morbid topic but If you have a relative who you have not contacted recently Please phone or even send a short letter :(
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Re: Try not to lose touch with relatives

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:00 am

Sincere condolences Archie.
No use feeling guilty about it though.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks DOY, I have some good memories he was only 14 years older than me so I could talk to him. He was a real character married twice had loads of sexy girlfriends, always had sporty cars including a Mustang in the 70's which he let me have a shot of driving.

Great Guy sadly missed 8)
Archie

Postby bob » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi Archie

You can't blame yourself for something you didn't know. Don't forget when you were close to his home you went to visit him !!

Enjoy your Christmas and raise a glass to his memory.

Have a peaceful Christmas

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Cheers Bob, a peaceful Christmas to all forum members 8)
Archie

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:14 pm

My best wishes and condolences to you Archie. I echo what Bob and the rest of the gang said.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:03 pm

Ah, the Ford Mustang, introduced to Europe by "Goldfinger" unless I'm mistaken. A classic, back when auto designers had imagination. Not like now, every car looks the same (enter Orwell). I never got to drive one, hey ho. First experience behind the wheel was memorable though, so young I could barely see over the dashboard. Was one of those British racing cars you'd see in the 60's, wish I could remember the model. Lightly touched the accelerator and Ye Gods, we'd traveled 100 yards! The only equally powerful auto I've been in was a Lotus, though I wasn't driving. Being in a Lotus must be like motorcycle sidecars: close to the ground, desperately clutching the frame. Was a nervous wreck when I got out :shock:
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Yes DOY in Goldfinger Bond drove a white stang - I believe Harry owned a similar car? There was a picture on the old site of him sitting in one :o

My uncles was a fastback like the one in 'Bullit' it was dark brown and fitted with a Ford 2.5 straight six engine and auto box.
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:39 pm

Tilly Masterson drove the Mustang in "Goldfinger", 007 drove the infamous Astin Martin :)
Complete with ejector seat, how many times have we all wished for one of those?
Embarrassed to admit I've never seen "Bullit". Steve McQueen driving like a lunatic.
Just like in real life lol. It seems he enjoyed a bit of the 'pedal to the metal'.
Dirty Old Yank

Return to Chit Chat