Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Harry & Wilfrid if they had lived post 82/85?

Discuss anything you like.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Harry & Wilfrid if they had lived post 82/85?

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:06 pm

I've often thought that if Harry H Corbett hadn't have passed away at the young aged 57 in 1982 and Wilfrid Brambell also aged 72 in 1985 what would they have done with the years remaining if they survived? Would have they both continued to work together on Steptoe related subjects, talks and such. Would they have both returned to theatre, television or made other comedies together and what would they have been like. Wishful thinking I know but It would have been facinating viewing if that were the case. Your thoughts? :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Harry & Wilfrid if they had lived post 82/85?

Postby harryfaversham » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:16 pm

The mind boggles
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:12 pm

harryfaversham wrote:The mind boggles

It would have been nice to see them both work into the mid eighties together or to do diffrent projects and not pass on so young but suppose you could say that about other stars like Hancock and others who died without fulfilling their potential. What if he (Hancock) never parted company with Sid James/ Galton & Simpson. Would he indeed have continued to have a sucessfull career, did other shows, made more classic series right up to the late sixties resulting in no bad decisions or resulting in his depression which was the downfall which lead to his early death in Australia on tour. We'll never know sadly.... :|

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:11 am

Wishful thinking indeed. For all their outstanding contributions, and this isn't just a fan talking, it really is a pity we don't have comprehensive records of their early work, film/video specifically. There's little doubt Wilf and Harry were always at the top of their game. Comparisons with more widely known actors like Brando are unfair really, I'd argue Harry was better than Brando but that's neither here nor there. Imagining their possible careers is fun but...if there's an actors Heaven, a place where the best go to continue to refine their craft, to drink with their peers and tell jokes for afters, Harry and Wilfrid are there surely. Though not in the same flat, it is Heaven after all :o
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:13 pm

According to Susannah Corbett, when Harry died in 82, they were already planning another tour with the Steptoe and Son Stage show they had done in Australia. I think however there would have been no return for the show, as it fell in to "Benny Hill" category - Harold would now be seen as a dirty old man lusting after the birds, but in an unpleasant way. And, anything new they ever did together would always be compared and "not as good as Steptoe".

But I think they would both have continued working... Wilfrid was a workaholic and I could have seen him taking a small recurring role in other television shows and then semi-retiring to Hong Kong but still doing occassional interesting roles.

Harry would have continued as he was, a very busy man, working stage shows and films. I could also see him being selected as a judge on something like "Britains Got Talent" or one of those annoying Lloyd Webber casting shows. "How do you solve a problem like a rubbish tv show?"

A news reporter at the time of H's death said he met them during the Kenco filming as he was reporting on it, and H talked about new episodes of Steptoe being made in 1983. According to Ray and Alan, this was never planned, so did H simply mention plans to revive the stage show, or was there another "sketch" on the horizon? Who knows!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:38 am

PhilGlass wrote:According to Susannah Corbett, when Harry died in 82, they were already planning another tour with the Steptoe and Son Stage show they had done in Australia. I think however there would have been no return for the show, as it fell in to "Benny Hill" category - Harold would now be seen as a dirty old man lusting after the birds, but in an unpleasant way. And, anything new they ever did together would always be compared and "not as good as Steptoe".

But I think they would both have continued working... Wilfrid was a workaholic and I could have seen him taking a small recurring role in other television shows and then semi-retiring to Hong Kong but still doing occassional interesting roles.

Harry would have continued as he was, a very busy man, working stage shows and films. I could also see him being selected as a judge on something like "Britains Got Talent" or one of those annoying Lloyd Webber casting shows. "How do you solve a problem like a rubbish tv show?"

A news reporter at the time of H's death said he met them during the Kenco filming as he was reporting on it, and H talked about new episodes of Steptoe being made in 1983. According to Ray and Alan, this was never planned, so did H simply mention plans to revive the stage show, or was there another "sketch" on the horizon? Who knows!

Looking at Harry in that Shoestring episode/1982 Tales of the unexpected episode " The Mole" His final TV appearance before his untimely death and of course Wilfrid Brambell seemed never to age they indeed they could have done Steptoe up till the late seventies but I agree times & tastes were changing and Galton & Simpson decided to end on a high and there's nothing worst than to see a series you love go stale. It's sad to know that they were considering another tour and the possibility of a one off episode of Steptoe maybe. I'm sure Harry with the blessing of Wilfrid would have persuaded both Ray & Alan to pen another show for good old times but on thinking it now the Xmas 74 episode finished perfectly as Harold finally won , had his bird in Bognor all to himself whilst Albert who thought he'd had one over Harold went alone to Switzerland . Also I think Harry would have continued to do TV work, Some films and Theatre and by this time type cast as Harold would have become part of British acting royalty and would have gone back to his first love serious acting, done the west end and the odd TV series. Talk shows and such then went into retirement to enjoy his grandchildren. Wilfrid if he'd not succumbed to the dreaded big C would have made numerous cameo appearances like he did as in the episode of Citizen Smith, Theatre like Harry and possibly the odd kids show or movie then usual interview on Wogan and as you said gone into semi- retirement doing the odd Documentary reminiscing about his past careers you mentioned from his plush pad in the hills of Hong Kong over looking the harbour. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby harryfaversham » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:34 pm

While we all long for more, what they gave us was and will always be perfect

harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:19 pm

harryfaversham wrote:While we all long for more, what they gave us was and will always be perfect

I agree but it's a nice thought though. Wonder what Only fools would have been like if Wilfrid was choosen to play Grandad instead of Leonard pierce? As good most likely but that's ifs and buts. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby harryfaversham » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:39 pm

That would have been interesting

harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:46 am

harryfaversham wrote:That would have been interesting

It would have too even if Wilfrid had the chance to do a similar series that was created around an crusty old pensioner. Also I found out recently that Harry did a Series in 1969 called Mr Aitch with June Whitfield written by Dick Clement & Ian La frenaise which ran for 15 series but did take off sadly and would be great released on DVD. Also I've heared constant rumours that he (Harry) did post the end of Steptoe a short lived series set in an Iron mongers shop. Is this true and do you think the powers in be would ever release it if this series really exists lying in some dusty archive? :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby harryfaversham » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:04 pm

So much rumoured/unseen material!! We need to petition the f**k out of the BBC and whoever else owns the tapes to get them remastered and released. Theres obviously gonna be a huge market for them!!

harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:26 pm

harryfaversham wrote:So much rumoured/unseen material!! We need to petition the f**k out of the BBC and whoever else owns the tapes to get them remastered and released. Theres obviously gonna be a huge market for them!!

I've never understood the powers to be at the BBC. First they destroy some of the greatest British comedies going , they then hold onto series paid by us which have only seen one airing for decades even though there's huge interest in anything that featured loved actors in classic series. I'm 100% sure there does exist that Series done in the mid late seventies which sadly flopped after one series that featured Harry as a Iron Monger. I heared it mentioned on a TV heaven Program where it was mentioned regarding Harry H Corbett Steptoe career and other projects after. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Return to Chit Chat