Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

New member says hello! :)

Discuss anything you like.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

New member says hello! :)

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi all,

I'm so pleased to have finally taken the plunge to join here! I thought this looked the best place to post this - hope I'm right.

For a couple of years now, I've stumbled on this here forum a number of times and bookmarked it (in among about 10,000 others :wink: ) and dug it out thinking, 'When I've got a moment...' but about a fortnight ago, I did spend a couple of hours on here, looking at stuff and finding all sorts of interesting facts. I'd looked through some of the threads before and it got to the point that I was spending so long, I had to seriously ask myself why I'd not joined ages ago?! Anyways, here I am! :D

Briefly, my association with Steptoe And Son.... I was watching repeats at my Gran's house when I was around 8 or 9 years old and it had only finished 4 or 5 years previously, so we're talking the late 70s and I remember seeing a genuine rag and bone man in the street around then! So I already had a grasp that there was some truth in this thing that I found very funny and also oddly real. And nothing has changed, 35+ years on.

My first real fascination with it was the debut film spin-off, that BBC1 showed when I was around 13 and we'd not long got our first video recorder - I didn't know they made a film until then, then joy of joys, they showed the second one (probably the following week) and that too got recorded and watched over and over. My schoolmates loved the films too.

Later on, when I had my own VCR, I'd tape any episodes that were shown and play them almost on a loop. Eventually, through the 'Lost Steptoes' and BBC2 showings of others over the years, I had them all on tape (oddly missing A Box In Town, must have had a faulty machine that week!) But then, the DVDs were inevitable and it started it all over again - and when I had the tapes with the episodes out of sequence, I already had some firm favourites (oo-er missus. :lol: )

By the way - as I say on my profile, I am actually male! Oh yes, and I taped all the radio versions from BBC7 as well. I've also got the Buckingham Palace single as I love my records and am a collector as well as a Steptoe fan.

This was meant to be a SHORT intro (sorry!) but splitting them into paragraphs like this, makes it look like there's more to read - when there honestly isn't that much. *ahem*

By the way, I hope it's ok to dig up/reply to some old threads on here as I feel I could contribute to some? Having just bought the 2002 book on the series (the one written by Ray, Allan and Robert Ross) will surely give me some ideas and inspiration. I saw and had a flick through it in the library, years ago but put it to the back of my mind until I saw mention of it the other day and so I know it's indispensable.

So, thank you for having me on here (and letting me ramble a little too :P ) as I'm sure it's going to be lots of fun.

Best wishes

Ian.
"Aaarold... you should come round this side - her drawers have just dropped off!"
The late Mrs Steptoe

Re: New member says hello! :)

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:35 pm

A hearty welcome Mrs. Steptoe! :D
That is a lovely hat you’ve got on by the way, if you don’t mind a dirty old ex-copper saying so :wink:
Very fond of that episode, Dixon of Dock Green offering Albert a hot dog if he’s a good girl, oo-er indeed.
What would he say on the wedding night? Hello hello hello.....what’s this then?! :o
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:A hearty welcome Mrs. Steptoe! :D
That is a lovely hat you’ve got on by the way, if you don’t mind a dirty old ex-copper saying so :wink:
Very fond of that episode, Dixon of Dock Green offering Albert a hot dog if he’s a good girl, oo-er indeed.
What would he say on the wedding night? Hello hello hello.....what’s this then?! :o

Hi DOY and thank you! :)

Dear oh dear, I nearly dropped me pickled onions in the bath, when I read that. Still, it'll give them some extra flavour eh? Something to go with the hot dog. :wink: :lol:

It's one of the funniest I think, yes - and it wasn't until the 90s when I first saw it. The scene where Colin Gordon gets blitzed when he's being plied with whisky has to be my favourite bit; just classic! It's about as farcical as an episode ever got, but the acting is so superb it just all works brilliantly.

Btw - don't mention the hat to Harold; I pinched it off the bird he sneaked in here the other night when he thought I was safely asleep... found it down the back of the sofa the next morning. Dirty devils. And at her age too! :shock:
"Aaarold... you should come round this side - her drawers have just dropped off!"
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:42 pm

‘...extra Albert flavour...’. :?
Is that possible? Albert concentrate? Like an oxo cube? More powerful than penicillin!
...It’s a visual that runs riot with the imagination and risks being a little too evocative :lol:
To this day can't eat a pickled onion without wondering where it's been.
Gotta watch out for those “sweet old ladies”, 4 years in the trenches and never heard words like they use! :o
Dirty Old Yank

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:45 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:‘...extra Albert flavour...’. :?
Is that possible? Albert concentrate? Like an oxo cube? More powerful than penicillin!
...It’s a visual that runs riot with the imagination and risks being a little too evocative :lol:
To this day can't eat a pickled onion without wondering where it's been.
Gotta watch out for those “sweet old ladies”, 4 years in the trenches and never heard words like they use! :o

Eww - I've just had my dinner! :shock: It should help with my dieting though and Soup Of The Day is definitely off the menu. :lol:

Not much difference between being in the trenches (were there old ladies there? :?) and the yard - always got to watch where you're putting your feet! :wink:
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Archie » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Welcome Mrs S - watch out for dirty old ex coppers :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:28 pm

Archie wrote:Welcome Mrs S - watch out for dirty old ex coppers :o

Hello and thank you Archie - I will indeed yes... There are none around these parts are there?? No wonder they call 'em The Filth, though! :wink:
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:54 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:To this day can't eat a pickled onion without wondering where it's been.

Permit me to quote from my newly acquired book, on a certain famous scene (I read this bit a couple of nights ago and thought that I MUST mention it here... hope nobody's eating by the way, and definitely not pickled onions!) I don't think the speaker needs any introduction here. :)

"Pickled onions have always been a favourite food of mine. I have ceased to relish them, although I still relish that moment of really revolting realism which I know many viewers still remember."

He then goes on to explain that one onion escaped and got inside his 'covering' (thank goodness he had that, I hear you cry :shock:) to lodge itself, in a very uncomfortable area. He concludes...

"For at least two weeks after that short sequence, despite the fact that I sprayed expensive unguents all over my body even where they stung, I stank to even myself like an empty vinegar bottle."

Superb book this, the insight into the making of the episodes, through interviews with Wifrid and Harry - plus the quotes of Ray and Allan, along with how people were taking to the series from the very start is wonderful to read.
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby harold » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:55 pm

hello 2 u and welcome
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:41 pm

harold wrote:hello 2 u and welcome

Hello, son... I mean - thank you. :oops: :lol:

It's great to be here! I should have joined a long time ago, but there we are. :)
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:05 pm

Thanks for mentioning the Ross book, been meaning to get that one, and his bio of Marty :)
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Welcome Ian . . or should that be Gladys !!! :lol:
bob
Site Admin

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:08 pm

bob wrote:Welcome Ian . . or should that be Gladys !!! :lol:

Hello Bob and thank you! :)

You know, I get the feeling that I'm being watched on here- and this fellow looks all too familiar for my liking...

:lol:
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Welcome.

I swear I replied to this before but it seems to have disappeared... (which ironically made me swear in a different way.)

Nice to see new blood here.. "one of us, one of us, one of us..."...
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:47 pm

PhilGlass wrote:Welcome.

I swear I replied to this before but it seems to have disappeared... (which ironically made me swear in a different way.)

Nice to see new blood here.. "one of us, one of us, one of us..."...

Thank you Phil, it's great to be here and I'm getting heavily into the Ray/Alan/Robert Ross book now - so it's inevitable that I'll be rewatching the series again in... ooh about a fortnight I recon (I'm not as fast a reader as I was.) And I didn't pay £182 for it either. :lol: It was seeing a thread on the book here that jogged my memory of it and I had no choice to join, one I ordered it. Plus I'm recommending it to others now too.

I have the same problem with vanishing messages sometimes and just sent someone a long PM on another forum - the problem being that they don't give you any indication that it's been sent for some reason. :?

New blood - I'll drink to that!

The late Mrs Steptoe

Next

Return to Chit Chat