Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

1982 Kenco Coffee Question

Discuss anything you like.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

1982 Kenco Coffee Question

Postby spikespark » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:15 pm

In the 1982 advert for Kenco Coffee, there's a bit where Harold is showing off their paintings to the girl he's brought home, and Albert is interrupting. He cuts Harold off before he can say 'Rembrandt,' then he says something that sounds like 'A lousy--' and finishes up with 'low trick'. Is this the 'a lousy' meant to be a play on some great painter's name? I can't tell what the painting is but was wondering if it was supposed to be a Toulouse-Latrec.

Here is a link to the advert- unfortunately, it's a bit grainy and the sound quality isn't perfect but it's great to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxrFITu ... OZN1sHXhMz

Is it true that they did a second Kenco Coffee advert? I haven't been able to find a link anywhere. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

ETA: After spending far too much time squinting at the computer and comparing the shapes and colours of the grainy image to Latrec paintings, I think the exchange definitely is supposed to be a pun on 'Toulouse-Latrec'.

Albert: And this is a 'Too-lousy'--

Harold: Bed, pater?

Albert: --low trick.

I am 99% positive the painting in question is "Marcelle Lender Dancing In The Bolero".

http://ayay.co.uk/backgrounds/paintings ... bolero.jpg
spikespark

Re: 1982 Kenco Coffee Question

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:39 pm

spikespark wrote:I am 99% positive the painting in question is "Marcelle Lender Dancing In The Bolero".

I'm now 100% positive, well spotted !! Thanks for clearing that up, that bit has always confused me, “Too loose, low trick” because as you say, the image is so tiny and grainy. Was there a second Kenco advert? Phil is the chap to ask, he knows this stuff backwards. The only peculiar thing about the Kenco advert, beyond their suddenly living in the Louvre and Harold's white tuxedo, is...what happened to Albert's homburg? It's completely mangled. A dirty old man maybe but his hat was always tip top....a point of pride!
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby spikespark » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:09 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
spikespark wrote:I am 99% positive the painting in question is "Marcelle Lender Dancing In The Bolero".
The only peculiar thing about the Kenco advert, beyond their suddenly living in the Louvre and Harold's white tuxedo, is...what happened to Albert's homburg? It's completely mangled. A dirty old man maybe but his hat was always tip top....a point of pride!

Yes, I wondered what happened to Albert's hat! There are so many unanswered questions in that advert. Perhaps Delilah accidentally crushed it.

As for their sudden change in circumstances, maybe Harold finally found a real Burne-Jones?
spikespark

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:37 pm

It is referring to the artist "Toulouse Loutrec", pronounced "Too Loose" but Harold pronounces it "Too Lousy", probably because the character would be ignorant to artists like that. So, "Toulouse Loutrec" becomes "Too Lousy... low Trick" in another genius play on words from Ray and Alan, a real corker of a line that would have (probably purposefully) went over the heads of millions every day!

The only thing that gets me with the advert, is that it is Harold who makes the coffee, but she goes off with Albert. So they are saying "our coffee's good but you'd rather go off with a dirty old man than drink it..." surely Albert should have made the coffee and the girl went with Albert because she wanted the coffee??
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:14 pm

Phil, mate.....me and Spikespark already realize that, see our posts above.
But it was Albert, not Harold, that deliberately (not mistakenly, thus the joke) mispronounced the name of the famous French painter. Did Ray & Alan in fact write that coffee advert?
And returning to Spikespark's original question...Do you know if there was a second Kenco advert?
I can't remember if it's mentioned in Susannah's book.
A book, if you'll recall, I was fortunate enough to read before your train trip North to meet her as representative of the Appreciation Society to herald publication. I really must read it again, time well spent :o.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:06 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Phil, mate.....me and Spikespark already realize that, see our posts above.
But it was Albert, not Harold, that deliberately (not mistakenly, thus the joke) mispronounced the name of the famous French painter. Did Ray & Alan in fact write that coffee advert?
And returning to Spikespark's original question...Do you know if there was a second Kenco advert?
I can't remember if it's mentioned in Susannah's book.
A book, if you'll recall, I was fortunate enough to read before your train trip North to meet her as representative of the Appreciation Society to herald publication. Really must read it again, time well spent :o.

Sorry buddy, I skimmed the posts..

Albert says "Low Trick" deliberately, as Harold is trying to outwit his father, and then sends him to bed. It is a low trick, and Albert is once again not letting his son out wit him.

I don't think there was. I have heard Ray and Alan say that they wrote a one minute version, so that Kenco could edit it to either 1 minute, 45 seconds, 30 seconds or 15 seconds. The edit was about 42 seconds all in, but 1 minute of steptoe content was filmed, so there might be more out there in an unedited version, or an alternative version that was shown. But no, there was only 1 advert it is believed.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:05 pm

PhilGlass wrote:Sorry buddy, I skimmed the posts...

Yes I know, we all often do the like :).
A coffee advert for a stage, Steptoe's to act, and consumers to behold the smelly scene :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby spikespark » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:38 am

I agree that it would have been brilliant if Harold had sent Albert off to make the coffee (instead of 'bed, Pater?' he could have sent him out then, that would have been a good opener for Albert's '...Low trick' retort), and then the girl liked the coffee so much she went off with Albert instead of Harold.
spikespark

Return to Chit Chat