Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

S&S movies showing

Discuss anything you like.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

S&S movies showing

Postby ebdons » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi, S&S movies not been shown for yonks, can't see anywhere about listings in the coming months, out of fashion now I suppose, altho on the buses were shown a couple of months ago. hope there on at xmas? :?
ebdons

Re: S&S movies showing

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:34 am

ebdons wrote:Hi, S&S movies not been shown for yonks…out of fashion now I suppose…

The Steptoe movies...out of fashion now? Heresy!! :shock:. Seriously though...
I'd suggest that while fashions are clearly ephemeral, Steptoe is timeless and if the movies
(or televised episodes, or radio for that matter) aren’t being broadcast, that’s just bad business
sense of the most stupid sort. What's a license fee now, £150? If you’re dissatisfied with programming,
give BBC a ring! That’s your right. Send emails, tell them you want to see more Steptoe, and who wouldn’t?
I’ve had the pleasure of sharing Steptoe with lots of folks and everyone adored the show, with one exception.
The only time someone didn’t laugh was because they were suffering from that most pernicious of 21st century addictions: hand held internet devices. Furiously fidgeting over a piece of plastic like they’re having a grand mal,
you can try to explain that “smart phone” was just an advertising slogan but that won’t prevent iPhone addicts
from believing they’re increasing their intelligence by ignoring reality :roll:. Coincidentally, my introduction
to Steptoe was via the movies, happily a girlfriend from London was visiting when they arrived in my
post, a region 1 DVD (now out of print.) Huge laughs, great fun, Ride Again being our favorite :o.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!" - Harold
"Hey careful man, there's a beverage here!" - The Dude
Dirty Old Yank

Postby ebdons » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi yes, what I meant was with all that is going on in the media etc about objectification of women, will these movies be shown less and less because of the subject matter etc, carry on is shown quite a few times every year and they are deemed suitable so why not the Steptoe films/ always get the dvd but nothing like watching S&S films late at night like we used to do eh? like you I'm a great fan of a series which apart from 1 or 2 episodes being below par was the best long lived "adult" sitcom which lasted many years, even faulty towers has the odd "poor" episode eh? S&S had great actors and great writers etc. no need so say more! Ton up!
ebdons

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:33 am

ebdons wrote:Hi yes, what I meant was with all that is going on in the media etc about objectification of women, will these movies be shown less and less because of the subject matter etc...

If Steptoe isn't being broadcast…be it the 2 movies or many television and radio episodes…the reasons why are easy enough to guess and the “objectification of women” is definitely not among them, Ray & Alan's scripts didn't do that. The most likely causes include the very high quality of the show, which exposes rubbish programming for what it is.
But most notably...Steptoe encourages empathy with the impoverished, and that obviously is not a popular topic
with corporations and the politicians they employ these days.
ebdons wrote:...always get the dvd but nothing like watching S&S films late at night like we used to do eh?

Huge fun, nocturnal Steptoe. But when I wander around in the dark there’s inevitably a comedy anvil somewhere
just waiting to drop on my foot, leaving me to clumsily hop about the flat like an angry kangaroo shouting
Bernie Bresslaw’s science axiom, “You Need Feet”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGocrd350A4.
Which is why I always keep some Re-Animator juice handy. No need for torches with batteries that wear out,
this stuff glows bright green illuminating your path, and used cautiously it can heal those shattered toes.
Great stuff, but excessive application can lead to necrosis, zombification and a taste for live brains :o.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!" - Harold
"Hey careful man, there's a beverage here!" - The Dude
Dirty Old Yank

Return to Chit Chat