Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Happy Halloween!

Discuss anything you like.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Happy Halloween!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:57 pm

I know Oct 31 aint so popular there but hey, it's an innocent laugh, a light hearted lark.
A chance to watch cheap horror movies and dress up like half the cast in one go.
An opportunity to give away enough sweets to keep dentists drilling teeth and happy for decades.
And you get to throw open your front door, go BOO!!! and watch screaming trick or treaters flee in terror lolol.
Never mind, they'll be back next year in greater numbers...a little older, a little bolder.
It's the choccie swag they're after...cheeky monkeys.

Do you celebrate Halloween? Or do armies of children expecting a hand out drive you mad?
Do you have any favorite horror movies? Or do you prefer "reality shows"?
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:18 pm

Nice to see this general section working out. We do like a good chin-wag don't we?

Unfortunately everywhere I've lived hasn't been suitable for trick or treaters - either in a block they cant access or in South Manchester where they fear for their lives.

My new flat, sorry, apartment... (what's the difference between a flat and an apartment? Abou 20 quid a week extra on the rent!) has an outer exit but it's on a lovely street so I'm hoping some of the kiddywinkles come round, because that's what Halloween is for. As long as they are safe, it's harmless fun.

I know some people over here who despise that, well, it's not begging, it's a laugh. I haven't worked out how to terrorise the little blighters yet, but I'm sure I'll think of something. :)

I dont really find horror movies scary - I prefer the suspense of the kill. Alfred Hitchcock et al. Look at Pyscho, there;'s actually very little violence in that whatsoever, even for 1960. It wasn't about that. It was about the suspense - we know what's going to happen and who's going to do it, and we know she doesn't know... that's the frightening bit!

America goes all out for halloween doesnt it? And don't mention reality shows again - there's no such thing!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby nunky » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:51 am

Up my way they aren't interested in sweets and chocolates, they just want cold hard cash.

Also the local councils rent flats, private landlords rent apartments.
nunky

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:18 am

Talking of scary, I found this picture of Wilfrid online.. scared the living wotsits out of me!!

PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:46 pm

That's an excellent portrait, but it is a little scary isn't it? Looks like Dracula lolol.
What could he be eyeing so hungrily?
(please pick one)
a) steak and kidney pudding
b) winning lotto ticket
c) big thighs

"Horror movie" is an overused and not entirely accurate expression. "Thriller" might be better if it weren't so indelibly associated with a certain late pop star. If you're not scared by scary movies then maybe you're watching the wrong ones, quality and suspension of disbelief aren't always necessary.
Most of us have been subjected to home movies, television shows, photograph albums, even school courses...that were so mind numbingly dull they made ye wanna run into the street screaming :roll:
I'm grateful to remember theatrical experiences like 1979's "Alien"...had to close my eyes I was so terrified!! But the subsequent deluge of mindless gore is no reason to be jaded, there's lots of films of all languages and budgets that don't resort to splatter, boast good scripts/performances and are genuinely creepy, if that's your cup of tea.
My all time favorite is unquestionably 1963's "The Haunting", based on Shirley Jackson's short story.
Other old school faves include "Carnival of Souls" (1962) and Hammer's "Dracula" (1957). More recent, surprisingly good low budget faves include "Cube", "The Thing", "Near Dark"...so many more, warts and all :)
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:34 pm

PhilGlass wrote:America goes all out for halloween doesnt it?

Not just yanks, but I spose we do. A good part of the reason why was telly.
There was a time not so long ago when most US cities had independently owned/operated television stations, and when these stations weren't broadcasting expensive network programming, they had to make up their own shows to keep their communities watching.
In the mid-1950's a Los Angeles programming director had the clever idea of creating a weekend late show featuring a corseted, raven haired woman in a black dress on a gothic set who'd introduce cheaply rented/public domain monster movies and tell terrible jokes at the commercial breaks.
Her name was "Vampira." Though the show was hugely popular and widely publicized it was soon canceled. But it started a national snowball of local horror host shows based on the same format: cheap and cheerful, cobwebs and candles, cheesy props and fog machines.
The best known host is probably "Elvira", but there's been dozens more, some of whom still broadcast on the internet.
If anyone is interested in the yank horror host tradition, "Count Gore De Vol" is a good place to start, he's been around since 1973 :)
http://countgore.com/gore/index.html
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Karl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:12 pm

I used to watch "Elvira,mistress of the dark" when i lived in the states years ago.Funny, all i can remember about it is her in the skimpy black dress :wink: :wink:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Re: Happy Halloween!

Postby Archie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:09 pm

I welded eyelets on my front gate a few years ago. Every Halloween I padlock it to keep the little sods out :twisted: :twisted:
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Re:

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:03 am

Karl wrote:I used to watch "Elvira,mistress of the dark" when i lived in the states years ago.Funny, all i can remember about it is her in the skimpy black dress :wink: :wink:

No wonder, her...decolletage, was the focus of the show. The program was frequently very funny though, Cassandra Peterson was a member of The Groundlings (a credit that looks very good on any resume) before she became a horror host. If you liked Elvira, check out Penny Dreadful (Shilling Shockers) sometime. She too is...endowed, with talent even if the cheezy movies she hosts are not. :wink: http://www.shillingshockers.com/
And speaking of cheeze, I enjoyed the traditional assortment of horror movies, some cheap some not. Can't have a proper holiday without "Shaun of the Dead", now there is a funny film. Huge guffaws also came watching "Horror Express" in which Christopher Lee actually clicks his toungue, "tsk!" That bit kills me, it's so completely out of character for someone as dignified as Lee to impatiently click his tongue lolol. In another scene someone asks, "What if one of you is the monster?" and Peter Cushing who has just walked in holding a shotgun replies, "Monster? We're British you know!"
Another Halloween come and gone, nothing left to do but wait for next year. No use getting depressed about it though, every day is Halloween when you wake up looking like I do :roll:
Archie wrote:I welded eyelets on my front gate a few years ago. Every Halloween I padlock it to keep the little sods out :twisted: :twisted:

To paraphrase Dracula, "tsk!" :)
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:06 pm

Time to dust off the ol' Hammer Horror again 8)
Amicus, Tigon, AIP, the lot.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:53 pm

Archie wrote:I welded eyelets on my front gate a few years ago. Every Halloween I padlock it to keep the little sods out :twisted: :twisted:

Just been out padlocking the gate to keep the little sod's o
ut :twisted: :twisted:
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:48 am

Time to resurrect (tip of the hat to Burke and Hare) this thread, if only to see that incredible portrait of Wilfrid again (tip of the hat to Phil).....and to remind Archie to padlock his gate against the tide of greedy kids, bless :).
Celebrating this year with strong coffee and a marathon smorgasbord of cheezy horror movies from the 30’s, 50’s and 80’s mostly. Great fun :o
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:16 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Time to resurrect (tip of the hat to Burke and Hare) this thread, if only to see that incredible portrait of Wilfrid again (tip of the hat to Phil).....

Personally I think it deserves a bow and a short round of applause but never mind... :wink: ha ha ha

Finally moved to a lovely area, lots of kids going around trick or treating but the Mrs-to-be made me go out for the night... she has an inherent hatred of children... I had the sweets ready (usually people have to wrestle me to get sweets off me, they are all mine) but tonight I felt generous... ah well.

May this hallowed evening find you all well. To frighten myself I have watched Susan Boyle on TV, checked out the price of bread and read up on the Tory Party Policies... Needless to say this is the scariest halloween ever. I will need therapy for a long time...
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:59 pm

PhilGlass wrote:...the Mrs-to-be made me go out for the night...

Mrs-to-be? Congratulations Phil, wishing you both long life and happiness! :)
This year the movie marathon didn’t come off quite as planned, began with “Seance in a Wet Rag and Bone Yard” and “The Wooden Overcoats” and quickly realized traditional Halloween cinema can't compete with Steptoe, so we chose less conventional fare; 3 Stooges, East Side Kids, Little Rascals, liberally seasoned with the usual odds and sods.....Son of Frankenstein, The Crawling Eye, Raw Meat, too many to mention. But the weekend aint over yet, extra coffee was a prudent purchase (that and Tums :roll:).
Edit: the monday morning after.....groan.
This is where that extra coffee comes in real handy. If there’s anything good about the end of a Halloween weekend, it’s cheezy decor at half price. An added bonus is rediscovering horror movies, ended this year's festivities with..... “A Cadaver Christmas” (2012), hilarious, highly recommended no-budget zombie comedy :o
Dirty Old Yank

Return to Chit Chat