Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

The last DVD's you bought...

Discuss anything you like.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: The last DVD's you bought...

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:44 pm

Archie wrote:
The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:
Archie wrote:Some good shows there Mrs S ---- apart from Father Ted never found it funny and the Jimmy Clitheroe one, always found him creepy and he was apparently an unpleasant person.

I've not bought a DVD for a few weeks but recently bought the new AC/DC CD 'Rock or Bust' 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss7xyoiNCic

Cheers Archie!

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Father Ted after all these years, to be honest - I'll probably get back into it without too much trouble but do feel the episode that bears re-watching fairly often is the Richard Wilson one... same as One Foot In The Grave, really - different kettle of fish of course - I was remembering favourite episodes and love it when these crop up and I'm already into series 4 of that. The one thing that irks me a little about OFITG, is that when some disaster befalls an individual, there's always a section of the audience ready to burst into laughter. And I don't mean just one of Victor's calamities - it can be something pretty serious. I know, I need to lighten up - but this never happened in Steptoe, eh? :wink: :

To be honest I never watched an episode of Father Ted :| I worked permanent night shift for several years when it was on. But the trailers were enough to convince me that it wasn't my scene.

I watched the first two episodes last night and I wasn't quite sure how it would look these days; but wasn't too worried as with old films, tv and music, I've never really found things that I've gone off. It gave me a couple of laughs, but I hope I get more from it than that as it goes on, otherwise I'll just head straight to the episodes I remember liking - it does look (and is) very silly and 'obvious', so I can see why the trailers wouldn't lure someone in.
"Aaarold... you should come round this side - her drawers have just dropped off!"
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:51 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:M.R. James has always been a favorite author of supernatural fiction. :) Also...
Robert W. Chambers, Arthur Machen, Algernon Blackwood, but especially H.P. Lovecraft.
A lot (if not all) of their works are public domain and can be read free online.
Algernon Blackwood's "The Willows" is a masterpiece:
http://www.yankeeclassic.com/miskatonic/library/stacks/literature/blackwood/stories/willows.htm
Robert W. Chambers' "The King In Yellow":
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/8492/8492-h/8492-h.htm
Arthur Machen's "The Great God Pan":
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/389
All of H.P. Lovecraft's fiction, volumes of work, can be read here:
http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/

Nice one, DOY! :D

She's always asking me if I can find her anything that's new to her and that can spark off other finds, of course.

We were already both familiar with Algernon Blackwood and H.P. Lovecraft, but Robert W. Chambers, Arthur Machen aren't ringing any bells with me at the moment. But once I take a look and do a bit more Googling, I'm sure they will. And she does know far more than I do, so quite likely will have heard of these, somewhere.

Many thanks!
"Aaarold... you should come round this side - her drawers have just dropped off!"
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:14 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Been very busy. Bought the complete 1980's series Till Death Do Us Part , Complete Love Thy Neighbour series 1 to 8 , Not Going Out series 1 to 6 plus Xmas specials, 70s horror series Shadows of Fear and Mystery and Imagination set. 8)

Some nice items here, ILS. :)

I thought a lot of the 80s 'Alf Garnett' (In Sickness And In Health? I've seen a boxset of it in HMV) was as funny and well written as the 70s ones... which I only got to see on BBC2 in the '90s. First time I saw 'new' episodes was circa 1980 when ITV made just the one series, as I recall - I think that would be good to see again but it wasn't a success like it had been on the beeb. It had the shortened title of Til Death and I'd have been about 10 or 11. It probably was at its peak in the 60s though and I love it when eps pop up on a well-known video streaming site!

Love Thy Neighbour... that has something in common with George And The Dragon, that I've not long finished watching - that's the actor Keith "I'll have half" Marsh. Very different roles, but he was great in G&TD as the uncouth gardener. I'll have to take another look at LTN soon; it's a few years ago I looked at some on You Tube and found it enjoyable. I remembered it from when it was shown but I was so little, it's very vague thinking all that way back in time.

I bought the missus Mystery and Imagination as part of her Christmas box. Looks like there's lots of treats in there and I do like to see classics like Dracula and Frankenstein retold. She's a fan of M.R. James and likes people 'inspired' by his writing and style.

Thanks TLMS. Yeah it only cost me £22.60 on ebay including Love Thy Neighbour at £14.00, and freepost both which isn't bad for the complete 70s & 80s series . 8)

Re Love Thy Neighbour being like George & The Dragon? Um... not really, George & The Dragon was similar to Terry & June compared to Love Thy Neighbour which was cross between Rising Damp and In Sickness and in Health but more racist lol. No I jest, although I must admit that it does have some uncomfortable terminology & banter spoken which makes it a tad cringeworthy viewing at times, but at least like Rising Damp & In Sickness and In Health it isn't one sided affair with charismatic caribbean Bill Reynolds ( Rupert Walker) winning the verbal insults and moral high ground against loud mouth opinionated Eddie Booth (Jack Smethurst). :)

(P/S) I'm a big fan of horror serials, and love MR James too. Got the whole BFI 6 disc Ghost Story For Christmas collection which is absolutely fantastic. :)

That's a VERY good price, for the comedy DVDs - things like that are a big temptation to me. :D

Did I say/imply Love They Neighbour being like George And The Dragon...? Oops! Apart from Keith Marsh and it being the same writers - not a chance. G&TD is very lightweight as you say; but I like a bit of that sometimes. I think with things like Love Thy Neighbour, the various Garnett tv series (and the first film... the second one 'The Alf Garnet Saga' is literally something else...!) and Mind Your Launguage, they are looked at now as 'of their time' when things were 'acceptable' and it's true that people see things with different eyes now, but the writers were trying to make a point which perhaps doesn't come across these days?

Anyway; something that DID miss the mark badly is Curry And Chips - if you've not seen it, it was on You Tube once again and for a comedy it's quite tough going - I can't say I found it all that funny and it is OTT... though I wanted to see what the fuss is about and love Sykes and Milligan. No wonder the DVD makes a point of the front cover of making everyone aware that it is and was very controversial! This is written by the creator of Alf Garnett.

I also got my gf the Ghost Stories For Christmas box set; there's a lot of watching in there and it's a nice package. HMV must have only just got it in stock, when I picked it up. Very worthwhile is the Network DVD of MR James' Casting The Runes; this was an ITV production and also includes (as 'bonus' features) Mr Humphreys And His Inheritance (an ITV Schools adaptation) and a drama documentary on the writer, made in 1995. This is still available, though I luckily found a secondhand copy on a shelf in a games shop - and I didn't know it existed until then! Also, I got the 2-disc 70s BBC version of Supernatural - this is a BFI release... I think that was from Amazon, I ordered it.
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:44 pm

TLMS, a person after me own heart. Yeah I like a bargain too, and whether it's Ebay, Amazon or the high Street I'm in there like Dracula on a pretty maiden's neck (slurpy slurp) lol. :twisted:

Ironically I've got over 3000 DVDs in the collection, and since 2000 when I started thinning out the VHS tapes or bricks as I used to refer to them until I change over to the new space aged funky format DVD costing half a weeks wages at the time. Anyway, with me having or sourcing most titles that I love it's getting increasingly difficult to find what I haven't got. :)

RE title mentioned Mind your Language & Curry & Chips. Absolutely love Barry Evans in Mind your Language which I have in my collection, and I loved the banter between all the newcomers learning English & British culture in between fighting between themselves lol . Curry & Chips, now that's one series I don't have but have seen some episodes on youtube which was an eye opener to say the least. As we all know it features an Irish Indian immigrant trying to fit in in 70s Britain, but under a lot, and I mean a lot of discrimination but like BIll in "Love Thy Neighbour" , Philip in "Rising Damp", Marigold in "in sickness and in Health" all gave a good as they got to show balance, but I agree that the terminology was outrageous, elements were funny I must admit but in Curry and Chips case would never get onto TV today for the obvious reasons, but I am torn as the actors that feature in it I love and respect greatly. :?

RE M R James DVDs. Boy I love Casting the Runes mentioned, in particular the scene with the giant orange spider gave me nightmares as a kid. Got my Christmas Ghost Story set for a steal on Ebay for an amazing £25.00 plus P&P, and what a bargain I thought seeing separate stories were going for ridiculous £50+ before the box set was released. Don't know if you've seen recently, but here's a good suggestion and the nearest I've ever come to a modern M R James story written by fellow horror lover and fan of M r James's work comic actor/writer Mark Gatis, who besides doing a recent Horror documentary about Universal Monsters & Hammer films wrote the BBC's 2008 Crooked House ghost anthology. 8)

(P/S) I'm hoping soon to buy 1970s BFI release Supernatural series mentioned and the Dead of NIght anthology series too, cross fingers. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:TLMS, a person after me own heart. Yeah I like a bargain too, and whether it's Ebay, Amazon or the high Street I'm in there like Dracula on a pretty maiden's neck (slurpy slurp) lol. :twisted:

Ironically I've got over 3000 DVDs in the collection, and since 2000 when I started thinning out the VHS tapes or bricks as I used to refer to them until I change over to the new space aged funky format DVD costing half a weeks wages at the time. Anyway, with me having or sourcing most titles that I love it's getting increasingly difficult to find what I haven't got. :)

RE title mentioned Mind your Language & Curry & Chips. Absolutely love Barry Evans in Mind your Language which I have in my collection, and I loved the banter between all the newcomers learning English & British culture in between fighting between themselves lol . Curry & Chips, now that's one series I don't have but have seen some episodes on youtube which was an eye opener to say the least. As we all know it features an Irish Indian immigrant trying to fit in in 70s Britain, but under a lot, and I mean a lot of discrimination but like BIll in "Love Thy Neighbour" , Philip in "Rising Damp", Marigold in "in sickness and in Health" all gave a good as they got to show balance, but I agree that the terminology was outrageous, elements were funny I must admit but in Curry and Chips case would never get onto TV today for the obvious reasons, but I am torn as the actors that feature in it I love and respect greatly. :?

RE M R James DVDs. Boy I love Casting the Runes mentioned, in particular the scene with the giant orange spider gave me nightmares as a kid. Got my Christmas Ghost Story set for a steal on Ebay for an amazing £25.00 plus P&P, and what a bargain I thought seeing separate stories were going for ridiculous £50+ before the box set was released. Don't know if you've seen recently, but here's a good suggestion and the nearest I've ever come to a modern M R James story written by fellow horror lover and fan of M r James's work comic actor/writer Mark Gatis, who besides doing a recent Horror documentary about Universal Monsters & Hammer films wrote the BBC's 2008 Crooked House ghost anthology. 8)

(P/S) I'm hoping soon to buy 1970s BFI release Supernatural series mentioned and the Dead of NIght anthology series too, cross fingers. :)

You're very kind! :D

Btw, I just checked this (to make sure my recollection was correct) and Dead Of Night has only the three known surviving episodes, which are on the BFI DVD.

I actually stopped collecting DVDs some years ago as I was finding I was watching some (most, actually) films and then selling them for next to nothing. But I started up again - in a small way though - and now only go for my favourites, then I know I will happily keep going back to them every few years or so. Same with boxed sets for TV series, though I find that buying them in the form of their individual discs now can be even cheaper than the sets... just takes a little patience and perseverance to get them at as much of a bargain price as possible. And yes, I was paying around £20 for DVDs seemingly not long ago that I now find for under £1.50! The VHS tapes I used to have appear to have been priced insanely, these days. Like you say, the Ghost Stories For Christmas set was/is expensive - maybe because like a lot of the BFI releases, it's intended for a smaller niche 'audience' and the BBC/BFI Supernatural was a pretty penny for a double disker too... Not that I'm moaning - if you were able to by that on VHS in the early 80s, it would have cost about a week's wages to most people.

I did watch Mind Your Language on Granada Plus, back when I got Sky and to have had years of people say it was about the most unfunny and offensive thing broadcast, made me wonder if they'd only ever seen certain clips?! And Barry Evans was great in the 'Doctor' series too, a funny guy who who's life and acting career certainly didn't go from strength to strength after these massively popular series - such a shame to read of his death as well; worth looking into if you already don't know... very sad. The only thing about Curry And Chips aside from the 'difficult' language, is that I wish it was a bit better written and apparantly Spike was going through one of his bad depressions when it was made and he really does look subdued in it - still has the ability to raise some good chuckles though!

I am VERY familiar with Mark Gatiss and his work; being someone who latched onto the whole League Of Gentlemen thing, early on. Not watched it much for a number of years, but I still have all the DVDs (apart from the film, gave that to a friend) and will likely be taking a peek at it sometime soon-ish. I've been seeing the reports about the Dad's Army film remake and think that it might be fine, as I've not seen anything he's been involved with turn out to be a clunker! He certainly knows his stuff, I would say.
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:47 pm

Been adding to my collection of comedy DVDs - more of the same really, just completing certain series.

Also, I've been getting into the Classic Albums series that was on TV, starting from the late 90s. A few months ago, I bought the Sex Pistols one (Never Mind The B*llocks) and a week or so ago I ordered The Band (The Band - their 2nd album) which I watched a couple of days ago and have yet to look at The Who (Who's Next.) Probably goes without saying that these are some of my favourite albums anyway (why buy them, if it were otherwise?) and I did have all these and more recorded from the tv at one time; others will be following - great stuff for someone like me who wants to know a lot of the ins and outs of how and why the records came to be made. :)

Would you believe I ordered The Complete Steptoe TV series box last night? :shock: Well, it's nice to have them all in one place and I didn't actually have the discs of the individual series anymore (though I got them all safely on my hard drives) and at the £8.99 (inc. P&P) I paid for it, it was too good to resist!

I also picked up the DVD of Monty Python's Meaning Of Life the other day (just £1) and I can see where that will lead me back to! :mrgreen:
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:12 pm

The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:Been adding to my collection of comedy DVDs - more of the same really, just completing certain series.

Also, I've been getting into the Classic Albums series that was on TV, starting from the late 90s. A few months ago, I bought the Sex Pistols one (Never Mind The B*llocks) and a week or so ago I ordered The Band (The Band - their 2nd album) which I watched a couple of days ago and have yet to look at The Who (Who's Next.) Probably goes without saying that these are some of my favourite albums anyway (why buy them, if it were otherwise?) and I did have all these and more recorded from the tv at one time; others will be following - great stuff for someone like me who wants to know a lot of the ins and outs of how and why the records came to be made. :)

Would you believe I ordered The Complete Steptoe TV series box last night? :shock: Well, it's nice to have them all in one place and I didn't actually have the discs of the individual series anymore (though I got them all safely on my hard drives) and at the £8.99 (inc. P&P) I paid for it, it was too good to resist!

I also picked up the DVD of Monty Python's Meaning Of Life the other day (just £1) and I can see where that will lead me back to! :mrgreen:

No shame in admitting that TLMS. :)

I myself got my box set only last year (signed 2x by Ray Galton & Alan Simpson), although like you had all my old VHS tapes transferred onto DVD back in 2001 seeing the series wasn't released until 2004 in separates then in complete Series 1/8 in 2009. Lucky in a way I still have those VHS/DVD recordings as the BBC with their wisdom cut scenes not in that box set. :roll:

(p/s) Good bargain with that Python DVD for a £1. I love searching around Boot Sales for bargains be it collectables, DVDs whatever. :wink:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:21 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:
The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:Been adding to my collection of comedy DVDs - more of the same really, just completing certain series.

I myself got my box set only last year (signed 2x by Ray Galton & Alan Simpson), although like you had all my old VHS tapes transferred onto DVD back in 2001 seeing the series wasn't released until 2004 in separates then in complete Series 1/8 in 2009. Lucky in a way I still have those VHS/DVD recordings as the BBC with their wisdom cut scenes not in that box set. :roll:

(p/s) Good bargain with that Python DVD for a £1. I love searching around Boot Sales for bargains be it collectables, DVDs whatever. :wink:

I did consider only re-buying the Steptoe series that were good quality (basically the existent colour ones) but how would that work? I'd be missing a LOT of my favourite episodes... silly thing to do. Of course, I know that there are better versions out there now :wink: and the evidence of this is not a million miles away(!) I do feel better in confessing... err... facing up to the fact that there was a gaping hole in my collection, by not having them any more (not quite the same, just having them on a computer) and so I know what I'll be (re)watching in a few days! You've got a signed copy - that's brilliant and very cool; I'd have to be going round telling everyone, if I did. Maybe sometime soon, eh? :D I also had the unedited Christmas episodes on VHS, from BBC IIRC and had no idea they were not so, on the dedicated DVD release. I originally bought the first series on DVD within days of it's release; I was surprised and quite excited to discover a review on Teletext (I still miss it, sad eh?) and that I hadn't manage to record or see 'The Bird' til then, being able to watch a 'new' episode, was a big bonus. The other I first saw on DVD was 'A Box In Town'; I heard the radio remake first, on BBC7 (as it was called) and that can't have been a year before the DVD came out.

The Meaning Of Life isn't my favourite Python film (that HAS to be Brian) but I've always been into everything they did together and most of the things I'm aware of them doing apart... which is obviously a huge body of work. It would be almost impossible to get hold of everything. But it's the first two Flying Circus tv series that I always return to; so many sketches that have almost become a part of culture now. :D
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:47 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:

I did consider only re-buying the Steptoe series that were good quality (basically the existent colour ones) but how would that work? I'd be missing a LOT of my favourite episodes... silly thing to do. Of course, I know that there are better versions out there now :wink: and the evidence of this is not a million miles away(!) I do feel better in confessing... err... facing up to the fact that there was a gaping hole in my collection, by not having them any more (not quite the same, just having them on a computer) and so I know what I'll be (re)watching in a few days! You've got a signed copy - that's brilliant and very cool; I'd have to be going round telling everyone, if I did. Maybe sometime soon, eh? :D I also had the unedited Christmas episodes on VHS, from BBC IIRC and had no idea they were not so, on the dedicated DVD release. I originally bought the first series on DVD within days of it's release; I was surprised and quite excited to discover a review on Teletext (I still miss it, sad eh?) and that I hadn't manage to record or see 'The Bird' til then, being able to watch a 'new' episode, was a big bonus. The other I first saw on DVD was 'A Box In Town'; I heard the radio remake first, on BBC7 (as it was called) and that can't have been a year before the DVD came out.

The Meaning Of Life isn't my favourite Python film (that HAS to be Brian) but I've always been into everything they did together and most of the things I'm aware of them doing apart... which is obviously a huge body of work. It would be almost impossible to get hold of everything. But it's the first two Flying Circus tv series that I always return to; so many sketches that have almost become a part of culture now. :D

I still can't fathom why the BBC cut scenes out of the re issued box set? Some codswallop about space if I can recall , but hopefully cross fingers an updated set possible on Blu ray will feature all the unedited segments returned taken out. I hope. :?

Yeah, out of all the films done LIfe of Brian is the best lol. The others are great too with Holy Grail coming a close second although I do like Jabberwocky for obvious reasons with Harry H appearing. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:47 pm

"Please read the bottom line."
"OK.....'Acme eye chart Company'. :roll:
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:14 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:I still can't fathom why the BBC cut scenes out of the re issued box set? Some codswallop about space if I can recall , but hopefully cross fingers an updated set possible on Blu ray will feature all the unedited segments returned taken out. I hope. :?

Yeah, out of all the films done LIfe of Brian is the best lol. The others are great too with Holy Grail coming a close second although I do like Jabberwocky for obvious reasons with Harry H appearing. 8)

I've always had a soft-spot for Jabberwocky (I do have the DVD) and don't understand why it hasn't got better reviews, down the years. But then, even a film that doesn't have a great script, direction or whatever - if it's helped along by 'guest' appearances, the I find a lot to enjoy in them... I can NEVER watch something like The Plank without having to at least mentally name everyone in it! :) And I bought Life Of Brian the other day - it's not like there are many more to get (had them all on tape and disc at least once, over the years.) Got the first TV series too, as it was cheap enough and I don't have to wait for the box to remind myself of what the episodes contain.

I can't see the TV series of Steptoe being released as a Blu Ray, mainly because it was only made in 'standard' definition, back in the day (forgetting for a moment, how bad about half of the episodes look for reasons we know about.) I'm not sure that there would be much (or any) of an improvement in picture quality for that reason. But there are standard definition Blu Rays out there of music concerts - so that the viewer/listener can use the High Definition Multi-Channel Audio that these discs feature.

The missing segments are indeed (to my knowledge) something that's never been explained. It could be that parts of the tapes were very badly damaged - I've read something like that but looking at a You Tube video with the missing bits edited back in to the version from the DVD (not difficult to tell) it's sometimes no more than a minute or so. But, I have a theory on it. A Dad's Army Christmas Special (from a book I read, a long time ago, I'm remembering it was Battle Of The Giants) it was cut down quite heavily - went from just over an hour to 50 minutes, or something close to this... an edit was made to be repeated in a shorter timeslot. This edited version has been reshown, even though the full one still exists - it must, as it got repeated after the edited repeat. I think the full version is on the DVD (when it arrives in the post sometime this week, I will know more!) So then, has the same happened to Steptoe And Son here? I think it sounds very likely. The reissued box set should really have this now intact- I say 'should.' But there we are. :(
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:I still can't fathom why the BBC cut scenes out of the re issued box set? Some codswallop about space if I can recall , but hopefully cross fingers an updated set possible on Blu ray will feature all the unedited segments returned taken out. I hope. :?

I've always had a soft-spot for Jabberwocky (I do have the DVD) and don't understand why it hasn't got better reviews, down the years. But then, even a film that doesn't have a great script, direction or whatever - if it's helped along by 'guest' appearances, the I find a lot to enjoy in them... I can NEVER watch something like The Plank without having to at least mentally name everyone in it! :) And I bought Life Of Brian the other day - it's not like there are many more to get (had them all on tape and disc at least once, over the years.) Got the first TV series too, as it was cheap enough and I don't have to wait for the box to remind myself of what the episodes contain.

I can't see the TV series of Steptoe being released as a Blu Ray, mainly because it was only made in 'standard' definition, back in the day (forgetting for a moment, how bad about half of the episodes look for reasons we know about.) I'm not sure that there would be much (or any) of an improvement in picture quality for that reason. But there are standard definition Blu Rays out there of music concerts - so that the viewer/listener can use the High Definition Multi-Channel Audio that these discs feature.

The missing segments are indeed (to my knowledge) something that's never been explained. It could be that parts of the tapes were very badly damaged - I've read something like that but looking at a You Tube video with the missing bits edited back in to the version from the DVD (not difficult to tell) it's sometimes no more than a minute or so. But, I have a theory on it. A Dad's Army Christmas Special (from a book I read, a long time ago, I'm remembering it was Battle Of The Giants) it was cut down quite heavily - went from just over an hour to 50 minutes, or something close to this... an edit was made to be repeated in a shorter timeslot. This edited version has been reshown, even though the full one still exists - it must, as it got repeated after the edited repeat. I think the full version is on the DVD (when it arrives in the post sometime this week, I will know more!) So then, has the same happened to Steptoe And Son here? I think it sounds very likely. The reissued box set should really have this now intact- I say 'should.' But there we are. :(

I got Jabberwocky a year or two back after hearing Harry H was in it, and I like anything done by the Monty Python team be it their movies or offshoots like Baron Munchausen, Time Bandits which is my favourite. 8)

Re Steptoe on blu ray. My initial want was not out of quality but space. Rumour going around as said was that the reason scenes were missing on the complete DVD box set down to the amount of information/quality compressed onto DVD, and how if it episodes were compressed further to fit the whole scenes cut it would be to the detriment to the episodes images with severe pixelization especially to the ones already suffering image quality problems being copies themselves ( The Galton & Simpson transfers). Blu ray would only give them (the BBC) freedom to add the entire episode uncut rather than messing around with them seeing it's a far superior as it supports more data than DVD does. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:"Please read the bottom line."

That rings a bell, somehow! :lol:
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:I got Jabberwocky a year or two back after hearing Harry H was in it, and I like anything done by the Monty Python team be it their movies or offshoots like Baron Munchausen, Time Bandits which is my favourite. 8)

Re Steptoe on blu ray. My initial want was not out of quality but space. Rumour going around as said was that the reason scenes were missing on the complete DVD box set down to the amount of information/quality compressed onto DVD, and how if it episodes were compressed further to fit the whole scenes cut it would be to the detriment to the episodes images with severe pixelization especially to the ones already suffering image quality problems being copies themselves ( The Galton & Simpson transfers). Blu ray would only give them (the BBC) freedom to add the entire episode uncut rather than messing around with them seeing it's a far superior as it supports more data than DVD does. :)

To my shame, I don't even recall seeing Baron Munchausen and don't have any excuse. :( So I need to change that, asap! Time Bandits has got so many great bits that I always forget about and it's a good reason to go back and remind myself... Got that as a freebie from the Daily Mail or whatever it was, same as The Missionary - I forgot I had that until I had a look earlier today; I should keep remembering to take a peek in those boxes they have on the counter in tons of charity shops. That's more of a traditional farce though but as usual, Michael Palin does a great job in it. :)

I was thinking of the quality of Steptoe DVDs too (vs putting them on BRs) and am aware that some episodes were compressed to fit on disc. If the BBC bods/the DVD manufacturers are saying they did this AND made cuts to get them to fit, then that makes no sense to me as the discs I have here and am looking at are on DVD9 discs. These are the first two series, that were sold separately and before the first box was available. the discs are dual-layer (I can't speak for later series, but why would they use anything els?) and should fit around 5 hours of video (as I believe a standard single-layer disc can take approx 2.5 hours of uncompressed video.) So a DVD9 should fit at lease 9 thirty minute episodes. It sounds like a proper bodge-job and I don't really don't want to ask this as I'm a bit worried about the answer, but I am now suspecting (from looking around the forum) that there are further cuts to the 2nd box? :? In any case, most of us on here will (SHOULD) know that the majority of these DVDS could (and can) look far better. And that we ARE able to see restored episodes which are amazing to look at! :) To put those on a Blu Ray (they'd probably all fit on just a few discs) and look at them on an old 4:3 CRT set (plenty of 90s ones still work like new and are cheap as you like) would be marvellous. And then I'd buy a player! Oh well, I'm glad to have them all in one place at my disposal once again and I've got the two films on the way to me now too. it must be about 5 years ago that I last saw them. 8)
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:27 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:"Please read the bottom line."

That rings a bell, somehow! :lol:

You’re thinking of an ear doctor mate. :wink:
Respectfully,
Quasimodo :o
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank