Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

The last DVD's you bought...

Discuss anything you like.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: The last DVD's you bought...

Postby Uncle Nobby » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:32 pm

I just bought the new Star Wars and the new Mad Max films.

I also bought a DVD of Secrets of the Underground after watching it on youtube, should be good.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed May 04, 2016 8:08 pm

Just bought the classic 70s kids series "The Siege of Golden Hill." 8)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun May 22, 2016 10:02 am

Many excellent charity shop finds recently; among them Bringing Up Baby (1938), The Lady Vanishes (1938), The Maltese Falcon (1941), Serpico (1973), Bound (1996) and ∏ (aka Pi, 1997). Some terrific VHS as well; Casablanca (1943), A Bronx Tale (1993), etc. Wish I’d know about that place much sooner but it’s kind of hidden away, a bit like Peter Cushing’s curio shop in the Amicus classic “From Beyond the Grave” :shock:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sun May 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Recently got 'Heaven knows Mr Allison' starring Robert Mitchum & Deborah Kerr. Mitchum plays a US Marine shipwrecked on a pacific island after his submarine is sunk by a Japanese destroyer, on the island he finds Deborah kerr a nun also stranded. They have a number of adventures such as Japs invading the island and hiding out in a cave.
Mitchum is forced to kill a Jap soldier when he is caught stealing blankets for the nun, just when they get discovered in the cave the Americans bomb the island, the Japs surrender and all ends well :o

Allison is my surname btw.
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Uncle Nobby » Mon May 23, 2016 9:26 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:
Dirty Old Yank wrote:"Please read the bottom line."
"OK.....'Acme eye chart Company'. :roll:

That rings a bell, somehow! :lol:

You’re thinking of an ear doctor mate. :wink:
Respectfully,
Quasimodo :o

Quasimodo's retiring,

He's getting 40 years back pay and a lump sum!
Uncle Nobby

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon May 23, 2016 10:21 am

Uncle Nobby wrote:Quasimodo's retiring,
He's getting 40 years back pay and a lump sum!

"Lump sum".....reads like takeaway with dumplings :o.
Archie wrote:Recently got 'Heaven knows Mr Allison' starring Robert Mitchum & Deborah Kerr...

The plot sounds reminiscent of the 1951 masterpiece “The African Queen” with Bogart and Hepburn, which like “Heaven Knows Mr. Allison” John Huston also directed. Film noir is a favorite but can’t recall seeing (the needless, greed motivated extinction of video shops is a crushing disappointment) any of Mitchum’s noir roles from that period, other than Charles Laughton’s classic, “Night of the Hunter” (1955). His supporting role in Jim Jarmusch’s excellent “Dead Man” (1995) is quite good too, a film worth looking for though it doesn't hold a candle to "Stranger Than Paradise" (1984) or "Down By Law" (1986) 8). More excellent charity shop finds including Scarface (1932), D.O.A. (1950), Tarantula! (1955), The Mole People (1956), Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974), Police Squad! (1982, complete series), The Mission (1986), Mystery Train (1989), Cry Baby (1989, director’s cut), Kansas City (1996).
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon May 30, 2016 11:53 am

Stumbled across a good one yesterday that fans of low/no budget horror might enjoy, “We Are Still Here” (2015). Clearly an homage to Lucio Fulchi’s “The Beyond”* (1981) which the filmmakers freely admit, it has many of the same elements that were Fulchi trademarks including very thin plot and gratuitous violence. The only thing missing is Lucio’s well documented raving misogyny. Still, We Are Still Here is a definite improvement upon any of Fulchi’s ‘gates of hell’ trilogy and worth looking for, Barbara Crampton (of Stuart Gordon’s classics “Re-Animator” and
“From Beyond”) stars.
*The 2008 uncensored all regions re-release of The Beyond boasts this redeeming feature: a frequently funny actors commentary track by Catriona MacColl and a very ill David Warbeck, his sense of humour intact.
Recorded for laserdisc, Warbeck passed on 2 weeks later.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Uncle Nobby » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:46 pm

Archie wrote:Recently got 'Heaven knows Mr Allison' starring Robert Mitchum & Deborah Kerr. Mitchum plays a US Marine shipwrecked on a pacific island after his submarine is sunk by a Japanese destroyer, on the island he finds Deborah kerr a nun also stranded. They have a number of adventures such as Japs invading the island and hiding out in a cave.
Mitchum is forced to kill a Jap soldier when he is caught stealing blankets for the nun, just when they get discovered in the cave the Americans bomb the island, the Japs surrender and all ends well :o

Allison is my surname btw.

Afternoon DOY.

Silly me, I just watched Mother Goose on youtube with Cary Grant, thinking that I'd reply to your post but got the wrong actor :D
Uncle Nobby

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:01 pm

Just bought comedy Simon, Simon (1970) with Graeme Stark & John Junkin. Both play council repair workers who operate a platform crane. Very funny. A bit like The Plank. It has no actual dialogue but has a music score. There's loads of cameos in from likes of Morcambe & Wise, Peter Sellers ect.... Worth seeing. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Delighted to finally be able to add “Up Pompeii” to my short-list of all time favorite sitcoms :D.
With Frankie Howerd starring that might seem a no-brainer, but without the sound advise of folks in the UK...
this side of the pond would never know about such excellent entertainment, including Steptoe.
Vastly more entertaining than the highly touted and bigger budgeted “I, Claudius” which came later.
...far more educational too :wink:.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Uncle Nobby » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:03 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Delighted to finally be able to add “Up Pompeii” to my short-list of all time favorite sitcoms :D.
With Frankie Howerd starring that might seem a no-brainer, but without the sound advise of folks in the UK...
this side of the pond would never know about such excellent entertainment, including Steptoe.
Vastly more entertaining than the highly touted and bigger budgeted “I, Claudius” which came later.
...far more educational too :wink:.

You mean I Clavdius!

Did the muse seem familiar?

"Titter Ye Not!
Uncle Nobby

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:24 am

Uncle Nobby wrote:You mean I Clavdius!
Did the muse seem familiar?
"Titter Ye Not!

I never studied Latin and some miserable berk stole my antique copy of ‘Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire’. But you’re right, I should’ve substituted a V in Claudius, as Frankie did at the end of some of the episodes: Salute V :o.
There’s lots familiar about the show including some actors (difficult not to notice Valerie Leon, Bill Maynard, Larry Martyn, Derek Francis and George Baker went on to do ‘I, Clavdius’) and some gags that got nicked by later sitcoms.
“Titter ye not”? Before discovering the Carry On’s and Up Pompeii I’d never seen so much eye-popping cleavage on screen :shock:. A virtual compendium, nay, a cornucopia of curvaceous crumpet! A plethora of pulchritude, if you will.
Mary Whitehouse et al must’ve been ecstatic to have so much to moan about :roll:.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:03 pm

Just bought the cult 70s series The Tyrant King ( by creators of Ace of wands) and TV comedy show Dawsons Weekly starring Les Dawson and friends (written by one and only Galton & Simpson). 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:44 pm

Some outstanding music documentary finds recently and can heartily recommend them all. Some with exceptionally rare footage, others with interviews, some with both and all great fun :o. Among the best, but not limited to, are...

“The Damned: Don’t You Wish That We Were Dead” (2016).
Excerpts of recent tour performances mostly, some archival clips, lots of interviews with extras, a must see!
The funny bits are so funny, that filmmaker Wes Orshoski was able to keep from laughing out loud and shaking his handheld shots must be due to super-human restraint, that or a mini-steadicam rig :o.

“Circle Jerks: My Career As A Jerk” (2012).
Lots of archival footage of the brilliant, scathingly tight, hugely influential punk band with interviews, also a must!

“Dance Craze: The Best of British Ska.....Live!” (1981, 85 min, all regions).
This one deserves to be highlighted not just because of the joyous, flawless musicianship...and the film’s troubled history...but because it continues to be haunted online by misleading, even grossly inaccurate claims and greedy sellers that fail to mention that it’s public domain. Or that the director and cinematographer weren’t paid a penneth. If you dig 2 Tone (and who wouldn’t) this widescreen dvd is key, as is the soundtrack. But buyer beware of internet twisters, it shouldn’t be necessary to pay more than £12 for the pair, new.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:16 pm

Just bought the remastered version of 70s kids sci-fi series Timeslip with Spencer Banks. Nice. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat