Re: Your Favorite CDs

Postby harryfaversham » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:11 pm

Just bought Reign In Blood by Slayer. Nice ambient chillout grooves lol
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby Tom Jones » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:16 am

Crowded House, Bond and lately a craving for Mozart.
Tom Jones

Postby harryfaversham » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:21 pm

Looking forward to Richie Sambora's new album

harryfaversham

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 pm

Anything by Garth Brooks. This guy reciting the alphabet would be genius.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:00 pm

Do you watch the Phil Mack show Sky 191 Mon 9pm, Wed 8pm ?.

I get a birthday mention on this weeks show 8)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby harryfaversham » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Dylan's new album Tempest is brilliant. That the man is still writing magnificent songs at 71 after 50 years is nothing short of absolute unparalleled genius

harryfaversham

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:35 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Iggy/Stooges
"Rattus Norvegicus" Stranglers
"Jumpin' Jive" Joe Jackson

Right- some questions... about a post from a few years ago. :D
I'm a bit of an Iggy/Stooges fan and my fave is without a doubt, Fun House. Apart from the original CD, I've got the double vinyl reissue with a second LP of bonus takes etc - one of my very most prized items in my music collection! Seriously, it's one of the very best rock albums I've every heard (and this is coming from someone who loves Hendrix, The Who, Zeppelin, Deep Purple - you name it..) The question is, did you know that Iggy remixed Raw Power? This will be the current version that's out on CD, and although it's still distorted sounding and all, it's much better to my ears than the original version that did of it. I've tracks on the Nude and Rude compilation, which are from the original and it's miles better now, I'd say.

The Stranglers, I've been a fan of since I can remember - do you prefer the earlier Hugh Cornwell era version, or the latter-day one? It's the earlier for me with Black and White being what I'd call their 'classic' but I've got a CD on the way to me in the post which has later tracks on as I feel I've never given them a real chance, past the early 80s when they went a bit more mellow.

And Jumpin' Jive - Am I glad you mention this!? When I was a kid, I was already into his music through his first two (Look Sharp and I'm The Man) and I still listen to these three, very often. My Mum couldn't believe I actually liked this album - that my eldest brother had... he used to review them for a local newspaper and so would get a load of free ones, which meant I'd end up with some weird and wonderful stuff that he wasn't too fussed about. I can't understand why I hear so many say they dislike this album and I heard an interview years ago where JJ himself was almost disowning it, telling people 'just listen to the originals' - so I came to like that stuff too (if I like something, I like it - no matter the genre or whatever else)! I've owned a few other JJs apart from what I mention (including at the moment, Beat Crazy, which is good but not one of his best I say) they're all worthy as he's always been such a great writer. What I was going to ask is have you heard The Duke and if so, what you thought of it?
"Aaarold... you should come round this side - her drawers have just dropped off!"
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:40 am

The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:Right- some questions...about a post from a few years ago. :D
...Iggy/Stooges...The Stranglers...And Jumpin' Jive...

Iggy/Stooges...I don’t have a favorite album, some favorite songs though. At the top of the list might be the 300 beats per minute (or so it seems lol), dirty studio recording of “Gimme Some Skin”. Another favorite of many Stooges songs, “T.V. Eye”. Iggy’s solo work with Bowie was extraordinary too, until post facto ‘heavy metal’ themes took hold and became the fashion. There’s some old b/w footage of the Stooges...Iggy standing above the audience who were holding him up by his legs as he flings peanut butter in all directions, ever see it? Look at any face in that audience...with the possible exception of those allergic to peanuts, everybody is grinning ear to ear. Great fun. :D
I didn't know he remixed Raw Power, haven't heard it but seems a bit superflous, a double dip.
Stranglers...Their first LP is inarguably key! If kids these days aren’t listening to Rattus Norvegicus, chances are they’re being led up the garden path by pied pipers. Once again, no favorite albums but some timeless songs that are still excellent, even their ‘men in black’ stuff (which ‘hollywood’ ripped off without credit), such as “Just Like Nothing On Earth”.
Joe Jackson's “Jumpin’ Jive”, I wore out turntable styluses listening to that album. Absolutely first rate. It never gets tiresome, can’t do better than that!
Would like to read more of your faves and what you think about some of the other artists mentioned. :D
If you’re a Punk fan, you might enjoy this book, “Live At The Masque: Nightmare In Punk Alley” (Brendan Mullen / Gingko Press / 2007). More than just a book, an essential, historic document. Very highly recommended. 8)
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:39 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:Right- some questions...about a post from a few years ago. :D
...Iggy/Stooges...The Stranglers...And Jumpin' Jive...

Iggy/Stooges...I don’t have a favorite album, some favorite songs though. At the top of the list might be the 300 beats per minute (or so it seems lol), dirty studio recording of “Gimme Some Skin”. Another favorite of many Stooges songs, “T.V. Eye”. Iggy’s solo work with Bowie was extraordinary too, until post facto ‘heavy metal’ themes took hold and became the fashion. There’s some old b/w footage of the Stooges...Iggy standing above the audience who were holding him up by his legs as he flings peanut butter in all directions, ever see it? Look at any face in that audience...with the possible exception of those allergic to peanuts, everybody is smiling ear to ear. Great fun. :D
Stranglers...Their first LP is inarguably key! If kids these days aren’t listening to Rattus Norvegicus, chances are they’re being led up the garden path by pied pipers. Once again, no favorite albums but some timeless songs that are still excellent, even their ‘men in black’ stuff (which ‘hollywood’ ripped off without credit), such as “Just Like Nothing On Earth”.
Joe Jackson's “Jumpin’ Jive”, I wore out turntable styluses listening to that album. Absolutely first rate. It never gets tiresome, can’t do better than that!
Would like to read more of your faves and what you think about some of the other artists mentioned. :D
If you’re a Punk fan, you might enjoy this book, “Live At The Masque: Nightmare In Punk Alley” (Brendan Mullen / Gingko Press / 2007). More than just a book, an essential, historic document. Very highly recommended. 8)

It was really their appearance at Glastonbury that got me properly into The Stooges, though I already had The Idiot, to my shame I'd not heard much besides! I've got a rough-ish sounding live version of T.V. Eye on a compilation CD with Bowie on keys - pretty intense... great version and I don't know if I prefer that or the studio version. It would be a favourite Stooges song anyway. I need to find that clip you mention; I will be looking at the likeliest place on the net, shortly.

Rattus - superb! When I had a couple of bands going, in one we'd play some Stranglers songs and one was Down In The Sewer.. I had to learn that and as there was just the two of us (sometime with a backing on Mini Disc, made by the both of us - usually just a drum machine) I copied all the keyboard bits I could onto guitar and we'd always get requests for that. Another one I loved playing more than most was Toiler On The Sea and my bass-playing/singing mate Dave was a big fan of early Stranglers, so knew already knew a lot of the JJ Burnell things. We did mostly punky/new-wave songs and a bit of Velvet Underground, Roxy Music -mostly anything we thought wasn't too run-of-the-mill. Except we did throw Born To Be Wild and Freebird in, for the hell of it. :lol: Slight error earlier - this CD I got of Stranglers' 'later' tracks.. well, it is but only goes to 1990 - so still Hugh Cornwell era, albeit the mellow ones. This will probably do fine as far as those days go, as it liked some of the later hits and I've never felt the urge to buy the albums from that time - not quite like what came before but they've always been quality musicians. Just like Nothing On Earth is always one I've thought was great; I like that weirdness that would come to the surface that they had such a brilliant grasp off... and fairly eerie at times too.

I've given Jumpin' Jive some hammer too - my LP still plays remarkably well, considering! Some things I've just never gone out of my way to look for on CD - if I see it, then fair enough - but otherwise I could be looking at something new (or new to me) or getting reacquainted with something I've not heard for years. Thinking about, this great album is going to get yet another play tonight - I had terrible trouble getting a copy of this after I'd not heard it in decades and then some years ago, a friend got a computer and asked if I wanted anything ordering from eBay... this and Bill Nelson's Red Noise: Sound On Sound (great album - but I have to be in the mood for it) were the first two things I said. The Bill Nelson one is quite frantic on some tracks and it sounds quite Captain Beefheart (who I like a lot and have albums of) influenced to me, these days. It was another I'd not heard for too long!

I'll have a think about what else I can mention - but be warned, I do class myself as having quite eclectic tastes - but then how do I know that you don't, also? :) Some things may seem a bit cheesy though... I don't believe in 'guilty pleasures' and all that sort of thing - I gave up trying to like things that were 'cool' in my teens and in my 20s, started listening to Beethoven and Louis Armstrong, which is a couple of decades ago. I do like a lot of punk and I'll have a look for the book you mention - I get a lot of things from Amazon these days and although I've ordered books recently, I don't read as much as I should - I used to read loads, but I think this thing called the Internet is to blame sometimes! :P
"Aaarold... you should come round this side - her drawers have just dropped off!"
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:54 pm

The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:I'll have a think about what else I can mention - but be warned, I do class myself as having quite eclectic tastes...Captain Beefheart (who I like a lot and have albums of) influenced to me, these days.

No worries Mrs S, music is inherently eclectic by nature, save for those instances when it becomes mass market product, bands obliged by an industry to be like fast food, indistinguishable from one another. One wonders at the endurance of people forced to listen to mind numbing ‘soft rock’ and ‘easy listening music’ all day, dental hygienists for example. But far worse are so called ‘classic rock’ stations. Go to the supermarket and hear “Frampton Comes Alive” playing for the 500 millionth time, wander to the check-out and you can see the cashier’s teeth grinding, their will crumbling :shock:.
I miss second hand record shops so much, the simple pleasure of rummaging for hours to find the odd gem. Jazz records, Hawaiian, Folk, African, Punk, Classical, Zydeko, Surfing, Big Band, Polka, Gamelan, Gregorian, Doo-Wop, you name it, it’s all good :o. The only thing I've found recently is an Ella Fitzgerald record, from a charity shop. She rocked! 8)
You mentioned Captain Beefheart (aka Don Van Vliet), an extraordinary artist and an incredibly well rehearsed band, wrong notes did not happen. A similarly uncompromising artist you might enjoy and I heartily recommend: Zoogz Rift. Zoogz’s compositions also fearlessly challenge the ear and mind. Outstanding musicianship, but notably, his lyrics were breathtakingly funny! The lazy interpretation is that Zoogz (like George Carlin before him) was a misanthropist, but nothing could be further from the truth. A lovely fella who unfortunately passed on, not many years back.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:46 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:I'll have a think about what else I can mention - but be warned, I do class myself as having quite eclectic tastes...Captain Beefheart (who I like a lot and have albums of) influenced to me, these days.

No worries Mrs S, music is inherently eclectic by nature, save for those instances when it becomes mass market product, bands obliged by an industry to be like fast food, indistinguishable from one another. One wonders at the endurance of people forced to listen to mind numbing ‘soft rock’ and ‘easy listening music’ all day, dental hygienists for example. But far worse are so called ‘classic rock’ stations. Go to the supermarket and hear “Frampton Comes Alive” playing for the 500 millionth time, wander to the check-out and you can see the cashier’s teeth grinding, their will crumbling :shock:.
I miss second hand record shops so much, the simple pleasure of rummaging for hours to find the odd gem. Jazz records, Hawaiian, Folk, African, Punk, Classical, Surfing, Big Band, Polka, Gamelan, Gregorian, Doo-Wop, you name it, it’s all good :o. The only thing I've found recently is an Ella Fitzgerald record, from a charity shop. She rocked! 8)
You mentioned Captain Beefheart (aka Don Van Vliet), an extraordinary artist and an incredibly well rehearsed band, wrong notes did not happen. A similarly uncompromising artist you might enjoy and I heartily recommend: Zoogz Rift. Zoogz’s compositions also fearlessly challenge the ear and mind. Outstanding musicianship, but notably, his lyrics were breathtakingly funny! The lazy interpretation is that Zoogz (like George Carlin before him) was a misanthropist, but nothing could be further from the truth. A lovely fella who unfortunately passed on, not many years back.

You know, I've never owned a copy of Frampton Comes Alive! Maybe it's because it became a bit of an in-joke, in music papers when I was trying to find as many albums I might like, depending on what my pocket would allow. :D But I remember a friend buying it some years later and... I still didn't. When I go into cafes after months and hear them playing the same one compilation CD, I wonder how they can numb themselves to it and switch off - that must take some effort. :roll: Some places I've worked at, have had the radio playing in the background and I don't know half the time if the repetition of the songs they play (little of them I would choose to hear a second time) or the DJ's 'banter' is worse... and the combination of both just made matters worse!!

I'm fortunate that I have a market near me and am able to pick anything up that takes my fancy - always been the same with charity shops, no wonder I've amassed so much classical music over the years. And I don't think I'd have taken a risk on things like jazz (that few of my peers can even understand me having houseroom for) if not for finding CDs like Kind Of Blue on the shelves in them, thus sparking off a Miles Davis collecting habit! I actually do a bit of volunteering in a charity shop and our main thing is media (CDs/DVDs/Vinyl) and although I rarely see anything out of the ordinary, it's an economical way to pick old favourites or 'new to me' albums up, when you're on a tight budget, as I am.

I agree about Beefheart - and it's not just the documentaries that make me believe that, as you say, there were no 'wrong' notes and it was all rehearsed... listening to early versions of tracks he rehearsed a little later, you can hear it already there . It may be that the arrangements have things in a slightly different order, but it's very enlightening to show that improvisation wasn't even needed, for where he and The Magic Band took their music. I'd not heard of Zoogz Rift til now, but I am going to rectify that ASAP - and take a look online - I'm always scared of missing something if I don't follow any leads up. I'm trying, before I listen to picture how his music might sound and am thinking of so many people here that I could be way off... I need to just listen. And I will be sure to come back about this and a few other things. :)
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun May 17, 2015 10:03 pm

The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:You know, I've never owned a copy of Frampton Comes Alive!

I did :oops:.
Adding to my list of faves...
Germs “(MIA) Complete Anthology”
John Lee Hooker “Greatest Hits”
Dick Gregory "Talks Turkey"
Otis Redding “Deep Memphis Soul”
"Night On the Delta" (acoustic blues compilation)
Firesign Theatre "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers" :o
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Fri May 22, 2015 10:19 am

Currently listening to a guy called Colin Train who comes from Archie's neck of the woods. Really good stuff, I will be seeing him at Inverarry Castle later this year.

Next week it is Oban and Skerryvorre !!
bob
Site Admin

Postby Uncle Nobby » Fri May 29, 2015 8:25 pm

As others have said it depends on the mood.

Here goes what I've listened to lately:

Inside the Electic Circus & Headless Children - WASP,
The Best of Rolf Harris,
Music from the Elder - KISS,
Chemical Wedding - Bruce Dickinson,
The Worst of Judge Dread,
Unchained Melodies - The Goons,
New Boots and Panties - Ian Dury and The Blockheads.

Edit: Yes anything by Captain Beefheart or Jethro Tull.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat