Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Leonard Rossiter

Discuss anything you like.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Leonard Rossiter

Postby harryfaversham » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:05 pm

According to the papers he's the latest one accused of abuse. Is this never gonna end?
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Re: Leonard Rossiter

Postby steptoe and son scrap » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:16 am

it is true Leonard Rossiter is a pedophile?
Albert Steptoe: 'Ere, that's a What the Butler Saw machine!

Harold Steptoe: Ah, you recognize it! Takes you back to your lecherous youth, does it?

You're worse than a fly 'round a cow's arsehole.
steptoe and son scrap

Postby bob » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:11 pm

Whooa. Steady on guys.

Please be very careful before you post any comments about any individual dead or alive. No matter how certain you may be about the facts, it is important (for more reasons than I can explain) that these conversations do not make claims about people until it is “official”.
I
would rather not lock these forums but may have to if they get go too far.

Thank You
Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby harryfaversham » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:12 pm

Bob, I totally agree. I am not making any claims, just wondering where this is going to end. While I do not excuse in any form what Savile ALLEGEDLY did (as it is vile and reprehensible if true), I can't help wondering why the finger is pointing at quite a few deceased celebrities at the moment. They are not here to answer the allegations and as soon as one is accused, all others seem to be accused at the same time. Tarring everybody with the same brush if you will. I also do not understand why alleged victims have waited until now to come forward regardless of who allegedly abused them. Way way before the Savile accusations became public knowledge underage abuse and paedophilia were seriously investigated and dealt with to the limit of the law because of the nature of the offense. However, it takes an international news story on one man for alleged victims of other celebrities to finally come forward? I do not see the logic in it. Granted, I fully accept that most, if not all of these alleged victims were afraid to speak out or were dismissed if they did speak up whilst said celebrity was alive, but, aside from Savile, two other alleged abusers have been dead for well over 25 years. Why not come forward before now? Surely it shouldn't take a story on one supposed celebrity abuser for alleged victims of others to finally speak up? It just strikes me as strange that more and more names are being brought into this story each week. Maybe I'm naive but it sure as hell wouldn't take anything for me to name and shame anybody who had committed this disgusting crime on me and do everything in my power to ensure they were bought to justice while they were alive so they could receive the proper punishment. Anyway, rant over lol just wanted to make my point.

harryfaversham

Postby bob » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:53 am

Harry
I have no problems with qualified comments. You did say that it had been "alleged" in the newspapers.

I was concerned with Scraps comment that it was definite. He could only make such a comment if he was present when these alleged incidents took place. I sincerely hope he wasn’t.

I think the weight of evidence against Savile is now overwhelming, and just like Robert Maxwell, who never stood trail, we can accept the claims against him to be true.

Where we have just one comment being made against one person, I think we need to tread very carefully. Of course the victim needs to be free to make their claims, but likewise such claims should not be allowed to become established fact, before they have been tested and verified.

Just think how the Rossiter family must be feeling, if this is nothing more than an exaggerated newspaper story.

If you do want to discuss these things please be careful about the language that is used, and remember that you run the risk (under the terms of using this forum) that you are personally liable for any damaging comments you make.

I have no desire to stop free speech. Personally, I would leave these matters alone. We have many better things to discuss.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:29 am

Agreed.

Just to clarify however, according to the report all people in the alleged Roster incident were 18 or over at the time. This does NOT justify anything, however.

Oh and remember whether you make a comment on a forum, website or even a flippant remark on Facebook or YouTube you are still subject to the libel laws of the country you post in. Recently individuals have sued successfully when someone said something about them on Facebook. Be sensible guys.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:59 am

On a lighter note, could somebody recommend "The Fall and Rise of Reggie Perrin"?
I've only seen the first 3 series of "Rising Damp" and Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" :)
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:52 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:On a lighter note, could somebody recommend "The Fall and Rise of Reggie Perrin"?
I've only seen the first 3 series of "Rising Damp" and Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" :)

"The Fall and Rise of..." I love, but it's not the most conventional sitcom. There is heavy continuity. Series 1 and 2 were adapted from books, series 3 was written for Tv then made in to a book.

"Perrin" shows what a great actor Rossiter was as he plays various types of character. Personally I like his final work "Trippers Day" which is now on official dvd but people seem to pan it just because it was his last. Okay, it isnt in the league of "Rising Damp" but that doesn't make it bad, it is a gentle comedy and has some good moments in it.

I would recommend either of these sitcoms.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby harryfaversham » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:26 pm

He was great in everything he appeared in

harryfaversham

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:19 pm

There's no doubt Leonard Rossiter's performances are all brilliant and that Reggie Perrin is an excellent show. But having seen Rising Damp, it might be a bit of a let down, for me anyway, to invest in something tamer than Rising Damp and thanks for confirming my suspicions. The Fall and Rise will remain on my wish list though!!! This bears out what I've been saying for a very long time: No wonder Steptoe isn't distributed here. Fawlty may be the best farce, but it's very difficult to deny Steptoe is the best sitcom in the English language. And having seen the best, why settle for less? It's not as if talented writers of original material dropped off the planet, so what gives?
Dirty Old Yank

Postby harryfaversham » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:52 pm

I'm so glad I'm not a septic lol btw DOY who got ur vote for the election?

harryfaversham

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:03 pm

harryfaversham wrote:I'm so glad I'm not a septic...

Why?
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby harryfaversham » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Only in terms of the way TV is regulated and policed where u r DOY. Every American I have ever met has been absolutely salt of the earth. Apologies if any offense was taken. It was worded wrong.

harryfaversham

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:43 am

harryfaversham wrote:...Apologies if any offense was taken.

None taken. I don't know about that salt of the earth stuff though lol.
You're right about yank telly and "policed" is an accurate description, but it's unfair to constables. Normally I don't watch cable (broadcast/free telly has been eviscerated) but my recent hospital stay I had that thing on 24 hours a day for a week and I didn't sleep at all. Dozens upon dozens of channels and all of such appallingly poor quality, watching those shows you think....this is what brain damage must be like. People actually pay to see this? This is how Americans spend their leisure time? In that entire week there were only 2 good shows, both reruns and both late at night. An old Simpsons episode and a bizarre Halloween episode of South Park I'd not seen before (that was a hoot!!) Subtract commercial breaks and that's less than an hour. Out of 168. Grim.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby harryfaversham » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Gimme an iPod and Dylan's discography anyday

harryfaversham

Next

Return to Chit Chat