Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

New DVD release of unaired American "The offer" pilot

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

New DVD release of unaired American "The offer" pilot

Postby taylorslade » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:00 am

Hello everyone, been a while since i last posted, even though I check the board quite frequently. Anyhow, I came across this new (pre order for August ) DVD release of the unaired American pilot version of The Offer. Apologies if someone posted this previously but I couldn't find any posts about its release and I think it's fairly big news so had to post this so nobody would miss out.

I would love to know the story behind this being found, as personally it gives me optimism about the possibility of the "lost" colour episodes being found one day.

I have ordered my DVD, there's not much content other than the episode and one special feature.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steptoe-Son-Lost-Pilot-DVD/dp/B079ZSVMSY
"Big Bristols , she had."
--Come dancing.
taylorslade

Re: New DVD release of unaired American "The offer" pilot

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:56 pm

Most things that are "lost" arent actually lost, they are just keeping them from us. Such as we know the BBC have a full colour copy of "A Winter's Tale" in their archive. Also, sometimes the person who has it doesn't know that it is of any interest to others.

I didn't like the american remake but that is personal taste. There are few US Sitcoms that I do like. I would like to hear the story too. Thanks for your post.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Re: New DVD release of unaired American "The offer" pilot

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:01 pm

PhilGlass wrote:I didn't like the american remake but that is personal taste.

Agree with you Phil, but it’s important to keep that show...not just in historical context, following so closely on
the heels of nationwide civil unrest. There were as many lack luster episodes of the enormously popular Afro-American version of Steptoe…”Sanford and Son”…as there were reasons for them. Not the least of which was notorious production parsimony that refused to pay their Black lead actors a wage commensurate with what
almost overnight became NBC's #1 cash cow, arguably the most popular show on television regardless of
network. And though it’s not surprising that the better episodes of the first few series’ were based directly
on Ray & Alan’s scripts, I'm convinced this was one of the most remarkable, and daring original Sanford
scripts: “Lamont Goes African” (1972) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAYdAR81VHA.
It mirrors Albert and Harold’s relationship very closely and compassionately...
...well worth 25 minutes of anybody’s time :D.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Return to Share your news