Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

new dvd player

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

new dvd player

Postby harold » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:56 pm

got a new dvd player once again watching the boxset
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Re: new dvd player

Postby Archie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:43 pm

I have just ordered a used VHS Recorder!! £50 from £ Bay - the reason is that I have cancelled my Sky subscription due to the HD box constantly freezing up :x

My shelves are full of dusty VHS tapes so I will have plenty of stuff to watch :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:09 pm

I've got well over 4000 DVDs and I got shot of Sky 10 yrs ago and never looked back. Utter bliss. I'm saving on money which means more DVDs & Blue rays. 8)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Archie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:00 pm

I was in a local charity shop today and picked up an Aiwa 6 head Nicam VCR for only a fiver. The woman said we can't guarantee it works. Well I got it home set it up and the picture is perfect :o

It's ridiculous that the manufacturers stopped making VCRs there must be millions upon millions of perfectly good tapes gathering dust :(
Archie

Postby harryfaversham » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:57 pm

Anybody here still got a Betamax player?
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:12 pm

harryfaversham wrote:Anybody here still got a Betamax player?

Anyone here still got a V2000?

Betamax was way better quality, just the tapes only held two hours. Betamax should have won any day. Then of course we had video discs and laser discs! What next? lol
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:41 pm

PhilGlass wrote:
harryfaversham wrote:Anybody here still got a Betamax player?

Anyone here still got a V2000?

Betamax was way better quality, just the tapes only held two hours. Betamax should have won any day. Then of course we had video discs and laser discs! What next? lol

My parents got a Sanyo Betamax player in 1983 costing a tasty £599. Indeed it was way better visual quality then the VHS counterpart but like all defunct products and as soon as VHS got the main market like HD did with Blue ray they stopped producing blank 30min/60min Tapes ( Who can remembver £20 a tape too which only lasted 60mins :shock: ) films and the section slowly disappeared in the vid store towards the mid eighties. Ironically enough I bought about 15yrs ago a massive generation 1 Betamax from my local boot sale and it weighed a ton but was extremely well made. Shame I sold it for £10 four years later because they're like gold dust now. :o

See link to ebay at some Betamax prices: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-BETAMAX- ... 232914bd36

Ilovesteptoe

Postby harryfaversham » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:45 pm

Ripley isn't too far from me!
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:19 pm

harryfaversham wrote:Ripley isn't too far from me!

Shame. Although it's worth a trawl of ebay in hope there's one a tad nearer for you but it's amazing how many are still out there. I'm not a surprised in one way though as they weigh a ton and you need a spare house or extension to store them in. :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby bob » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:54 pm

there must be millions upon millions of perfectly good tapes gathering dust

And on those tapes somewere must be the missing colour episodes !!
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:59 pm

I have a programme on one of my videos about a bloke who was a fan travelling around London visiting the locations where Steptoe was filmed.

Now that I no longer have Sky I'll have another go at looking for it :o
Archie

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Seeing the Beta format was out before the VHS I think surely as mentioned someone with deep pockets was able to purchase a unit and like the great Bob Monkhouse who taped many shows on TV at the time and on radio for his personal viewing saved many lost gems from Hancock ect... The ruddy BBC were destroying programs even as late as the early ninties with episodes of Rentaghost and even as early as the late seventies with Dr who. :roll: There always hope of hidden gems lying between masses of tapes. There got to be some with the amount of recordings done. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Seeing the Beta format was out before the VHS I think surely as mentioned someone with deep pockets was able to purchase a unit and like the great Bob Monkhouse who taped many shows on TV at the time and on radio for his personal viewing saved many lost gems from Hancock ect... The ruddy BBC were destroying programs even as late as the early ninties with episodes of Rentaghost and even as early as the late seventies with Dr who. :roll: There always hope of hidden gems lying between masses of tapes. There got to be some with the amount of recordings done. :)

Strangely, Kaleidoscope, who control Bob Monkhouse's film archive since his death, deny that there is any steptoe content whatsoever. Let's get this straight, Steptoe was the BIGGEST comedy show of all time, how can he have not even recorded one accidentally by leaving a tape running? They are adamant on this. But as Bob says, if it's correct and they aren't there, those colour episodes are somewhere at least...
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:25 pm

PhilGlass wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Seeing the Beta format was out before the VHS I think surely as mentioned someone with deep pockets was able to purchase a unit and like the great Bob Monkhouse who taped many shows on TV at the time and on radio for his personal viewing saved many lost gems from Hancock ect... The ruddy BBC were destroying programs even as late as the early ninties with episodes of Rentaghost and even as early as the late seventies with Dr who. :roll: There always hope of hidden gems lying between masses of tapes. There got to be some with the amount of recordings done. :)

Strangely, Kaleidoscope, who control Bob Monkhouse's film archive since his death, deny that there is any steptoe content whatsoever. Let's get this straight, Steptoe was the BIGGEST comedy show of all time, how can he have not even recorded one accidentally by leaving a tape running? They are adamant on this. But as Bob says, if it's correct and they aren't there, those colour episodes are somewhere at least...

I watched that Documentary and Bob was a archivist and film fanatic and would have taped anything he saw as vital to the preservation of British film, TV show and was in indeed the person who saved episodes of Hancock as mention from the shred machine or to be wiped forever unlike the BBC. :roll: He also caught the only surviving clip of the young Lenny Henry's performance of TV and was very much like his fellow Brit Roddy Macdowell who had the same reaction by the US authorities when they discovered his private film archive and was tormented for a period by the press. He like Bob was taken to court for obtaining and saving vitally important material for his collection but their respective cases were won when it was realised that these two great men were responsible for saving cultural movie history not profiting like criminals. Bob had and has thousands of VHS/Beta recordings so I'm sure there are lost material hidden like nuggets amongst the miles of tapes but have the powers to be like Bob got the motivation to find and to source the items as he did over decades by trawling his tape? It takes a special dedicated person to do that and he was Bob Monkhouse. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Return to Share your news