Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

region one steptoe and son dvds

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby harold » Mon May 15, 2006 9:27 pm

do they make them
harold

Postby Graham_S nli » Wed May 17, 2006 11:12 am

Harold,

I checked Play.com and the only one available is the double movie set....

The link is...

[url]http://www.play.com/DVD/Region_1/PROD/3-/478942/Steptoe_and_Son_Steptoe_and_Son_Ride_Again/Product.html[url]

Graham[/url]
Graham_S nli

Postby Graham_S nli » Wed May 17, 2006 11:13 am

second attempt...

[url]http://www.play.com/DVD/Region_1/PROD/3-/478942/Steptoe_and_Son_Steptoe_and_Son_Ride_Again/Product.html

[/url]
Graham_S nli

Postby harold » Wed May 17, 2006 6:43 pm

i know the movie dvd is available maybe one day the bbc will release the series in region one
harold

REGION ONE DVDS

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:01 pm

WHEN IS THE BBC GOING TO RELEASE THE SERIES DVDS IN REGION ONE FORMAT THERE ARE FANS IN THE STATES

Postby bob » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:35 pm

As Graham’s post above suggests, the only DVD currently available in the US (legally !!!) is the movie DVD.

I have forwarded the question to Tessa Le Bars who is the agent for Galton and Simpson, she would know if there are any plans in this area.

Fingers crossed I get a reply.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:11 pm

:idea: Many new DVD recorder's/ players are "multi region" ie they can play discs from any country. My last DVD recorder a Philips had this facility but I wore it out :(

It's a similar story with some computer DVD recorders.

I've been trying for year's to get hold of a copy of "Scarecrow" starring Gene Hackman and Al Pacino, but it's only available in American format.

I've ordered "The Very Best of Steptoe & Son vol 1", just received an e mail to say that has been dispatched :D

I'm off to the theatre on Thursday to see "Murder In Oil Drum Lane" :D :D :D
Archie

Postby Graham_S nli » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:26 pm

I have two drives in my machine at home, one specifically for UK DVD discs the other for US region 1's.... It was quite useful when a recent special anniversary edition of Sgt Bilko was brought out only on Region 1....

Everytime you put a different region disc in your cd/dvd drive, It will change your settings up to a maximum of 5 times before permently fixing the region with the last one you use, I have a bit of software at work that I downloaded off the net that can "fool" my specific cd/dvd-rom drive by resetting the drive counter back to 5....

The only problem with software like this is the possible virus's and worm's that hackers enjoy trying to put on your machine...., so it is risky...

If possible try to have two drives in your machine and you will be able to enjoy both regions DVD's.... Also most people now use their computers as their entertainment system anyway so maximise it's capabilities!

BTW enjoy Thursday Archie... I look forward to reading your opinion of "MIODL"....
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby bob » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:33 pm

I have just received a reply from Tessa LeBars regarding the release of the Steptoe DVD’s in the USA.

Tessa informs me that the BBC have made DVD distributors in the US aware that they are willing to release the programmes. It seems there is some kind of list made available and companies can choose to distribute the DVD’s, I would imagine under licence. Unfortunately no body has decided to take action on the Steptoe series ………………..yet!

If our visitor from the US reads this message, I would suggest that he contacts the well known DVD companies in the US and tell them just how popular the DVD’s would be to American audiences.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:56 pm

Archie wrote::idea: Many new DVD recorder's/ players are "multi region" ie they can play discs from any country. My last DVD recorder a Philips had this facility but I wore it out :(

There was a samsung Multi Region DVD player advertised in the small ad section in my local paper for £30, I phoned but it was already sold :cry:
Archie

Changing DVD settings

Postby Archie » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:42 pm

I found this website which gives advice on changing the regional settings on some DVD machines by using only the remote control -

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/
Archie

Postby Archie » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:29 pm

Sorry to keep banging on about this topic :oops: , but as I said earlier on for a number of years I have been trying to get a copy of the Gene Hackman/ Al Pacino movie "Scarecrow"it is only available in Region 1-American format, hence my interest in this subject.

After looking at the Amazon UK site I found the DVD for less than £8 new, plus a multi region player for £18 :P
I have ordered these items - and IF all goes according to plan and I can play the movie ok, it means that American Steptoe fans can purchase a cheap multi region player and order UK region 2 DVD's :)

I'll send a report in a week or 2.
Archie

DVD's

Postby David » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:11 am

I read somewhere that a region1 set of Steptoe DVD's will be released in the future.
David

Postby Graham_S nli » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:35 pm

Archie,

I would be extremely interested in the multi-region player at such a "throw-away" price especially if you find it's worth the money...

I look forward to your review and details of the model in question....

thanks
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby Archie » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:05 pm

The Player arrived today it is a Compacks model, check the Amazon UK website for some very mixed reviews :shock:
It plays region 2 DVDs ok even R+W ones which haven't been finalised, not tried region 1 yet still waiting for the film from the USA :)

I discovered that I can set the DVD record drive in my old Windows 98 machine to play region 1, I can also set my laptop to do likewise but only for a maximum of 4 times :cry:
Archie

Next

Return to Share your news