Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

An interesting write up.....

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

An interesting write up.....

Postby ColdComfort » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:15 am

I dont know if this has been posted before, but here it is anyway. Sorry but there are a couple of annoying pop ups before you get to the good stuff....

Cheers all.

http://www.memorabletv.com/articles/art ... andson.htm
What can I say, these two lovely guys make me laugh.
ColdComfort

Postby bob » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:20 pm

What a great article.

There was a documentary on UK TV a couple of years ago called “When Steptoe met Son” It featured the Australian tour and the break up of the relationship between Wilfred and Harry.

This article gives this another dimension. I can’t help feeling terribly sad for the pair of them.

Ray and Alan have never spoken too much about this aspect of the relationship.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Graham_S nli » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:36 pm

I remember an interview with G & S where they actually derided a lot of the "When Steptoe Met Son" program....

They recalled an interviewer came to see them but all he seemed to want was "scandal" not the whole rounded scenario......

Hatchet job TV shows on dead celebs are routine these days even if there is a lot of truth in them....

The only recent ones I have enjoyed was the "unseen" Eric Morecombe program which was unusual in the fact it just seemed to confirm what a "good egg" he was overall...

and a far darker portrait of Spike Milligan which was credible due to the fact his long time agent and family freely contributed their stories about his misdemeaners.... (it has to be noted Spike was pretty condemning of himself while he was alive...).

I would like to think that similar to the characters they played there was a love/hate relationship between the actors and the reported news that Willy broke down on live television when news of Harry's death was told to him is the way I like to think of the actors relationship no matter how cold it was towards the end....
Graham
Graham_S nli

Return to Share your news