Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Vote for Steptoe Now!"

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Vote for Steptoe Now!"

Postby Rian » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:00 pm

Ok some of you may know about the uktv gold programme for which decade we where at our funniest,the last decade we are now looking at is the 60's and Steptoe & Son has made the the final 30 for you to vote for it to get it into your top 30.
The episode you have to vote for is the 1963 classic "The Bath"

Votes close on Sunday 10th August at midnight so please please vote now guys,thankyou :)

http://uktv.co.uk/gold/stepbystep/aid/599312
Rian

Postby thatsthatthen » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:56 pm

This weekend the BBC are commemorated 40 years of Dad's Army.

Did they do this for Steptoe in 2002?

Should we pester them for a 50th anniversary celebration in 2012?
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby bluejon » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:43 pm

i saw this,but do you think it was just an exucse for the bbc to just show more repeats?
bluejon

Postby thatsthatthen » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:07 pm

Well not really as they only showed a couple of episodes last night; the rest of the time was documentaries.

There's been a Dad's Army episode on Saturday nights on BBC2 for quite a while now. This was definitely something different.

It'd be good to see Steptoe being celebrated in the same way don't you think? It seems to get overlooked.
thatsthatthen

Postby Rian » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:35 pm

yes they never done anything like this for Steptoe and i just hope they do something for the 50th like they did with the carry ons

i want to see a steptoe night on tv soon

I cant tell you how angry this makes me and how much Steptoe is forgotton!
Rian

Postby bob » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:29 pm

The really interesting point is that when discussing Dad's Army they qualify its gratness by comparing it to Steptoe and Son.

This is very common in the first two episodes of "Comedy Connections" Steptoe was mentioned as a ground breaking comedy.
bob
Site Admin

Postby thatsthatthen » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:43 pm

Use it as the benchmark then fail to celebrate it?
That doesn't seem right to me.

On Jonathan Ross's show, where he interviewed Perry and Croft, he sought a round of applause when they announced that between them they had written each and every one of the 80 episodes.
Interestingly, they didn't write together, but alternated episodes - so each wrote 40 episodes.

A great achievement I agree (I love Dad's Army), but not the first and not unique.

The TV series ran from 1968 - 1977.

9 years. 9 years dammit!!

Hmm.
thatsthatthen

Postby Rian » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:53 pm

I just hate that Steptoe seems to have been forgotton over the years and not shown the credit it should.

Viewed by 28 million viewers
2 movies
8 series
57 episodes
royal variery peformance
numerous awards
Tour
Rian

Postby bluejon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:25 pm

[quote="thatsthatthen"]Well not really as they only showed a couple of episodes last night; the rest of the time was documentaries.

Yes,but even the documentaries were repeats! the only new new programme was the jonathan ross show!
bluejon

VOTE FOR STEPTOE NOW

Postby harold » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:19 pm

I AGREE WITH RIAN THEY SEEM TO IGNORE STEPTOE AND SON IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS I WILL FINALLY BE GETTING MY BOXSET THEN EVERY NIGHT WILL BE A STEPTOE NIGHT ALTHOUGH THE BOXSET HAS NO EXTRAS BUT PHIL IS MAKING PROPER EXTRAS I WISH THE BBC WOULD HAVE INCLUDED THEM OTHER BOXSETS OF TELLY PROGRAMS HAVE EXTRAS WHY DO OUR FAVORITE TOTTERS NOT AVE EM
harold

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:10 pm

Harold

It sounds silly but maybe because Steptoe and Son is so good the DVD's will sell anyway - think of it from their point of view, why pay the lciensing for extras (considering the BBC don't owna lot of them) when it won't make a difference to the sales?? Maybe other programs needed the extras in order to get people to buy the DVD's... Steptoe and Son is just TOO good...

That's the theory I prefer anyway... but the extras dvd is coming soon, then we will all be happy totters!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Rian » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:13 am

yes i would like to think that Phil :)
Rian

VOTE FOR STEPTOE NOW

Postby harold » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:24 pm

I AGREE I AM GOING TO GET THE BOXSET EVEN THOUGH IT DOES NOT HAVE EXTRAS BECAUSE I LOVE THE SHOW BUT THEY SHOULD OF PUT THE KEN DODD PROGRAM ON THE 4TH SEASON DVD AND THE CHRISTMAS SPECIALS ON THE 7TH AND 8 SEASON DVDS WELL ITS JUST A THOUGHT ALSO RIAN I SEE YOUR WEBSITE IS ON HOLIDAY DID IT GO TO BOGNOR ONLY JOKEING MATE ALL OF YOU ARE IMPORTANT TO ME KEEP POSTING EVERYBODY
harold

Postby Rian » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:11 pm

yes ive gone off to bognor with the site lol
no just taking a short break thinking of what to do next
Rian

Return to Share your news