Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Dad's Army B&W episodes now in colour

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Dad's Army B&W episodes now in colour

Postby bob » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:18 am

Other classic TV shows besides Steptoe we also victims of the BBC's poor archiving.

A number of Dad's Army episodes have only been available in colour. Starting soon on BBC2, are some episodes that have been re-coloured.

I wonder if this had something to do with something Graham raised in a previous post where he said that even on some of the B&W steptoes there was a track that heald information on the original colour broadcast.

Too technical for me, but interesting.
bob
Site Admin

Postby taylorslade » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:46 pm

As has been mentioned before....the Laurel and Hardy box set has every episode in B+W and colour. If they have the technology to re-master such old footage into colour then surely they can re-master footage from the 60's and early 70's?

But I guess the BBC would rather spend their money a wardrobe of awful suits for Jonathon Ross to go with his awful show.

Cobblers.
"Big Bristols , she had."
--Come dancing.
taylorslade

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:42 pm

By 're-coloured' they mean they have actually re-painted in all of the colour - this is very time consuming and expensive. Also, I always think you can tell!

For anyone who doesn't know about this - although the B&w episodes were taped froma colour broadcast, they were taped by a b&w machine therefore there was never any colour on those tapes - you can't put back what isn't there. Perhaps there's more money in it for the BBC to colour these Dad's Army, I can't really see why they would do it as we're not used to such kind generosity from our friends at the Beeb.

But it's a start... perhaps Steptoe will be next (and perhaps the Starship Enterprise will land in my front garden).
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby steve sheffield » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:47 am

There is a rare Dads army to be shown tonight on bbc.
Apparently it's not been seen for about 40 yrs!
This will be broadcast in colour. Showed a clip this morning on the news, it is colour but seemed dull by todays comparisons.
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby Jojo » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:41 pm

Loved it! 8)
up yer pipe!
Jojo

b and w

Postby rumneylu » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:40 am

series 6 and 5 were broadcast in colour but we only have them in b and white on the dvd so they may be able to tweek that
>>>luke<<<
rumneylu

Postby bluejon » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:47 pm

They based a whole evening around this episode,when will they do somethng similer(?) with S&S? :(
bluejon

Return to Share your news