Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Charity Shops

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby rose » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:02 am

HMV should be, they charge the earth for a series of something, box sets can cost up to £100!
You've been at my threpney bits!
rose

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:08 pm

How's this for a laugh...

Was visiting Bolton indoor market and met a robber - he had 2 Steptoe videos which I thought would be interesting, see if there were any cuts etc, and just good for the collection...

They were old and scruffy... one had a £10 price tag, the other £7.50 I assumed these were from when they were new, until he asked for £17.50....

He must have left his stripy top and swag bag at home cos i didnt see it coming...
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:37 pm

The local British Heart foundation shop is very expensive :( I was in this morning and looking at a book with old B/W pictures of Glasgow.
The price was £3.95 :!: a lot to pay for a second hand book.

There is a charity second hand book shop in town which used to be reasonable, until some "Expert" :roll: got involved in the shop. He values the books and magazine collections and tries to sell them on e bay.

Most people buy a book or magazine read it - then return it to the shop. Selling on e bay destroys the spirit of the shop, the shelves are a lot emptier since he started meddling :x
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

charity shops

Postby harold » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:40 pm

the charity shops here in america that i go to are pretty good on prices although i have never come across any steptoe and son items but i have come across many other uk comedies
harold

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:29 pm

I have something against charity shops - a good friend of mine who was an honest man just trying to make a living opened a furnite shop next door to the charity shop... the charity shop did everything they could to put him out of business and they ended up taking over his shop unit.

They were selling the same stuff but getting it free and not paying rates, he was just trying to make a living.

I also went off them when Oxfam announced how much their managing directors earn... one was earning £250'000 a year, so when you pay your pound about a penny goes to the cause if you're lucky... If they are gonna sell brand new goods as a lot of ours do and if theyre going to make a profit themselves then they should pay the same as any other business.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Previous

Return to Share your news