Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Probably a load of junk....

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Probably a load of junk....

Postby rose » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi peoples!
I am for my sins a fanfic writer :oops: a few months ago, when I was very bored and very ill, I asked the nice man at fanfiction.net to do a steptoe and son category (someone was a little annoyed it wasn't there *me*)
I wrote about 5 and finally got 1 single review which was to my amazement a positive one, as to be honest I am not the best at writing although I enjoy it.
So I thought you 'orrible lot. Could perhaps have a butchers at 'The only steptoe fanfic writer on the site' and perhaps drop on the odd review? Link is below and errr hope its not a complete waste of time!

http://www.fanfiction.net/tv/Steptoe_and_Son/
You've been at my threpney bits!
rose

Postby bob » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi Rose

Another budding writer. Looks like Frenchy has some competition.

Please fee free to post your links into the Frency's Scripts page as this is the home for those people who have the ability to string some coherant words together.

Good Luck

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby rose » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:25 pm

Cheers Bob!
But I thought that was for script work?
rose

Postby juliluli » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:18 pm

bob wrote: this is the home for those people who have the ability to string some coherant words together.

ooh Bob! are you saying we are all usually three parts Oliver? :lol:
Last edited by juliluli on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thats not dust, its bleedin topsoil.
juliluli

Postby rose » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:17 pm

Hahahaha...I understand as I am a terrible teen and guilty as such. Well maybe not too terrible. Not been arrested yet! Cheers though!
rose

Postby THE VICAR » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:40 am

well done rose i lkied youre scripts very much more please nick we need some decent comdey script writers as todays comdey is crap.
not the vicar again hes had two bob of me this year already.
THE VICAR

Postby rose » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks Vicar.
They don't seem popular on the site though :( Only one review on Love Sick. Reviews cause happiness for some reason (apart from the really negative ones)
rose

Postby bob » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:37 am

Hi Rose

I've just finished reading The Court. It's very good.

As I have said previously I have some reservations about anybody other that Ray and Alan writing Steptoe scripts, but having said that, if you've got it in you, then it's got to come out !!

I would also imagine that its very good practice as you don't have to worry too much about establishing the characters, and can foucus on the writing.

It was great to place Harold in court, that never happened in the original series. Rat and Alan did put Hancock in court a few times, and I think it would have been really funny to see Albert and Harols in the dock on TV.

Keep going, there is a real talent in the making !!!

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby rose » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:17 am

Well now there's a few steptoes, I'm trying to show the bbc how to do their episodes on other things like Robin Hood and even Eastenders (if they can do crazy back from the dead stories...so can I!)
Just click on my name for the mad list of things...if I fail my A-levels then that is why. I think there is 17-18 and not sure how many is actually allowed :lol: .
rose

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:25 pm

Rose

As a published playwrite I will give you one piece of advice: The Negative reviews are the most important - CONSTRUCTIVE negative reviews are unfortunately the ones you will learn from.

But don't let them get you down, if some people are nasty about your work (which I thought was very good), just remember these few facts:

Fred Astaire was told he couldn't dance;
Elvis Presley got an F in music and was kicked out of the music club at school;
'Only Fools and Horses' was almost canned after the second series due to low viewing figures;
And the writer of 'Roots' (from which he became incredibly rich) had the script rejected 14 times before it was made.

Dont let the buggers grind you down!! Write for yourself and enjoy it!!

Just a bit of friendly advice I hope you don't think I'm out of turn!!

Phil
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby rose » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:47 pm

No, I agree with you Phil. Neggies are important, but my usual first reaction is to say words like 'bleeder' before I consider their point. It's one of those things were your father says you get that from your mother and where your mother says you get it from your father.
Ran out of ideas at the moment for steptoe, but Robin Hood is getting a good seeing to at the moment. Well I say Robin Hood, I mean his enemy Sir Guy. They always do it these days, the good guy is usually nothing to shout about, so they make the one people are meant to dislike really good looking. I remember the episode were Richard Armitage was topless, also in spooks. :oops: And I'm supposed to be on that skinny bloke Jonas Armstrong's side against a sixpack? :wink:
Just click on the name 'SlytherinPirateAgent' to read other stuff.
Cheers peeps!
rose

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Yes, negative reviews can hurt. Contstructive criticism I don/t mind, but some people are just nasty without knowing what they're talking about - they're the ones you ignore.

But keep on going - write for yourself!!! If you like it, someone else will. I think the worst response is when someone says "That was good". It doesn';t really mean anything - excellent means something, terrible means something but good is just politeness.

I wish you the best of luck with your writing!

Phil
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Return to Share your news