Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Ray and Alan Day

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Ray and Alan Day

Postby bob » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:53 pm

Phil

Any chance of a review of the recent Ray and Alan day. I'm sure your slot was the best, but it would be nice to know how it all went

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi Bob

First of all I would like to thank you on behalf of everyone at the THA for the support your website provided in helping to make the event a success.

The day was organised by our good friends at the Tony Hancock Archives (www.tonyhancockarchives.org.uk) who made me feel very welcome within their group. The organiser is Jeff Hammonds who runs the archives and is a really nice guy – there site should be your first port of call for Tony Hancock Information.

The event was specifically about Galton and Simpson, and included some rare footage from all across the G&S spectrum - Hancock, Comedy Playhouse...

They day started with a brief introduction and a very interesting 90-minute Arena Documentary featuring out 2 favourite writers from 2005.

Then we had lunch.

We were then treated to a screening of the Jack Hylton show which starred Tony Hancock.

After being given a very nice introduction by the lovely Elaine Schollar, I started my piece which was a mixture of me giving a speech, then cutting in with the clips when appropriate.
These included - Wilf and Harry receiving the Variety Club award, Edited highlights of A Night of 100 Stars, The Ken Dodd Show, A clip from Dutch TV of Ray and Alan talking about the Dutch version, Highlights of Xmas Night with the stars, The Ajax Advert from 1977, Scotch on The Rocks, and The Kenco Ad. I ended with the complete video performance of The Royal Variety Show.

The audience received these clips very well and I hope they found something of interest in what I had to say.

Next, we had the highlight of the day – our special guest Damaris Hayman who worked both with Tony Hancock and in Steptoe and Son (Sunday for Seven Days and My Old Man’s A Tory’). Her interview was fascinating. She has had a long and varied career (some of you may remember her selling Victor Meldrew a pair of shoes still on the feet of her dead husband in ‘One Foot In The Grave’) and had some amazing stories to tell. She recalled what a pleasure it was to work on Steptoe and had only good words to say about the actors, especially Wilfrid who had been exceptionally kind to her (yet another person who worked with them putting aside those terrible rumours!).

After the one hour interview she even stayed to watch an episode of Ray and Alan’s Citizen James in which she made an appearance. I would like to say how lovely Damaris is when you meet her, a true lady and a pleasure to be in the company of. She could not have been more accommodating to the fans!

We then had the Galton and Simson quiz with a Steptoe question that caused some grumbles... (What was the first episode of ‘Steptoe and Son’ called?) which just added to the fun.

After the screening of yet another rareity, the event finished.

The day had a very laid back feel which made the fans feel at ease – everybody felt like they were part of a club, and everybody had a great time. I would recommend any future THA events.
Overall it was a great day for everyone involved whether taking part or visiting. It was an honour to be asked to give the presentation and I am very greatful to everyone at the THA. You will never meet a nicer group of people!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:09 pm

Phil

Sounds like a really good event. Thanks for taking the time to give us an overview.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:56 pm

Bob

You're welcome. While there I learned (and managed to contribute to) a Ray and Alan Radio Program currently in production and which is planned to be broadcast on Christmas Night...

Father Christmas has still not brought you that bike, you've endured the inlaws as much as you can, you've conceeded there is no Fools and Horses this year and you're a wee bit Brahms and Liszt (and wearing that unwanted jumper)... What better way to wind down on Christmas night than a 90 minute BBC Ray and Alan Tribute...

I am in contact with the producer and I can tell you it's going to be the best present you'll have all christma!!

Looking forward to it!!

Phil
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Fantastic news Phil

Please kep us updated

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Return to Share your news