Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

End of Year Awards

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

End of Year Awards

Postby bob » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:57 pm

It's over 5 days since anybody has posted anything new on the board and I am bored.

I thought i would therefore start this thread to give us all a giggle as the year comes to an end. I thought we would have our own award type ceremony, which often take place at the end of the year.

So I thought we could have three categories.

1. Actor (Male or Female) to play Albert Steptoe in a 2009 remake of Steptoe and Son

2. Actor (Male or Female) to play Harold Steptoe in a 2009 remake of Steptoe and Son

3. The person of 2009 who most deserves to end up working in a Rag and Bone Yard ( Must give reason)

What do you think ? Let’s have your nominations.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi Bob

What a fun question!! I does seem that everything happens on here at once, then nothing for ages. I don't want to say Steptoe fans are likes buses but... ha ha

My awards go to.:

1. Best Actor / Actress to Play Albert Steptoe: David Neilsen (aka 'Roy Cropper' from Coronation Street)

2. Best Actor / Actress to Play Harold Steptoe: Jimmy Carr (I know he's a comedian but has done a bit of acting.. and its a bit of fun).

3. The person who most deserves to live in a rag and bone yard... Simon Cowell - he's constantly surrounded by Junk so he's had the experience... and no one would complain if Hercules gave him a kick in the cobblers!!

Steptoe and Son 2009 - Bring it on!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks Phil . What a good start.

I don't watch any corrie, so I'll have to make a point of watching to see if I can understand your nomination.

I like the idea of Jimmy Carr who I have seen live. That then made me think of Alan Cart, but I can't decide whether to cast him as Albert or Harold. I can certainly see him as Harold, being disgusted at his Dirty Old Man, but for some reason I can also imagine him as Albert. I'm ssure he will be delighted.

I have to think about the junk yard one. Simon Cowel is a good one, and perhaps in the same vein I would nominate Bruch Forsyth. He should have retired graceful years ago !!!
Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:45 pm

Bob -

I don't watch corrie myself except for when I go to stay with my parents - my mum watches it religiously and insists on telling me all about it - I actually know the actor from other work he did.

Alan Carr I'm not a fan of so I don't really see it, but Jimmy Carr is a genius. You are lucky to have seen him live every time I try and get tickets I can't.

I forgot about Brucie. Can't we restrict them both to a junk yard for the rest of eternity... ooh BBC listen up, now there's a reality show... Simon Cowell and Bruce Forstyth trapped together in a junk yard.. add a Sniper and that's what I call entertainment!
PhilGlass

Postby steve sheffield » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:26 am

I would like Arnold Shwarzenegger to play Albert, and Sylvester Stallone to play Harold.
I would like any politician to have to work in the rag and bone yard as it would be the only days work they will have done.
Getting back to Arnold and Sylvester I think it would be hysterical to see them perform as our hero's. Can you imagine Arny saying "sod you then, you callous little bleeder" (with the terminator voice) and sly replying "you dirty old man" ?????
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby bob » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:17 pm

Steve I was chuckling before I got to the end of your post.

It would take those two forever just to say the lines. It would have to become an hour long special.

If I had to pick an episode for them to play in it would have to be "Live now PAYE Later" watching them "drag - up" would be the icing on the cake.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Leslie Grantham (Dirty Den) would make a good Harold

Johnnie Beattie - Scottish actor/commedian as Albert, he plays a character in a Scots soap 'River City' where he constantly complains.

Mandy Mandelson should get his hands dirty - for a change in the yard :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rivercity//charact ... lton.shtml
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

end of the year awards

Postby harold » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:36 pm

i do not think anyone could play albert and harold like wilf and harry did but i heard the actors in murder in oil drum lane did a good job i wish they would release the play on dvd
harold

Postby bob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi Harold nice to hear from you.

Keep watching the site I hope to bring you something special (albeit short ) soon.

Thinking about this subject in more detail I have never been a great fan of US comedy but Larry David of "Curb Your Enthusiasim" fame would make a great Albert.

What do you think ?
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:32 pm

Another good Albert would be Harry Enfield in his 'Old Git' character :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby bob » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:30 pm

Oohhh good one Archie.

In fact Enfield and Paul Whitehouse would make a good double act. They could change roles each week.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:59 pm

David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst...

They could set it in Peckham and instead of a horse give them a three wheeled van...

Oh, hang on a minute....
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:56 pm

Now Now Phil ......

We don't want to start that one again ........ do we !!

Only joking.

Maybe we could have a Strickly Come Steptoe with Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioni in the roles.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:01 pm

Sorry Bob....

I like the Strictly idea..

Or how about... I'm A Rag and Bone Man Get Me Out Of Here??

Lots of rag and bone men have to live in the Steptoe yard with Hercules... first one to sell their story to the Daily Mirror wins...
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:41 pm

Great idea you could fill the year with celebrities nobody knows
bob
Site Admin

Return to Share your news