Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

New Website now active...

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:22 pm

Go on to the Wilfrid Brambell page and you see a red title "All Above Board" - just click on that.

Or click here!! http://www.harryandwilf.co.uk/All_Above_Board.html

All copies were hardback, but confusingly there were two slightly different versions, which is wierd as it wasn't reprinted - one is the standard type - board backed with a separate dust cover wrapped around it. Another is slightly different with the boards printed, (or at least printed paper stuck to the boards obviously). I can only assume two different printing sessions were done of the same book, though I have only ever seen one of these board printed books, which belongs to someone I know and have seen it with my own eyes, so I nkow it exists. Yet everything else about it is identical. Very strange.

Yes it's a pricy book, but you can find a bargain if you're patient. Funnily enough, I had been going in to the same bookshop for years and enevr saw one, until I got chatting to the shoowner and he happened to have it at home, he told me he'd bring it in for me and asked a tenner for it. Had I asked all those years before I'd have had it sooner!

I'm going to redisgn it soom, make things easier to find (and drop those 6 page filmographies!!! They are tedious and hard to find what you want!).

Enjoy it mate! It's not the full thing obviously, but a few different sections from across the book, giving you a good feel of it!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:58 am

Cheers Phil, dunno why i didn't see the link. there it is at the top staring at me, must be shortsighted after all. i seem to recall seeing a photo somewhere of Wilfrid with a copy, it appeared to be paperback so assumed it was. and when i saw the prices quoted i didn't look any further. will keep an eye open (spectacles on this time) all the same, looks like a good read as you'd expect.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi Phil

Nice Review. I must admit I have not read my copy for some while, but I do recall being seriously underwhelmed by it.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:13 am

Bob, if you still feel that way and ever decide to sell it please keep me in mind :wink:
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:02 am

Bob

Were you talking about my latest review - Acting in The Sixties, or "All Above Board" which we digressed on to? I'd be interested to know what you think of Acting In The Sixties (follow the home page link).

Harry makes some strange claims, such as it was his idea to make Harold younger as before rehearsals both rag and bone men were in their eighties and it was HARRY who suggested making him younger and making them father and son - not sure what Galton and Simpson would make of that claim - and as it is transcribed from a television interview, we know he actually said it.

I agree if you mean "All Above Board". But at least Wilfrd wrote it himself, unlike some who use ghost writers (Katie Price can't even write her name, let alone a book!) and pass it off as their own.

Still, a lovely little keepsake and of course another insight in to the whole Steptoe saga, so for that purpose, it's worth finding in my opinion.

I recently met a fan who paid 50 pence for a mint condition one from a carboot sale. Remember those?? Jammy little bleeder...
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:59 am

Hi Phil

Yes I was talking about All Above Board.

While I can understand Willy wanting to demonstrate that he had done a lot more than Steptoe, (it wasn’t just Harry who was trapped by the role), I feel he somewhat over compensates by barely mention Steptoe at all. That didn’t prevent him using a picture of himself as Albert on the cover as undoubtedly this would have increased sales.

With respect to Harry’s claims, it was the first time I have heard them. My own assessment is that Ray and Alan’s version is correct. However such is the dynamics of groups that every body can think the idea was theirs. I once remember deliberately leading a guy who worked for me, to reach a solution I had already come up with a day or too earlier. I then asked him to present it to the rest of the business. It was good for his self esteem. For years afterward he would brag about his brilliant “original” idea and I would listen with a wry smile. Sometimes nobody has the clear idea, but it evolves as people work together. In this sense both parties can be sincere and honest in thinking it was their idea.

I will read your section on the 60’s and get back to you.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm not so sure Wilfrid was bothered about being trapped by the role, he seemed happy to play the part any time he was asked...

Here is a scene form the children's film "High Rise Donkey", 1980. He plays a rag and bone man, and even down to the costume the character is Albert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f9JtR_RpAM

Harry seemd to be troubled by it, annoyed and frustrated, but although I agree Wilfrid was trapped by it, from what I know, I don't think he cared as long as he got paid he was happy to do it.

Wilfrid still managed to play many non-Steptoe-like roles at the same time. Interestingly, in the Robert Ross book, G&S talk about when they wrote the final 3 episodes of Harry's series "Mr. Aitch" that they realised he could only play one character - that of Harold. I personally think that's a bit harsh, but then Harry's views on it differ from interview to interview - in some he says he hopes he can break away from Harold and that none of Harold is him, in others he says Harold is 90% him and that he enjoys playing him no matter what.

I think Harry felt bothered by it, I think Wilfrid wasn't bothered in the slightest. Of course, that's just my opinion.
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Thu May 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Welcome to the forum DexSmart.

Phil's site is excellent and very informative.
bob
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Share your news