Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

WANTED : A complete list of all Steptoe VHS releases.

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

WANTED : A complete list of all Steptoe VHS releases.

Postby taylorslade » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:22 am

Hi guys,

I haven't posted on here for over a year now as I haven't had access to the internet, shocking in this day and age to some people I've found out ha.

Anyway guys hope everyone here is doing well, this is really the only forum on the internet where everyone is friendly, other forums I visit (regarding other subjects such as sport etc) the behaviour is disgraceful as I'm sure most of you will of experienced, unfortunatlley.

Onto the topic of the post, hope this is the right place, but I need you guys to help me out with compiling a complete list of all the Steptoe VHS releases of the TV episodes. Of course I have the box set DVD collection but I LOVE watching the VHS releases for some reason aside from they are unedited in comparison to the DVD's, and I love collecting them and seeing them on my Steptoe shelves where I house my modest collection.

I have searched for quite a while online but I cannot find a comprehensive list of all the VHS realeases, so I would be very appreciative of any help from real Steptoe fans.

On a side note, my personal favourite of the VHS releases I have so far is a collection of 13 episodes (taken from series 7 and 8 ), not only unusual because it is a four-tape set, but also because it is an NTSC American release.

Also, I don't know if any of you guys noticed it while totting on the net, but there is a guy on the American Amazon site selling VHS Steptoe releases such as 'The Piano' - which is fine....however the price is $9,999, at first I thought it to be an obvious mistake but when I checked the guy's other Steptoe auctions he had several other VHS tapes for the same price each. Probably still a mistake, but a glaring one ha.

Anyway guys it's great to be back here and thanks in advance for any help at all.

COBBLERS!!!!
"Big Bristols , she had."
--Come dancing.
taylorslade

Postby bob » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Welcome Back taylorslade

Should be able to help here as I'm sure I had all the VHS tapes. I should hang on to them and one day record them to DVD without the cuts.

I do know that one of the VHS releases was worth a few bob. My ex has it now as a throphy of our divorce. I'll look it up and post later.

From memory the BBC initially released 4 VHS tapes containing colour episodes Series 7 & 8. There were three episodes on each tape. they each had a variation on the same picture of Harold, Albert and Hercules on the cover and had different coloured spines Yellow, Green, Blue and Red.

I'll post more later. Thanks for your nice comments about the forum.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi Taylor...

Below is a pretty comprehensive list (though it doesnt deal with any pre-cert ones).

The 'valuable' one will be the "Come Dancving" video - as to which version is valuable is actually a debatable point... It advertised the 1974 special, yet originally contained the uncut 1973 special instead. They were subsequently withdrawn and replaced with the correct 1974 special. However, the INCORRECT version seems the easiest to find - I know very few collectors who want one who can't find one, they are on ebay regularly. But the correct version thata ctually plays the right episode is much harder to find, making it more collectable. An orange sticker was placed on the back cover to identify them, but some of these no doubt have been removed in time, so only by playing it can you really tell.

Strangely, it advertises them as "the last TWO colour episodes"... "Come Dancing" was not the second last!!

Both of these versions feature the UNCUT christmas specials, however the reference to "Holiday camps" is missing from both, believably only ever broadcast.

The 'GREEN BOX' vhs featuring the 1973 special has exactly the same version as the "Come Dancing" error video...

This is IN NO WAY COMPLETE.. (I dont think), but It's something to start from...

WH SMITH BOX SET - 4 video set with an exclusive 'box'. It featured the 4 videos below which were subsequently re-released individually.

DIVIDED WE STAND BBCV 4041

MEN OF LETTERS BBCV 4042

OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MOURNING BBCV 4060

A STAR IS BORN BBCV 4059

STEPTOE AND SON (Movie) Warner Bros WTB 38149

STEPTOE AND SON RIDE AGAIN Warner Bros PES 38179

THE SEVEN STEPTORAI BBCV 4601

THE PIANO BBCV 4602

65 TODAY BBCV 4797

THE STEPMOTHER BBCV 4798

A WINTER'S TALE BBCV 4830

TILL DEATH US DO PART / STEPTOE AND SON / STEPTOE AND SON RIDE AGAIN... Braveworld STV 4012 3 Video box set.

TEA FOR TWO BBCV 4831

STEPTOE AND SON (Movie) Warner Bros SO 38149

STEPTOE AND SON RIDE AGAIN Warner Bros SO 38179

THE VERY BEST OF... BBCV 5102

IS THAT YOUR HORSE OUTSIDE? BBCV 5345

THE SIEGE OF STEPTOE STREET BBCV 5373

THE VERY BEST OF... VOLUME 2 BBCV 5395

THE OFFER BBCV 5582

WALLAH WALLAH CATSMEAT BBCV 5638

DOUBLE FEATURE - STEPTOE AND SON / STEPTOE AND SON RIDE AGAIN Warner Bros SO 38363

THE GOLDEN YEARS OF COMEDY 1966 (Features the episode "Pilgrims Progress") BBCV 5783

THE DIPLOMA BBCV 5850

STEPTOE AND SON (Movie) Warner Bros SO 38149

STEPTOE AND SON RIDE AGAIN Warner Bros SO 38179

COME DANCING BBCV 6167
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby taylorslade » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:08 am

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

I must say that even though owning the DVD collection is quite a must for a Steptoe fan due to a number of reasons (Picture quality preservation, not all episodes released on VHS etc), I myself prefer to watch the VHS releases as the somewhat grainy picture quality adds to the "grimey" atmosphere of the show.

Most of my VHS tapes have been bought in various charity shops up here and whenever I go to various places in the UK I always check the charity shops for any Steptoe goods. Other than that, Amazon.co.uk is a goldmine as I'm sure you guys know. Most of the tapes I have bought from there were priced at 1p, with a postage charge of never no more than £3. All in all, I'm always finding bargains there, and they are all in great condition. In fact, some of the cassette boxes still have the original price stickers on from whatever retailer stocked them....the "Star is born" VHS has a Woolworths price sticker on of £10.80.

Also, I didn't really want to make a new topic about this incase it amounted to nothing, but I found this old thread from another forum, it may be nothing and prove fruitless but it seems like a lead worth investigating I think you guys will agree. Maybe someone from here can shed more light on it, maybe one of you guys posted in the thread....anyway without further delay I'll post the link, it's regarding some of the episodes from series 6 which of course only survive in black and white, but some guy in the thread seems to (possibly) imply he has in his collection the colour versions. The thread is from 2005 and Im sorry if I have raised a false alarm and got anybodys hopes up but it's always worth a shot regarding finding these episodes.

http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/in ... 774&page=2

Shaun.
--Come dancing.
taylorslade

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Very interesting Shaun.

The BBC definitely have the original colour tape to "A Winter's Tale", this was handed insome time back. Or at least a b&w print with the original colour info, so the original colour can be restored at the touch of a button (so the same thing really).

When comedian Bob Monkhouse died they archived his collection of off-air tv recordings, amounting over 100'000 hours. Alas, no Steptoe and Son, though he did have many missing episodes of all kinds of programs. Thanks Bob.

Many people say they have things, but very few prove it. Collecting is a itght-nit community and usually these people are known, so it is easy to tell sometimes who is spinning us a yarn and who isn't.

As for DVD vs.VHS... Is DVD really better quality? DVD is only 68mb per minute, native VHS is far far greater. Remember SVHS? That far surpassed DVD quality. But DVD does have its advantages I guess. I totally agree that sometimes those imperfections are what makes viewing pleasurable - I prefer vinyl to CD any day, and it's those little pops and clicks that give the sound the character!

Keep up the interesting posts! And one day we will find the colour eps, trust me, it's my life mission!!!!!
PhilGlass

Postby taylorslade » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:58 am

I agree Phil, they HAVE to be somewhere, surely. I am one of the more optimistic minded people when it comes to this subject and I believe that sooner or later, they will turn up in their former techinicolour glory.

The main reason that I am so decided on the fact that they survived somewhere is down to something which I have mentioned in another thread on this board....That at somepoint around 1991-1995, I DEFINATLEY saw "Pot Black" in colour on the television. I distinctly remember talking to my dad who was watching with me, talking about the Snooker table and the Snooker balls. I also remember my dad's words which were something like ; "this must be one of the later episodes because it's in colour, and I've always preferred the later episodes."

I am 25 now and was 6-9 years old around the time we saw this episode, and I'm 100% certain that I did actually see it and I'm not getting mixed up either.

Fingers crossed, guys, I'm sure that something will turn up within the next 2 years.

Shaun.
--Come dancing.
taylorslade

Postby Karl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:38 am

It would be fantastic to see the "missing" colour episodes turn up,as said they must be out there somewhere! Reading that you said you are sure that you saw "Pot black" in colour Shaun is very interesting,I'm sure you did but, it reminds me of a similiar situation i've had with a "Carry on" film.When i was a kid i'm 100% sure i first saw "Cabby" in colour NOT black & white! my mrs and my father are also certain they saw it in colour too,I made enquiries,even asked on a "Carry on" Forum and i was basically told we'd imagined it and i didn't see it,the similarity here is i know i have and its out there somewhere! rumours abound that it was made in colour so, where is it? the same applies to our beloved Steptoe episodes,i for one would love to see "Pot black" in colour
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:27 pm

For a long time I was convinced I'd seen "Any Old iron2 in colour, the scene where Harold enters with his handbag, but now I think maybe I was confused with the scene from "Back In Fashion" wher ehe enters looking all silly...

But far too many people have told me they have seen "Pot Black" in colour, far too many for it to be a myth. My view is that is was shown some time in the mid 90's. I don't specifically remember it myself though.

I do not believe something "no longer exists". It's there somewhere, and more often than not with someone who doesn't actually know what they have got.

As long as they dont hand colour the b&w versions!!!
PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:49 am

Just an update -

With nothing better to do in the middle of the nigth I've been going throguh some of the old society mags. Interestingly when they discuss the "lost" eps, "Pot Black" is actually discussed along with the rtegular episodes that existed at the time.

We're talking around the time the others are being discovered, no one remembers them, yet everyone has seen pot black - this MUST suggest a repeat which means the tape WASNT junked!!! It can't have been, it doesn't make sense.

Therefore it must be out there...
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:24 am

This is a really interesting topic.

I will make an ad about the ckolour version of "Pot Black" for the home page and the review page just in case we get a visitor who has a copy.
bob
Site Admin

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:17 am

Pot Black in colour? I'd love to see that of course, but I'd bet my house that it wasn't shown in the 1990s.

I've been a Steptoe fan since I first glimpsed them on TV, some 40 years ago, and saw all the colour series’ when they were first broadcast.

During the 1990's, I was at the very height of my love for Steptoe and Son, and recorded basically everything relating to them (that went out on terrestrial TV). If Pot Black really did go out in colour during the 1990's, then I would have it in my collection, but I don’t, of course.

Still think it may survive somewhere, though, it's just a matter of finding it...
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby taylorslade » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:56 am

The Pixel Surgeon wrote:Pot Black in colour? I'd love to see that of course, but I'd bet my house that it wasn't shown in the 1990s.

I've been a Steptoe fan since I first glimpsed them on TV, some 40 years ago, and saw all the colour series’ when they were first broadcast.

During the 1990's, I was at the very height of my love for Steptoe and Son, and recorded basically everything relating to them (that went out on terrestrial TV). If Pot Black really did go out in colour during the 1990's, then I would have it in my collection, but I don’t, of course.

Still think it may survive somewhere, though, it's just a matter of finding it...

Hi mate, I would bet my life on it that it was shown during that period, as I 100% watched it with my own eyes. I swear on my mother's life that I am being truthful and it is something that I feel very strongly about as I did see it, I promise you. It also had to be in that time period also as I have sat for hours upon hours going over it in my head.

Like all of us on this board, you clearly have a deep love for Steptoe. So whilst I do feel that it would be highly unlikely that such a rare and significant find such as the episode 'Pot Black' in colour would slip through a dedicated Steptoe fans' net, I still stick with the story that I have been repeating on this board over the past few years.

Anyway, hopefully the lost colour episodes turn up somewhere, eventually.
--Come dancing.
taylorslade

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:39 pm

taylorslade wrote:
The Pixel Surgeon wrote:Pot Black in colour? I'd love to see that of course, but I'd bet my house that it wasn't shown in the 1990s.

Hi mate, I would bet my life on it that it was shown during that period, as I 100% watched it with my own eyes. I swear on my mother's life that I am being truthful and it is something that I feel very strongly about as I did see it, I promise you. It also had to be in that time period also as I have sat for hours upon hours going over it in my head.

Like all of us on this board, you clearly have a deep love for Steptoe. So whilst I do feel that it would be highly unlikely that such a rare and significant find such as the episode 'Pot Black' in colour would slip through a dedicated Steptoe fans' net, I still stick with the story that I have been repeating on this board over the past few years.

Anyway, hopefully the lost colour episodes turn up somewhere, eventually.

Indeed, it was shown in the 1990's on BBC2, as I recorded that very broadcast (on to S-VHS). But as I say, it went out in plain old Black and White (rather unfortunately).

http://www.625.org.uk/staraker/sb20lost.htm
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby Archie » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:23 pm

I taped every episode that was shown in the 80's / 90's some day I shall blow the dust off them and try and find anything interesting.

I also have a documentary somewhere ! about a bloke who was a fan and had every episode on video, if I remember he drove to some of the locations ? :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby bob » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:23 pm

#The colour episodes MUST exist somewhere.

Perhaps I need to give them a higher profile on the site. Somebody who has got them most probably doesn't know that they are wanted.
bob
Site Admin

Next

Return to Share your news