Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

When Harry Met Sheila - a new book featuring stories of H.

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

When Harry Met Sheila - a new book featuring stories of H.

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Sheila Staefel has released her autobiography, "When Harry Met Sheila", based apparently on her entire life, not just her relationship with Harry H. Corbett (you might have heard of him, I think he was in a sitcom...).

For those who may not know, Sheila was Harry's first wife and an actress in her own right. This is the official blurb from the book..

Synopsis: When Harry Met Sheila is the story of highly acclaimed comedy actress, Sheila Steafel, her relationship with Steptoe and Son actor Harry H. Corbett and how a woman, who should have had the world at her feet, ultimately destroyed her marriage and promising career. Sheila’s autobiography is a brave and honest account by an actress who was once crowned ‘The Queen of Comedy’, in which she explores how the traumas of her childhood; growing up in a dysfunctional family in apartheid-torn South Africa in the 1930s and ‘40s have impacted her personal life and career

Author: Director: Special Feature: Release date: 29/11/2010
Format: Book
Year of recording: Number of discs: Number of pages: 300
Classification: Running time: ISBN: 9781906358839
Hardback/Paperback: Hardback

I'll be ordering mine soon (borassic lint at the moment!). Remember if you order it through this site then this site gets a credit which helps in its upkeep.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:40 pm

I suspect it may contain a certain amount of bitterness :(
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

when harry met sheila

Postby harold » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:13 pm

i would like to read the book i have heard of harry h corbett i watch him every day
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Postby bob » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:46 am

It is interesting to note that the book tells the story of how Sheila herself ruined her marriage to Harry.

The curse film tried to create the impression that it was Harry’s second wife Maureen who came between Sheila and Harry, and therefore was the cause of the separation from Sheila. Hence the Corbett family distress and further evidence to support their claim …… I would suggest.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:35 pm

bob wrote:It is interesting to note that the book tells the story of how Sheila herself ruined her marriage to Harry.

The curse film tried to create the impression that it was Harry’s second wife Maureen who came between Sheila and Harry, and therefore was the cause of the separation from Sheila. Hence the Corbett family distress and further evidence to support their claim …… I would suggest.

Maybe we should send the writers of "Curse.." a copy.. ha ha

I have heard that Sheila and Harry actually remained civil to each other after their divorce, and I believe they appeared on a chat show together (both on the same episode, but not "together").

The biog of Harry's thats curreently being written with Suzannah's help wil also be itneresting. Maureen Corbett was asked once to write a book on Harry, but she said she wouldn't want to write about the years she wasn't with him., because it would be second hand information.

I guess a lot of H's interviews couldbe pieced together to come close to an autobiography - I recently read the book which was transcribed from the TV series "Acting In The Sixties", and Harry talks in depth about his career and his acting method. I'll put some of it up on my site in the next few days if anyone is interested.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Sheila Steafel at Waterstones

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:17 am

"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby bob » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Hi Pixel

Thanks for the posting, very interesting. I haven't read the book yet but i think I will put it on my Christmas list.
bob
Site Admin

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:20 pm

bob wrote:Hi Pixel

Thanks for the posting, very interesting. I haven't read the book yet but i think I will put it on my Christmas list.

Hi Bob,
Indeed, neither have I, so shall probably add it to my Xmas list too - although I may well have to buy it for myself... :-(
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Return to Share your news