Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

The LP

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

The LP

Postby Archie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:21 pm

I picked up the LP on E bay about a week ago for less than a fiver :o

(I'm late in posting because I was ill for most of last week :( )

Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby bob » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:37 pm

You must now have a collection to rival the Steptoe's
bob
Site Admin

the lp

Postby harold » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:52 pm

that is a good find hope you are feeling better archie
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Postby Archie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:11 pm

My Holy Grail is one of the movie posters, but they usually go for around £50 on 'E' a bit out of my price range :(

Surely one of the poster companies could produce replicas ??.
Archie

Postby bob » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Lots of the movie posters also have big fold creases in them. All you can see is a big group of squares.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:03 pm

bob wrote:You must now have a collection to rival the Steptoe's

Not till he has a skeleton in the lounge!
Shame about the sticky tape, but less than 5 quid for that LP is quite a bargain.

Looks remarkably well preserved......wish I did.
Proof positive that being pickled does not necessarily lend itself to preservation :roll:

Poster reproductions can be found but all too often they're not full size, and because they're photographic they sometimes exhibit those square creases, rather like my "Wicker Man" one sheet.
Better than nothing, but strangely my "Night of the Living Dead" repro of the original poster shows no creases, and it's full size. I love zombie movies, but you'd think proper cinema, namely Steptoe, would get the same treatment. hey ho.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:05 pm

No it's not sticky tape the cover has faded over the years. I'm planning to dig out the record player and actually play it :o

It's from 1962 which makes it the same age as me, it has aged a lot better though :roll:
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:06 pm

A little self deprecation is good policy and always good for a laugh, but surely us geezers don't look all that bad! pffft lol.
Think you're old, you and your "record player"? I still use wax cylinders :oops:.
I asked about what appeared to be sticky tape before I checked my own rare UK LP pressings.
It's a sleeve sealer innit, put on by manufacturers.
Some older bits of my collection also have a very thin sleeve varnish that eventually cracks off, making plastic covers a wise investment.
Vinyl remains completely unique though, a ritual and audio experience that never grows old.
even if we do. heh.
Coincidentally, a Ride Again poster reproduction (not full size) can be found at Amazon UK.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:41 pm

As a vinyl enthusiast I can tell you UK records and sleeves were quite different to US ones.

American ones were thick and sturdy, but unlaminated, so you often got "ringwear" on the front, where you see the shape of the record.

UK pressings in the early eras has less heavy duty covers, but were laminated, and where as the US sleeves were often one piece with the front "pasted on" we had what we call 'flipback' in the record collecting world, where the front piece folded over and was stuck down.

Our singles didnt have picture sleeves until the 1970s, but our EP's and LP's did.

These should be heard. The records are a great Steptoe instalment in their own right - taken from the TV series and not the radio series, so Harry and Wilfrid would record certain little sentences or words to be 'dubbed' over on certain ones, to cover visual gags.. like on the Royal Variety LP, Harold cries out "It's the crown!" where as that did not appear on screen. So they are worthwhile recordings to collect.

Well done!! I have a handful of them myself and it just shows how popular the series was, people didn't care about the format - they just wanted more Steptoe!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:57 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Coincidentally, a Ride Again poster reproduction (not full size) can be found at Amazon UK.

Cheers I had a look at the poster, I'll wait until I'm purchasing items over £15 then get free postage :roll:
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:54 am

No worries Archie, I'm expecting one in a few weeks, will let you know if it's worth a go. At less than a fiver, chances are it will be.

They do seem to be exceptionally rare Phil, but some US printed LP sleeves were laminated (or 'varnished' as I first wrote). The few examples I've got are early Joan Baez releases from Vanguard, may have more. I'm only guessing, but I'll wager some early yank jazz labels laminated sleeves as well. And I don't recall ever seeing ringwear regardless of age or how haphazardly they were stored. So unless I've misinterpreted what you've written, the assumption is what got shipped to the UK was of a different quality. Perhaps damp weather was influential, beats me. But I've always preferred the thinner, laminated European sleeves...less waste and more elegant.
All that aside, aint vinyl grand?
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:38 pm

Well I finally heard the record :o it was a rare sunny day so I took my late old man's portable Georgian record player into the garden.

I poured a glass of pear cider and put the record on, side A was an extended version of 'The Bird'.
In the TV version it ends with Albert secretly turning the clock back to the correct time. The LP version has Harold finding Albert turning the clock back and rushing off trying to find the bird :)

Side B only has clips-about a third of 'The Offer' though the cover strangely calls it 'The Gentle Art Of Totting' Choppers For Sale' and 'The Holiday'.

The sound quality was great with no scratches in fact it was better than some of the episodes on digital radio :o
Archie

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:37 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:No worries Archie, I'm expecting one in a few weeks, will let you know if it's worth a go. At less than a fiver, chances are it will be.

They do seem to be exceptionally rare Phil, but some US printed LP sleeves were laminated (or 'varnished' as I first wrote). The few examples I've got are early Joan Baez releases from Vanguard, may have more. I'm only guessing, but I'll wager some early yank jazz labels laminated sleeves as well. And I don't recall ever seeing ringwear regardless of age or how haphazardly they were stored. So unless I've misinterpreted what you've written, the assumption is what got shipped to the UK was of a different quality. Perhaps damp weather was influential, beats me. But I've always preferred the thinner, laminated European sleeves...less waste and more elegant.
All that aside, aint vinyl grand?

ARCHIE

Yes, extra recording was done for the LP's - Steptyoe dialogue ou wont find elsewhere - this came BEFORE the radio series, so to cover the visual aspect they re-recorded certain parts, making these special Steptoe 'instalments' in their own right!! The last one to appear on record was 'TB or not TB' as 'The Joys of Smoking'. These records are brilliant!!

My experience is with RC A Victor records from the 60s to 70s, not ones shipped to the UK, we worked out how to press our own, but americans ones I have bought. Maybe it stands out more to me because of the comparison, but every US pressing I have is scuffed and has ringwear. Maybe we are interpreting different definitions of it.

Vinyl rocks.
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:47 am

I'm pretty sure I know what you mean by ringwear: a visible, circular outline of the LP on the outer sleeve.
Most of my collection is from 60's - 70's too, some late 50's.
I've got roughly a few hundred, all original US pressings and none of them exhibit ringwear.
I've spent time in second hand vinyl shops browsing through thousands of LP's and don't recall ever seeing ringwear there either, so it's a bit surprising yank sleeves found in the UK do.
Why that is I dunno, interesting question.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:29 am

Yank,. I am sure you will have seen more US records than me so obviously I will take your word for it. Not that it matters anyway!!

The Steptoe one to look out for is the "Down Under" LP as to my knowledge that was never released in the UK. I don't have one of those and sometimes they can fetch a fair few quid...

Wilfrid appeared in the lead billing of "The canterbury Tales" LP - A wonderful soundtrack. Harry had 1 track on "What A Crazy World" but also gave us that solo album. It's unlikely we'll ever see a CD release, which is a big big shame!
PhilGlass

Return to Share your news