Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Back on Gold

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Back on Gold

Postby Karl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:15 am

I may be a little late here but i noticed last night that Albert & Harold are back on the GOLD channel........7-20 every night this week! Last night it was "Men of Letters" i didn't notice any major editing either............ :D :D
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:33 pm

I wih they would be back on proper telly!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby taylorslade » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:58 pm

I have been recording these by Sky Plus, even though I have the DVDs and VHS, I always watch Steptoe when it's on the box, it might sound daft, but it has a certain feel to it when it's on the telly, I'm sure you guys will understand and possibly feel the same.

Tuesday is normally my day off, so today I watched the 11:20am showing of "The Desperate Hours", always one of everyones favourites.

Now, I'm very familiar with the BBC's (or Gold etc) penchant for editing the episodes, for whatever reason, and some of them I can understand why they do it, even though I do not agree with them. Anyway, today, there were some cuts of this episode which I don't see the point in at all. Certain parts of Rossiter's dialogue was chopped for reasons unknown to me, the only thing I can think of is possibly time restrictions, but even that seems absurd to me.

I love Steptoe, and it is my favourite show of all time, along with the Sopranos, but Steptoe will always be my number 1, but sometimes it is frustrating being a Steptoe fan, as there has been that many different instances which can be infuriating, this one is very minor of course and if you weren't a 'hardcore' fan like all of us are then you probably wouldn't notice. However, I think that whenever anything like this crops up, it brings up all of the frustration towards the BBC for all of the idiotic things they have managed to do over the years.

Rant over. Steptoe and Son for life.
"Big Bristols , she had."
--Come dancing.
taylorslade

Postby bob » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:55 am

Couldn't agree more taylorslade

The cuts we most problably made by some "empire builder" at the BBC trying to justify why they shouldn't be one of the 2000 to be made redundant.

Totally unnecessary cuts. Ger rid of them now.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:50 pm

Well,i've watched each episode they've broadcast this week,why do they bother? Every one has cuts! when you know every sentence thats coming its so irritating!!!!! :evil: :evil:

It is good to see Albert & Harold back on tele though! :lol:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:27 am

This might be a controversial view (me? no? never!) but I'd actually rather them not show something at all than show it butchered - well, I'd rather they show it in its entirety, but that's not going to happen.

Yes, it will get 'new' fans, but their ezxperience will be a false one. Steptoe is a work of art. It's like cropping the mona Lisa - you wouldn't do it.

I wonder if all these new recent cuts are a ploy by the devious old BBC - Maybe this new release box set is going to be officially "uncut".

Only Fools had the same stupidity applied to it when they recently showed 2 epsiodes cut in to one in a 50 minute slot. It was crap. You aniticipate hte next line, your favourite joke, and some imbecile who had never previously heard of the bloody show chops it out for the reason Bob said, to justify their wasting of our license fee on lavish bbc lunches (I briefly worked at BBC Manchester years ago and it was disgusting how the money is wasted - and what a joke it is to them all).

CUTS - That's just one letter short of what I think the BBC really are!!!!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Bensworld » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:47 pm

I hate it when they make cuts to episodes. I did watch the episodes shown on Gold, mainly because I tend to watch the channel early evening and get fed up with the same comedies shown over again. So I recorded them and watched them around 5pm. It's not often they show Steptoe & Son.
Bensworld

Return to Share your news