Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Steptoe and Son Ride Again in real HD!

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Steptoe and Son Ride Again in real HD!

Postby Ronnie_1990 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:09 pm

I have just seen that ITV 3 are broadcasting Steptoe and Son ride again in real HD. The film has been worked on as the picture does look very good. This is the first time I have seen this so dont know if they have shown the first movie.
Ronnie_1990

Postby bob » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:41 am

Hi Ronnie

Thanks for the post, but I am being a bit thick.

I understand the film quality has always been better that TV quality. No doubt the film will look better on a HD TV, but ...... as HD didn't exist when the film was made I don't understand how they can do this.

Very interesting.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Ronnie_1990 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:56 pm

The film was shot on 35mm film using standard cameras. ITV or another company have taken the original film stock and put it through a computer. This computer has digitally remastered the picture frame by frame and increased its resolution to HD which is 1080. DVD is 520. Think that’s right. They can do it with anything on 35 MM film or above. Standard episodes for TV were shot on video tape which means they cannot be made into HD. Hope this makes sense. I think everything I said is correct.
Ronnie_1990

Postby Ronnie_1990 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:50 pm

ITV have just told me that the first film was shown in april. There are no plans to show them again in the near future. Gutted. I really wanted copies of these films in HD as they are not on Blu ray yet.
Ronnie_1990

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:33 pm

Ronnie,

Your facts are correct, but it is not real HD unless it was filmed that way- the 'upscaling' process is not always good. As it was filmed in SD, it was designed to look different to HD - There will be blemishes and glitches that did not show in HD.

1080 I OR 1080 P??? This makes a HUGE difference... I saw it and didnt think it was that different. Most HD ets actually give a worse picture quality in general broadcasting - 90% of the time it is broadcast in SD, for exampe, if you watch BBC 1 its not HD you need the HD channel. SD on a HD TV if you look carefully is lower in quality than the od cahtode ray tv's. people think everythng thy watch on it is HD. Incorrect. Some is, most isnt.

I have cathode ray 4x3 t's and wil not change.

But each to their own. We all prefer different things.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks for the updates Ronnie and Phil.

HD, SD, 3D, its still infinitely better than the crap they are making these days !!!!
bob
Site Admin

Postby Ronnie_1990 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi Phil, They would have only shown the HD version on ITV 3 HD on Sky. I have tried taking a few pics but you cannot see the quality very clearly. When they show it again I hope I catch it. I have just watched two clips side by side of HD and SD the picture is so much clearer and brighter on the HD version. I think there may be a Blu Ray on the way.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/1976/dscf2671v.jpg

All HD channels in the UK are in 1080i. The film has been professionaly remasterted, you can tell by the quality of the picture. To confirm it has the HD mark, this would not appear in an upscaled broadcast.
Ronnie_1990

Postby bob » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:24 pm

With bugger all extras no doubt !!!
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:20 pm

Most channels are 1080I yes, but so many tvs are 1080P. Also, this was made in progressive scan not nterlaced so would actually work better on 1080p surely?? Or those with prog scan tv's are just getting a deinterlaced picture. Potato / PotAto... It doesnt really matter does it? It's Steptoe back on the tv we should be glad of it in any form :)

Bob - extras? What are they?
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:48 am

"Extras." Not just any old extras, bugger all extras...it's important to make that distinction.
Sit down in a cheap restaurant, the sleaziest greasy spoon you can find. Order a hamburger, and you get extras. They may not amount to much...soggy lettuce and a wrinkled carrot, miscellaneous condiments that have probably turned.
But at least you can expect them, they're a courtesy even if they're inedible.
A restaurant that couldn't be bothered to toss you a wrinkled carrot with your meal obviously doesn't care what you think or if the business survives.
The comparison might seem off the wall to some but I'm convinced it's apt.
I agree with Phil, 4 x 3 cathode is best though there's no accounting for taste.
Yet I'd go further and suggest what should be patently obvious: so called "technological advances" such as HD, 3D, flat screen, a new mobile phone and/or laptop every freakin week are completely unnecessary.
High tech, high price toys that conceal lack of quality content and keep us spending money.
It's all a diversion folks, a willful addiction, nothing more. And not a wrinkled carrot in sight.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ronnie_1990 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:05 pm

On a tube tv, the film looks clear, but this is not the case on flat screens. With the HD upgrade, it does look clear. As most people now have flat screen tv's, its better that content is made into HD when possible, because it looks bad if it is SD on an LCD/Plasma. I happen to think HD is a good thing, It allows the image to look much brighter and clearer. I think its best to watch something in its best possible form. They have only used what has always been there, The film stock.

If new fans are to be created, the content needs to look "modern". Broadcasters will one day move away from SD content. It will only be shown in the grave yard hours, just like black and white content. (I know SD to HD is not as big as a jump as black and white to colour.) If this is not done, Steptoe will not find any new fans.

If they do release it on Blu-Ray it will be in 1080p, so it would look slightly better.
Ronnie_1990

Re: Steptoe and Son Ride Again in real HD!

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Man those pics look so sweet. I've just bought a 42inch LG HD ready TV but only have digital freeview with their HD channels on and not Sky with ITV3 HD sadly. :| Wish the BBC would re issue the complete series on blu ray but uncut this time unlike before. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby newgen2005 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:11 pm

I agree, they look amazing! I couldn't believe it when ITV3 screened this in true HD, I expected an SD upscale! Just hope they show Steptoe and Son - Rides Again in true HD! or even better release them on Blu-ray!
newgen2005

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:03 pm

newgen2005 wrote:I agree, they look amazing! I couldn't believe it when ITV3 screened this in true HD, I expected an SD upscale! Just hope they show Steptoe and Son - Rides Again in true HD! or even better release them on Blu-ray!

I agree entirely. The only problem with the series in possible HD is that the quality wouldn't be there due to some of the recovered presumed lost episodes frail condition but that wouldn't be a problem with the movies though. Heck, the fans wouldn't mind that what quality was released on Blu ray. After all It's Steptoe but it would be nice that they weren't cut as before. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Next

Return to Share your news