Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

No Forum Access with Internet Explorer 7

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

No Forum Access with Internet Explorer 7

Postby Archie » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:21 pm

I recently installed Internet Explorer 7 and found that I couldn't operate the Forum or indeed any other buttons on the home page.
I re installed it a couple of times but the problem persist's.

Has anyone else had this problem :?:

Luckily I also have Firefox and I can use all the features ok with that browser.
Archie

Postby bob » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:08 am

Archie

I have loaded the forum on a machine with the new Internet explorer. It works fine, but I will be interested to hear if other users have problems to.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:44 pm

I think that it's my computer Bob, I can't read the text in Yahoo e mails and several features in Windows XP have disappeared :x

I replaced Norton with cheap anti virus software and my PC got infected :evil:

Thank gawd for Firefox, I have also set up the laptop for net access and explorer 6 works ok on the laptop.

Moral of the story - use the best Anti Virus software you can afford :!:
Archie

Postby bob » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:48 pm

At a danger of going off topic, what anti-virus software do you use ? I use AVG free. i found norton too intrusive.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:14 pm

Bob it is BULLGUARD V5, it only cost £8.95 from Amazon I have had problems ever since I installed it last week :cry:

I had used Norton for the past year with no problem, Amazon have Norton for £23 I think I'll have to send for it and try and sort out the PC :(
Archie

Postby bob » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:33 pm

Archie

Try AVG there is a free version and a commercial version. It really is very good and dosn't intrude the way norton does. Lots of IT people I know use it, which was why I switched.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:46 pm

My brother who runs his own business uses AVG on his home and business computer's.

I'll give it a try on the PC I'ts already been infected :( .
Archie

Postby Graham_S nli » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:42 pm

Archie,

A number of my colleagues use AVG ( I did until I went with BT and was given a free anti-virus solution... though when I change my internet provider ( very shortly ) I will no doubt go back to AVG ).

AVG Free 7.1 is about to be replaced by AVG Free 7.5 in January....

Another couple of other worthwhile "freebies" to download from the net are Spybot S&D (Search and Destroy) and Lavasoft's Adaware....
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby Archie » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:22 pm

The virus has devastaded all the Microsoft applications, I have Spybot somewhere but the search file utility has been wrecked as has the Microsoft Movie player :(

I can't even set a restore point as that no longer works and the recovery disc refuses to play !.

I spoke to a bloke in the local computer shop who quoted me £80 to sort out the problems, apparently it is quite a common virus designed to wreck XP :(
Archie

Postby Archie » Fri May 11, 2007 11:06 am

Archie wrote:The virus has devastaded all the Microsoft applications, I have Spybot somewhere but the search file utility has been wrecked as has the Microsoft Movie player :(

I can't even set a restore point as that no longer works and the recovery disc refuses to play !.

I spoke to a bloke in the local computer shop who quoted me £80 to sort out the problems, apparently it is quite a common virus designed to wreck XP :(

I was advised that you have to shut down and Re Boot from the Recovery Disc :oops:

The PC is now running normally again :o

I have also installed Norton Antivirus.
Archie

Return to Share your news