Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Steptoe and Son 50th Anniversary

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Steptoe and Son 50th Anniversary

Postby totteron » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:36 pm

I have heard that there is going to be a 50th anniversary celebration on the lads,is there any further news on this ? Also wouldnt it be a good idea if the BBC did a version of Murder at Oil Drum Lane , we saw this at the Lowry in Manchester and it was a fantastic show, there have been a few films dedicated to Hancock with various actors playing the part so why not Steptoe. Oh yeah nearly forgot that other film The Curse of Steptoe and Son, so we have had one sort of reincarnation,I know this one upset some people,but it was ok in some ways.I would've prefered Murder at....though. :wink:
totteron

Re: Steptoe and Son 50th Anniversary

Postby bob » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:37 pm

Welcome Totteron

I am not aware that the BBC is doing anything to celebrate the big Five O.

I agree a TV version of Murder would be really welcome.
bob
Site Admin

Postby totteron » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:32 pm

I read it in the Radio Times I am sure, it was only a small bit, lets hope this doesnt slip by just like the BBC did with the 40th anniversary of the first Quatermass serial 1953-1993,or 50th in 2003 ! Now its coming up to the 60th anniversary of Quatermass in 2013 !! Ah well...Wilf played a drunk in the first serial and a tramp in the 2nd one , no doubt he would've played the tattered man in Quatermass and the Pit if Sydney Bromley hadnt been available ? :twisted:
totteron

Postby melody » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:59 pm

It mite be 50 but still funny. My mates wont watch black n white stuff but I like it. I like modern stuff 2.
melody

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Happy Anniversary Steptoe!!! :)
Half a century, ye gods.
It's disappointing to note that BBC isn't mentioning Steptoe's 50th anniversary, not here anyway.
When I have the opportunity to introduce people to the series they roar with laughter and want to see more!
Yet the show isn't broadcast here and the DVDs aren't available region 1.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby BLAKESCREWE » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:46 pm

HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY!Congrats to all esp RAY and ALAN but most esp for the two superb leads in HARY H CORBETT and WILFRID BRAMBELL, sorely missed but never forgotten!
She`s twisted me out of a tanner!
BLAKESCREWE

Postby Archie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Yes Happy 50th :P
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:49 pm

Indeed. But surely, it really does have to be the other way round?

Because, despite the acting skills of both Brambell and Corbett – who I love very dearly - there wouldn’t have been any roles and thus great words for them to read and act out, if it hadn't been for the absolutely fantastic skills of G&S :wink:

Five ways Steptoe & Son changed TV comedy: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... omedy.html
Last edited by The Pixel Surgeon on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby melody » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:18 pm

The Pixel Surgeon wrote:Indeed. But surely, it really does have to be the other way round?

Because, despite the acting skills of both Bramble and Corbett – who I love very dearly - there wouldn’t have been any roles and thus great words for them to read and act out, if it hadn't been for the absolutely fantastic skills of G&S :wink:

Five ways Steptoe & Son changed TV comedy: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... omedy.html

Isn't it BRAMBELL? I'm sure that's how he spelled it.
melody

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:15 pm

melody wrote:
The Pixel Surgeon wrote:Indeed. But surely, it really does have to be the other way round?

Because, despite the acting skills of both Bramble and Corbett – who I love very dearly - there wouldn’t have been any roles and thus great words for them to read and act out, if it hadn't been for the absolutely fantastic skills of G&S :wink:

Isn't it BRAMBELL? I'm sure that's how he spelled it.

Indeed, you’re learning real quick, melody :oops:

That’s what comes from typing so quickly... (now corrected) Funny, actually, as I've so often pulled people up for spelling his first name as Wilfred, instead of Wilfrid :wink:
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby melody » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Ha yea sowwie I didn't mean 2 sound like a bitch I just thought I saw it otherwise. Yea I noticed his 1st name was spelled diff. on screen.
melody

Postby bob » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:02 am

Don't you worry Melody, Pixel can do with a good telling off every now and then !!!
bob
Site Admin

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:23 pm

http://susannahcorbett.blogspot.com/
I've always enjoyed biographies, but I've never so eagerly anticipated the publication of one before.
When my copy arrives I know I'll read it straight through, cat on my lap and a cuppa beside me :)
With any luck, this will result in a paperback re-issue of Wilfrid's autobio as well!
Dirty Old Yank

Postby melody » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:56 pm

bob wrote:Don't you worry Melody, Pixel can do with a good telling off every now and then !!!

Ur 1 of those groups eh? ;) lol I never need tellin off I'm an angel... Hee hee

That book sounds gd so the other 1 did a book then? Wud make a gr8 pressie for my stepdad. Wots it called?
melody

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:11 pm

"Harry H. Corbett: The Front Legs of the Cow" (Susannah Corbett, March 2012)
http://www.albertandharold.co.uk/shop.html

Wilfrid's autobiography is titled "All Above Board."
Unfortunately it's out of print, though it shouldn't be too difficult to find one.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Next

Return to Share your news