Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Susannah Corbett – Official Book Launch

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Susannah Corbett – Official Book Launch

Postby bob » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:19 am

Just thought you might like to know.

I have been invited to the official launch of Susannah’s new book ‘The Front Legs of the Cow’ which takes place on 20th March.

She has also kindly agreed to give the website an interview, so if there are any questions you would like to ask Susannah about her father or her own career, please let me know.

Susannah also invited Phil Glass to the launch, in recognition of the work he did on the site with respect to the ‘Assorted Rags’ project. I am sure members will be pleased to know that I have contacted Phil and he has agreed to come.
bob
Site Admin

Re: Susannah Corbett – Official Book Launch

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:53 pm

Honoured to be invited... the book is long overdue. Maybe now it can set the record straight for all those who believed the lies and the controversy... there can be no one alive better suited to writing it. Although I have never met Susannah I am in regular contact with her cousin Simon, Harry's nephew and have supplied them with various items of interest.

However, any credit for "Assorted Rags" must go to those generous souls who contributed to it, all I did was compile it.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Karl » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:39 pm

Great to see Phil involved! Nice one Bob!

:D
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby Archie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:40 pm

The book arrived last week but my mother saw it and 'borrowed' it. I've only had a quick glance so far :roll:
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:12 pm

It turns out Steptoe was broadcast here, on the Jack Parr Program (page 215).
Parr's influence was inestimable, he pioneered the talk show format with his Tonight Show on NBC which he hosted 1957-1962. Chances are good the kinescopes (or whatever they used in 1964) of those Parr/Steptoe shows still exist somewhere.
I wonder if that never televised pilot of the first American version of Steptoe can be found as well.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Dear All
I hope you will forgive me if this post sounds like I am boasting, but I think some of you may be interested in it.

Yesterday, I was privileged to be asked to the official launch of Susannah Corbett’s book about her father Harry H. Corbett ‘The Front Legs of the Cow’.

The first thing I must say is that despite a number of far more important guests being there, who we would all love to meet, Susannah was simply fantastic and a really warm and generous hostess. She did her ‘old man’ proud.

She took time to make us welcome and introduced me to another personal hero of mine Enyd Williams. Any of those who said ‘who ?’ leave the forum now !!

Susannah gave a nice speech, mainly thanking all of the people who had helped her with her research and getting the book to the point where it could be published. The last thanks were saved for Harry. An old friend of Harry’s, whose name I couldn’t hear and would have known if I had already read the book, spoke about how kind and generous a friend Harry was. He told a story of Harry stepping in at the last minute to ensure an event for some mentally handicapped children (I hope that is the correct term) didn’t fail. As he spoke of Harry playing with the kids, he found it hard to hold back the tears.

Besides TV star Susannah, also at the event were Fenella Fielding (still smoking !!), Brian Murphy, Anna Karen and many other faces I recognised but couldn’t put a name to. Who are no doubt mortally offended if they are reading this forum.

The strangest part of the day occurred about 20 minutes after the event had started. All of a sudden all of the light from the hall, was obliterated by one of the biggest blokes I have ever seen. He was an octogenarian, wearing a big dark overcoat and carrying a gold topped walking cane. Apparently his name was Alan and he had brought his mate Ray with him. It was quite clear that if it wasn’t for the attention of a lady called Tessa, they would have had no idea where they were or what they were doing !!!

Only joking, I have to admit to being a bit like a kid on Christmas morning and waking to see Santa at the end of the bed. Still I managed to pluck up courage and ask Tessa if I could have my photo taken with them. Unfortunately Alan is currently a bit poorly and couldn’t stand so the picture has me standing with Ray, and Alan sitting in the corner. I should have sat on his knee and told him what I wanted for Christmas !

It was also nice to meet some of Susannah’s extended family. I had a nice chat with a man called Colin, who didn’t realise until 5 years ago that he was related to Harry and his family.

I would hope of significant interest to regular readers of this forum was the fact that I met Phil, who at one time was very supportive of this website. He had read the entire book on a seven hour coach journey down. Someone get that boy an anorack !!! I think we managed to clear up what we both agreed was a previous misunderstanding and I asked him to keep in touch. It would be nice to get a few postings from him soon.

We hope to have an interview with Susannah really soon, but in the meantime make sure you buy the book. It is the true story of Harry’s life.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:20 pm

What a day!

My trip to London was also filled with other adventures, some good some bad, but I don't need to bore you all with those. I don't want to repeat everything Bob said in his post, but I do have a few things I would like to come from me.

What a lovely person Susannah Corbett is - amongst all of those people who I would class to be of great television importance, I found myself being given a lovely greeting, one which actually seemed genuine too. Susannah had time for everyone and we had a lovely conversation... of course, the questions I had wanted to ask just escaped my mind, such as when are we having a reissue of Harry's album, but that can be for another time. Susannah mentioned posts on this site, so she does read your comments! When I read the book, I began to think perhaps the author was being a little too kind to those who have spread those horrible rumours, which of course are mentioned at one point. However, after meeting her I realised she is clearly just a very kind person anyway. And clearly not a day over 21 ;)

The speaker Bob referred to was Harry G. If you read the book you'll hear all about him.

Bob, his lovely partner, Colin and I seemed to think it a great idea to stand in the tiny corridor of the small room, with some very important names from TV squeezing past us. Everyone had time for everyone - I'm sure those I spoke to were thinking "who the bleedin' hell is that?", but I was given the honour of an invite and wasn't going to turn it down!!

Susannah runs a very good blog on her website which I recommend to you all aswell.

I did read the book in one eye-hurting sitting - I had already flicked through a few sections of special interest (such as Australia 77) but this was the first full reading and I was gripped. Other areas of major interest to me were the Workshop Theatre days and the post-Steptoe years. But on practically every page was a new fact that took my breath away - it's also got a lot of funny moments too, which probably made me look stupid on a coach full of people trying to sleep (the journey started at midnight) he's me wetting myself laughing. Ah well. Even to the final chapter there was something that surprised me.

BUY THIS BOOK. You all know me, I would not hesitate to say so if I didn't like it but it genuinely is a fantastic read, and worth every penny.

One last thing - the following day due to a change of plans I had time on my hands and took a trip down to Pimlico. I visited Wilfrid's old flat. I also passed the antiques shop he was pictured outside several times in 1970 which is on the next street. Perhaps a voyage of little importance, but it made me happy.

TTFN
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:24 pm

It's safe to say we're all a bit jealous for not having been there, sounds like the launch went very well ("Santa's knee"...lolol).
I couldn't agree more: this book is outstanding, highly recommended!
Fascinating reading whether or not one is an admirer of Harry's work or a Steptoe fan, there's so much more.
The funny bits are quite funny aren't they?
Phil, I'll wager if the passengers you woke with your laughter knew what you were reading they wouldn't have minded. They'd have crowded round, reading over your shoulder :)
One can't help but be struck by Susannah's admirable evenhandedness throughout. Neither dry nor overly sentimental, this isn't just an excellent biography, it's an important document as well. BUY THIS BOOK.
And Get Well Soon Alan!!!
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:55 pm

As DOY says I'm sure we are all a bit jealous at not being there :twisted: It was obviously an amazing day :)

I'm intrigued about Brian Murphy and Anna Karen, were they friends of Harry ? :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby bob » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Hi Archie

If the invites were up,to me ........ etc

I think both Brian M anD Anna K were very much part of the Stratford East Group.

Like Harry I think TV hindered rather than helped their career.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby THE VICAR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:25 am

"sounds good folks im glad susannah liked the assorted rags project wich i gave a lot of my recordings to i would love to put my recodings on to cd as they are on audio tape esp harrys intro of the first radio episode of steptoe and the 1967 christmas night with the star might not be around to view no more but i have the audio track im waiting for my book to come from amazione well done every one .
not the vicar again hes had two bob of me this year already.
THE VICAR

Postby grob » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:07 pm

It was also nice to meet some of Susannah’s extended family. I had a nice chat with a man called Colin, who didn’t realise until 5 years ago that he was related to Harry and his family

Bob, Phil,

It was nice to meet you both at the book signing, I was the relative of Su that you were speaking to by the entrance when Ray and Alan walked in. Am I Colin? or was there really another Corbett relative there that I did not meet. It seemed to be a day for getting names wrong as Su signed my copy of her book "Phil" so you must have made a great impression on her. She offered to sign another copy but I told her to just cross "Phil" out and put "Gareth" (My real name) instead as I thought it might be more valuable that way. Next time I will ask her to sign it "Colin".

I too had a great time meeting long lost Corbett relatives. As well as relatives I had a long chat with Ray a throurougly good bloke.

You were both great company and helped me to break the ice in a room full of people who were mostly strangers to me, also you were a great help in pointing out all the stars that I did not recognise.

Now, where do I find the crossword?

All the best

Gareth
grob

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Well this is embarassing...

I'm being a coward and going to blame Bob as I took the name from his post assuming I had got it wrong... (if I'm going down I'm taking you with me!!!!!).

Sincere apologies mate.

I guess it is hard for anyone signing books to keep concentration with so many people there, especially if you were straight after me. Yes, likewise about the ice breaking - it was easy to feel a little out of place but we kind of had our little group to fall back on, which was nice, and you were also very interesting to talk to.

Please keep in touch!! If you are interested in seeing some of Harry's other work that isn't commerically available let me know I can put a few things your way (out of good will, I never take money or anything). Or I'm happy to chat on and on about Steptoe any time you wish!

A pleasure to meet you.

P.S. Susannah crossed out something in my book too, when I pointed out the "typo" she mentioned on her blog, only to find the embarassment that I had pointed out another one instead. Still, it gives the book more personality and makes it unique. Mine is amongst my favourite Steptoe possessions!!
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:29 pm

Sorry Colin / Gareth / Whatever !!!

I am getting on a bit now and I also had a few drinks between the launch and writing my post, so the brain cells are dying fast !!!

By the way, my dedication is very nice and with my proper name on it too !!!

A link to the Crossword is below.

http://www.albertandharold.co.uk/Steptoe_Games/Steptoe_Crossword_Puzzle.php

It was very nice to meet you and all those other people who I have better not name for fear of getting their name wrong.

I think Phil's comment about the actors with the Stratford East connection is correct.
bob
Site Admin

Postby stuart » Thu May 17, 2012 6:25 pm

I finished reading the book this morning; an excellent read.
stuart

Next

Return to Share your news