Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

signed galton and simpson prints

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: signed galton and simpson prints

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:49 am

Elbolsa wrote:hi all,
i've just read this post and can assure you that Hitlers autograph is no where near the most expensive autograph that you can buy.He is relatively easy to get as he signed absolutely tons of pieces of paper during his time.A decent Neil Armstrong would cost more than Hitler and he's still alive.Mind you he stopped signing 20 years or so ago.Whilst i was auctioneering (i've retired after 40 years)the holy grail was the bard William.Elbolsa

I stand corrected. I would have thought Armstrong signed many in the 70's. I've always lvoed auctions I used to go the them every week and could always have imagined myself doing that, I'm sure it's much MUCH harder than it looks. :)
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Elbolsa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:29 pm

, I'm sure it's much MUCH harder than it looks. :)[/quote]
Well Phil i'm not sure if it is hard at all.Though auctioneering different things ( livestock,general auction and real antiques)is approached in a different way.Mainly speed and pronounciation.I must admit that there are a lot of auctioneers, that just shouldn't be doing it at all.Only there for who ,rather than what they know.
The best that i managed to achieve was from Chicago when i picked up 2 books that had a Marilyn Monroe in.An awful lot of Adolphs there
Wilfrid and Harold were extremely good signers.Wilfrid's often being signed "sincerely".Harolds "God bless".Obviously this is not the only indearments that they inscribed ,but the ones i have come across most often.Wilfrid would sometimes write a couple of personalised lines on the back of photographs.Especially ones that were from his early career.Harold would sign anything,one of my favourites being an handkerchief which he put on "i hope this brings luck".I posted an image of this on the old site.
I have apple boxes of their memorabillia,which i hope will go someway to funding my retirement!!
Elbolsa
Elbolsa

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:49 am

Yes , Wilfrid was often known for writing handwritten letters back to Tue came as well as adding poetry to things when he signed them. He would often point out the spelling of his first name saying "I have two eyes and so does my name". Although after a few too many gins his autograph could be a little squiffy.

Funnily enough Harrys daughter signs 'corbett' almost identical to her dad.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Elbolsa » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:02 am

Funnily enough Harrys daughter signs 'corbett' almost identical to her dad
You would be amazed at how prevelant that is.The one that comes to me straight away is Donald and Malcolm Campbell.Mind you that could have something to do with the fact that Donald used to forge and sell his fathers autograph to get money when he was at school!!
Elbolsa

Postby Ronnie_1990 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:25 pm

There are loads of signed things on that site. Wish I had the money for them.
Ronnie_1990

Postby harryfaversham » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:11 pm

That makes 2 of us lol
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Previous

Return to Share your news