Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Geoffrey Hughes RIP

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Geoffrey Hughes RIP

Postby harryfaversham » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Another comedy great taken from us. He died at the age of 68 after a long battle with prostate cancer. Obviously he was best known as Eddie Yates in Corrie, Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances and Twiggy in The Royle Family but he appeared in hundreds of shows and films. Our thoughts and prayers with his family, I'm sure everybody will agree.
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Re: Geoffrey Hughes RIP

Postby BLAKESCREWE » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:12 pm

Inc annoying Alf Garnett at the wedding of his daughter in the movie of TDUDP, RIP!
She`s twisted me out of a tanner!
BLAKESCREWE

Postby Tom Jones » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:50 am

Here is a Tribute

Actor Geoffrey Hughes dies aged 68 Hughes, known to millions as binman Eddie Yates in Coronation Street, has died after a two year battle with prostate cancer

Actor Geoffrey Hughes, famous for his roles in Coronation Street and Keeping Up Appearances, has died aged 68.

Hughes, who was known to millions for playing binman Eddie Yates in the soap during the 1970s and 1980s, died on Friday night after a two year battle with prostate cancer.

Friends and former colleagues have paid tribute to the star describing him as a "warm, lovable actor, with great comedy timing."

Ricky Tomlinson, who acted alongside him in The Royle Family, said: "Geoff wasn't just an actor. He was my mate. I used to call him every few weeks but hadn't spoken to him in about a fortnight. It's such a loss."

William Roache, who plays Ken Barlow in Coronation Street, added: "I am so sorry to hear about Geoffrey. He was a warm, lovable actor, with great comedy timing. He will be greatly missed, one of the Street's memorable characters."

Anne Kirkbride, who plays Deirdre Barlow in the soap, paid tribute on Twitter, writing: "The rainbow must have been for him. RIP Geoff. Really sad xx". Gavin and Stacey star Mathew Horne tweeted: "Sad to hear of Geoffrey Hughes passing. Onslow was the original LAD."

Hughes first appeared in 1960s classics such as Z-Cars and The Likely Lads and was the voice of Paul McCartney in the Beatles film The Yellow Submarine.

He also played roles in Heartbeat, teen drama Skins, Doctor Who, Casualty, Boon and The Upper Hand.

In 2009 he was appointed Deputy Lord Lieutenant for the Isle of Wight, making him "the official link between the island and royalty at formal engagements".

A Coronation Street spokeswoman said: "We are very sad to hear of the death of Geoffrey Hughes. He created a legendary and iconic character in Eddie Yates who will always be part of Coronation Street.

"Everyone connected with the programme send our sincerest condolences to his family."

Hughes thought he had beaten prostate cancer in 2009 but discovered it had returned a year later after he collapsed at his home in the Isle of Wight.

His family said the actor passed away "peacefully in his sleep" after "a long and courageous battle" with the disease.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/2 ... sfeed=true
Tom Jones

Postby Tom Jones » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:51 am

That’s a shame, I was only thinking about him the other day.
He was in a lot of shows, but to me he will always be Onslow.

Rip Sir
Tom Jones

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:09 pm

I had no idea he'd been ill andthis really shocked me. A brilliant actor, who to me is always Onslow, but also remember him from Heartbeat when I was younger.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Yes another great loss, he was in an episode of' Randall & Hopkirk' also the excellent' Adolf Hitler My Part In His Downfall' - Spike Milligans story about training for the war. I read Ricky Tomlisons biography last year, they were good mates.

RIP
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Tom Jones » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:52 am

He was in Heartbeat just after Bill Maynard had a stroke and i think he played a charater called Scripps.
Tom Jones

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:52 am

RIP
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby harold » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:12 pm

yes he will be missed i most enjoyed him as onslow on keeping up appearences rip geoffrey
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Return to Share your news