Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Wilfrid Brambell Daily Mail Claims

Your chance to update other users on forthcoming events. Is a new DVD about to be released ? Any special documentaries planned ? Anything you feel would appeal to Steptoe fans

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Wilfrid Brambell Daily Mail Claims

Postby Ronnie_1990 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Steptoe and Son actor Wilfrid Brambell last night became the latest BBC star accused of child sex abuse.
Two men claimed the late actor molested them when they were children in Jersey in the early 1970s.
He was named following the scandal engulfing the corporation over the reign of abuse carried out by Jimmy Savile.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z29fZD3SrS
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Do you think its true? :|
Ronnie_1990

Re: Wilfrid Brambell Daily Mail Claims

Postby Archie » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:55 pm

No Way!. A few years ago it was Satanic abuse :twisted: - mainly in America, ridiculous claims about underground tunnels linking major cities, newborn babies being sacrificed, top politicians and celebrities supposedly involved.
When the heat died down there was not a single proven case, something the media conveniently ignored :roll:
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Tom Jones » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:49 am

Isn’t it amazing that these alligations come out, well after the person is deceased and can’t defend themselves.
Tom Jones

Postby harryfaversham » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:28 am

With Savile I can accept it due to the volume and nature of allegations but Brambell? No way
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:19 pm

OKAY, LET US DEAL WITH THIS!

These allegations actually go back several years. A nazi sympathising website discussed the jersey case. Savile's name came up at the time, and so did Wilfrid's. Those who discussed this were so uneducated that they were able to spell either of his names correctly. This is important - it shows that very little research was done by the original posters.

In 1962 Wilfrid Brambell was arrested for a "sex crime". His crime was being homosexual. This was a criminal offence in men until 1967 (ironically, the law did not accept that homosexual women existed until 2009, making it neither legal nor illegal, and allowing female paedophiles to escape justice). It is therefore very easy to pin Wilfrid in the "sexual deviant" category. His crime was being homosexual, and he was arrested on suspicion of "cottaging". At the time it was mentioned that all people believed to be involved were adults, however the law named it "cottaging for boys". if he had cottaged for a 79 yea\r old man, the law saw this as "boys".

These Nazi supporters who began the rumours no doubt used this tag to pin this on Wilfrid.

Now, Savile denied it, and it turned out, I think it is safe to say, that there was some truth to it. Firstly, there has been no solid proof of Wilfrid ever attending the children's home in jersey. Secondly, many people visited this home on innocent intentions.

There are no substantial pieces of evidence and Wilfrid can not answer back. That speaks volumes!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ronnie_1990 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Phil, these allegations do not relate to the incident you are referring to. I agree because of that incident it does make it easier to label him, but these two people have come forward, there stories match up to their life at the time, unfortunately its very possible it did happen. Its hard to think that I know. Who can really prove weather it happened or if they are jumping on the band wagon after some money, It can never be proven either way!. Of course it is strange that they should wait all this time, even after his death to come out with it.
Ronnie_1990

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Ronnie English wrote:Do you think its true?

Think? I think I've read more convincing comic books. I think I've seen more persuasive zombie movies. Inflammatory accusations like this aren't created for people who think. They're created for people who don't want to think, for those that have relegated that privilege to an outside force. In this case, cheap tabloids. Sorry if that seems a bit sarcy but we're all devoted Steptoe fans, obviously we're gonna have difficulty with such claims lol. Historically, when the papers start filling with ridiculous headlines that would have us all believe a combine of perverts are coming for our loved ones, it's usually because something far worse is being concealed.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Elbolsa » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:40 pm

allegedly covers a lot of things in life;especially when making accusations against people.alive or dead.Pretty poor form as usual from the Mail.Lets just see if they back it up with any claims that don't somewhere in it have that great cop out word "allegedly" in it.
Elbolsa

Postby bob » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:19 am

I hope you will all understand and forgive me for locking this forum.

We have a very serious situation here. While we are all hoping that the claims about Wilfrid are proven to be false, we must not forget that there are people who have made very serious allegations about things that happened to them as children. Their claims need to be properly considered and investigated.

I don’t want this debate to go down any particularly avenue, and certainly not to be accused of turning a blind eye to the unacceptable. At this stage the “jury” is out.

This is not an attempt to block free speech, but rather to create a situation where people who have serious allegations to make, can make them, without feeling that groups with an interest (as we have in this story) unintentionally question the veracity of their claims.

I am sure you will understand. I will leave this thread as it stands and hope that at some point in the future it can be unlocked again.

I am sure it is unnecessary to say this, but any new threads that return to this subject will be deleted.

Thank you for your understanding.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Return to Share your news