Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

RIP Peter Sallis 1921-2017

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

RIP Peter Sallis 1921-2017

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:24 am

Sadly the great actor Peter Sallis has died at the age of 96. His passing closes the final chapter being the last surviving original cast member of the classic comedy series "Last Of The Summer Wine", which ran from 1973-2010 as character Clegg, appearing in all 295 episodes. He was also famous as the voice of Wallace in Nick Park's "Wallace and Gromit" film franchise. RIP Peter. :|

Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: RIP Peter Sallis 1921-2017

Postby Uncle Nobby » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:45 am

RIP Cleggy.

Another wonderful actor down.

So the Last of the Summer Wine has finally been drunk.

RIP Peter Sallis.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:00 am

Sad news. I remember Peter Sallis best from “Taste the Blood of Dracula” (1970) in which he plays Paxton, one of three stodgy Victorians leading a secret life of bacchanal debauchery. The three men make the mistake of engaging Ralph Bates to perform a dark rite but realize they’ve gone too far when Bates insists they drink the blood of Dracula (Christopher Lee). Not Hammer at their best but a fun picture all the same.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:55 pm

I remember Peter Sallis best from “Taste the Blood of Dracula” (1970)

Yeah, that was a great film with Peter Sallis in. Hammer's Ralph Bates (Dear John) was menacing also as the dark lord's loyal servant and follower. As you know. Sallis's character was into illicit perverted activities with his colleagues, who all were desperate for a new fix. The scene that sticks in my memory was the one where Bates sourced Dracula's cloak powered blood and signet ring from coachman Roy Kinnear, as seen in the previous film in which Andrew Keir staked him with a cross, after Bates after pleading for funds from Sallis and Co. He then promised all an experience they'd never had before by creating that dark mass in that abandoned church with the pretense of raising his master, then proceeded to fill four goblets with powdered blood, slit his wrist, with the blood rising like tomato soup to the brim. Then demanded the all sup from it to raise Dracula. The scene ends with all retching in disgust with Bates calling them all cowards, then drinking the blood himself resulting in his death and Dracula's resurrection. :shock: 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Agreed ILS, and while “Taste the Blood of Dracula” (1970) isn’t my favorite Hammer film, despite any flaws it’s always fun to watch and Peter Sallis had the most challenging role of anyone in the movie, his character had the widest arc. Initially confident and incredulous of the claims of Ralph Bates and Roy Kinnear, then against his better judgement bullied by Geoffrey Keen into participating, and finally terrified out of his wits. Good to see those 1970 locations then unsullied; Black Park and the approach to the Courtley (Ralph Bates) chapel was Highgate Cemetery.
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...as seen in the previous film in which Andrew Keir staked him with a cross...

A courteous correction mate, brilliant Andrew Keir did not appear in the previous picture, “Dracula Has Risen From the Grave” (1969), in that film Christopher Lee falls backwards onto a gigantic cross. You might be thinking of the excellent “Dracula, Prince of Darkness” (1965) in which Keir plays a courageous priest, but there Lee was drowned, not staked. Sallis is terrific but the most interesting bit (for me anyway) about “Taste the Blood of Dracula”....is the depiction of how sublimated sexuality combined with blind religious fervor often manifests itself as excesses of all kinds and not infrequently violence. Sallis was also in "The Curse of the Werewolf" (1961), another Hammer classic.
Watched the film yesterday and was genuinely surprised to find Sallis in the Werewolf cast list. Hadn't recognized him before, with the Mitch Miller style (van dyke) waxed moustache & beard. A very fine and versatile actor.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:57 am

Re “Taste the Blood of Dracula” (1970). Yeah, I agree. It has its faults, sure. But I still think it's far superior to most modern day horrors. The caliber of actor isn't their anymore sadly.

Re Andrew Keir. Oh sorry about that DOY? I was sure he appeared as a monk , as shown in a flashback of Dracula (Christopher Lee) falling off a cliff, then becoming impaled onto a crucifix placed by the said monk/father. In “Taste the Blood of Dracula” (1970) we then saw the dried blood cape and signet ring being picked up by a carriageman (played by Rory Kinnear), who happened to witness it all while travelling down a country lane one stormy night. We then see him explaining how came upon these unholy artifacts before they were sold, well so I thought? Saying that. I was partially right with the Kinnear facts, not so with Keir. I might have got it mixed up with the classic "Prince of Darkness (1966)" though? Keir was definitely a monk/father in that. He appeared with actress Barbara Shelley who also appeared with him in the brilliant "Quatermass and the Pit (1967)." Although I've got “Taste the Blood of Dracula” (1970) in my DVD collection, but haven't seen it in ages. So my mistake. Funny how the memory fails sometimes. :oops:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:15 pm

My memory isn’t any better than yours ILS, I simply had the benefit of watching all 3 Dracula films recently and an excellent book as a reference tool, “The Hammer Vampire” by Bruce G. Hallenbeck, fun recommended reading :).
It’s easy enough to confuse “Dracula Has Risen From the Grave” and “Dracula, Prince of Darkness”, both films have priests as lead characters; Andrew Keir as monastery abbot Father Sandor, Rupert Davies as Monsignor Muller, and Ewan Hooper as the priest Lee terrifies into obeyance. Both movies are personal favorites, not just for the acting talent but directing (Terence Fisher, Freddie Francis) and technical departments as well. I was mistaken about Risen From the Grave, although Lee does fall backwards onto a giant cross at the climax, he is indeed staked earlier in the film (and a startling scene it is too, unusual amounts of kensington gore) but survives by pulling the stake out :shock:.
Dirty Old Yank

Return to RIP - In Memoriam