Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

BILL MAYNARD 1928- 2018

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

BILL MAYNARD 1928- 2018

Postby ebdons » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi, just heard Bill Maynard has died, one of my favourite comedy actors, obviously great in the Steptoe film, but another british legend gone, this year is starting so bad, all the best Tony
ebdons

Re: BILL MAYNARD 1928- 2018

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:49 am

Very sad news indeed. Maynard survived a number of strokes, so to be taken by an accident, a broken hip, seems unfair really. Jack Douglas said that as a young comic Bill was quite handsome and something of a sex symbol, girls would crowd outside stage doors in hope of meeting him. A favorite Carry On moment from At Your Convenience, is Bill describing Joan Sims’ ample bristols, “Well, I mean look at ‘em. Like two bald headed convicts trying to burst out of jail.” And his performance in Ride Again is hilarious, a classic.
Clear weather Bill..and smooth sailing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0K3GJqZbKI.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Uncle Nobby » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:41 pm

RIP Bill Maynard.

Also known as Claude Jeremiah Greengrass.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:57 pm

I met Bill once. He was horrible. Rudest man I've ever known.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:30 pm

PhilGlass wrote:I met Bill once. He was horrible. Rudest man I've ever known.

Good to see you posting again mate, hope you'll stick around :).
At risk of stating the obvious, celebrities can sometimes grow weary of being public figures and blurt inappropriate comments to complete strangers that think they know you and want to chat and shake your hand all the time.
And to meet someone you admire only to have them react with perceived hostility, can be startling.
I've experienced what you're describing... As a youth, I was a huge fan of Harlan Ellison’s fiction, he passed on recently, sorry to say. But once upon a time, having stood in a bookshop queue to meet him and have my mass market paperback editions of his brilliant work signed, he was needlessly sharp with me and I was stung by his remarks. Was he being rude? No, that's just how he was with lots of people, which I didn't know at the time.
They say that with age comes wisdom and thank goodness I've been spared that burden, phew! :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:12 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
PhilGlass wrote:I met Bill once. He was horrible. Rudest man I've ever known.

Good to see you posting again mate, hope you'll stick around :).
At risk of stating the obvious, celebrities can sometimes grow weary of being public figures and blurt inappropriate comments to complete strangers that think they know you and want to chat and shake your hand all the time.
And to meet someone you admire only to have them react with perceived hostility, can be startling.
I've experienced what you're describing... As a youth, I was a huge fan of Harlan Ellison’s fiction, he passed on recently, sorry to say. But once upon a time, having stood in a bookshop queue to meet him and have my mass market paperback editions of his brilliant work signed, he was needlessly sharp with me and I was stung by his remarks. Was he being rude? No, that's just how he was with lots of people, which I didn't know at the time.
They say that with age comes wisdom and thank goodness I've been spared that burden, phew! :o.

In fairness I never admired him. It was nothing to do with fandom, I met him when I was in the queue behind him in a shop in whitby. He seemed to think by swearing and pointing out who he was that made his money more valuable than ours. He behaved like the end of a bell!!
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:19 pm

PhilGlass wrote:In fairness I never admired him. It was nothing to do with fandom, I met him when I was in the queue behind him in a shop in whitby. He seemed to think by swearing and pointing out who he was that made his money more valuable than ours. He behaved like the end of a bell!!

I didn’t mean to suggest you were a fan of Bill's, nor did I seek to defend him.
That’d be silly because, obviously I wasn’t there, and I didn't know him. I had only hoped to suggest the possibility
of the sort of misunderstanding that tend to occur more frequently when celebrities are involved, people are
more likely to remember their faux pas than yours or mine. I had also hoped to subtly suggest,
that speaking ill of the dead might be inappropriate.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote: I had also hoped to subtly suggest, that speaking ill of the dead might be inappropriate.

Depends on the dead person I suppose.... Hitler? Mussolini? Brady... bloody nice blokes Im guessing? :lol: :lol: :lol: ha ha (im joking)
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:07 pm

PhilGlass wrote:Depends on the dead person I suppose...Mussolini?...(im joking)

Il Duce.....I seem to remember him. Didn't he appear in an episode of "The Young Ones"? :roll:.
Obviously I wasn't referring to criminal despots, and yes I know you're kidding mate, no worries :).
We’ve both met some famous folks and most are really nice, so it’s easy to imagine the frustration and disappointment when a celebrity publicly behaves like a berk. And though we've all heard the stories, I’ve
never experienced or eye-witnessed anything quite like what you described. All I'm suggesting, is the once
proud profession of mainstream news reporting has sunk so low, with yellow journalism now the rule and
not the exception, that famous folks can't fart without it being deemed newsworthy...and the public eats
it up because they're inundated with it and aren't given an alternative. When Diana was tragically killed,
I naively thought that's the end of the tabloids. How wrong I was.
Dirty Old Yank

Return to RIP - In Memoriam