Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Rutger Hauer

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Rutger Hauer

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:42 am

It’s been something over a year now since he passed on, but as an brilliant actor and cinema icon and with COVID lockdowns dramatically increasing…maybe it’s time to remember his remarkable career and watch those movies again, as I’ve been doing. Always great fun to watch him act, Rutger never took a false step regardless of role,
even when some of the pictures he appeared in were not of the highest quality, and there were needlessly far
too many of those. But that’s the nature of the film industry innit, wasted talent. Bit roles for genius actors,
which Hauer clearly was, reminding us of Harry H Corbett. Pig ignorant studio execs is not a new subject.
Rutger’s CV is obviously far too long to list here, but I remember him best from the both highly recommended “Turkish Delight” (1973) and “Soldier of Orange” (1979)….before director Paul Verhoeven moved to 'hollywood'
and immediately began his meteoric rise to mediocrity. Also and obviously Ridley Scott’s genius “Blade Runner” (1982) which still stands as an landmark achievement in cinema artistry. Also Richard Donner’s “Ladyhawke”
(1985)…and bit parts in obnoxiously juvenile movies like “Sin City” (2005) and “Batman Begins” (2005).
But perhaps most notably for the Rutger Hauer fan is the outrageously violent, kensington gore splashed,
deliberately over the top extreme exploitation piece, “Hobo With A Shotgun" (2011). And though that film will
likely offend some people, "Hobo With A Shotgun" is unlikely to disabuse most folks of the widely/correctly
accepted notion that Canadians are a nation of polite people who don’t go round casually bludgeoning
strangers with blunt instruments. Rutger was an environmentalist, philanthropist, AIDS activist, pacifist...
and an example of what human beings can aspire to. A thoroughly cool bloke, never met him, wish I had.
Rust in vrede Rutger, mocht u ervoor kiezen om dit te doen.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!" - Harold
"Hey careful man, there's a beverage here!" - The Dude
Dirty Old Yank

Return to RIP - In Memoriam