Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Mel Smith dies

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Mel Smith dies

Postby Archie » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:56 pm

I heard on the news that comedian/actor Mel Smith has died from a heart attack aged just 60.
Mel will be most familiar from the 'Not The Nine O'clock News' series from the 80's.

RIP
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Re: Mel Smith dies

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:18 pm

An extraordinary career and really nice fella by all accounts. The only bit of Not the Nine O'Clock News I've had the opportunity to see was an all too brief but very funny clip of their parody of the famous televised "debate" over Life of Brian, Bishop Stockwood and Malcolm Muggeridge both condemning the masterpiece, with John Cleese and Michael Palin defending. I knew Smith best as the cheery torturers assistant in The Princess Bride, a favorite and memorable role.
RIP Mel
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Re: Mel Smith dies

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:28 pm

Pretty shocked at his death really. I know he wasn't seen on TV much as he used to, and he didn't need to be after selling his production company for millions but I loved him in the classic 80s Not the nine o'clock news, the brilliant Alas Smith & Jones and his movie appearances such as the hilarious Bull shot film , Morons from outer space & wilt. Very sad and way too young. :|
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Return to RIP - In Memoriam