Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Lewis Collins dies

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Lewis Collins dies

Postby Archie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:57 pm

Lewis Collins best known for playing ex SAS man 'Bodie' in the 70's action series The Professionals, has died of cancer age 67.
RIP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ead_module
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
User avatar
Archie
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:40 pm
Location: Largs Ayrshire Coast

Re: Lewis Collins dies

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Pretty shocked at this as I never knew he was ill with cancer. Loved him obviously in the Professionals as Bodie and Ironically I only bought the Cuckoo Waltz complete series 1 to 4 only 2 weeks ago with him in. Great Actor and a terrible loss at only 67yrs. :|
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Lewis Collins dies

Postby bob » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:28 am

I was told (by a policeman) that Lewis Collins would have been financially better off if The Professionals was allowed to be re-run, but Martin Shaw would not agree to it - not to spite Collins, but because he wanted to move away from the 'Doyle' character.

Given that I was told by a Policeman, I am uncertain about the veracity of this claim and wonder if someone can clarify.
User avatar
bob
Site Admin
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Bradwell on Sea, Essex

Re: Lewis Collins dies

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:38 pm

bob wrote:I was told (by a policeman) that Lewis Collins would have been financially better off if The Professionals was allowed to be re-run, but Martin Shaw would not agree to it - not to spite Collins, but because he wanted to move away from the 'Doyle' character.

Given that I was told by a Policeman, I am uncertain about the veracity of this claim and wonder if someone can clarify.



I can't understand actors who shy away from roles that made them famous? After all Lewis Collins went to California in the early eighties and most likely American audiences never heard of the Professionals series unless they watched it on BBC America or indeed maybe it was the reason they employed him because of his profile in that show ect... so you think at least he's allow a re-run, and yes it might have meant he was still thought & consciences of the British audiences as Doyle but he would have at least financially made money from the royalties for himself and Martin Shaw? The same can be said of Diana Rigg who unlike Patrick MacNee frowned upon any one mentioning the Avengers even though it gave her the platform to do other projects beyond the show. My motto is don't bite the hand that made you famous I say. :|
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Lewis Collins dies

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:15 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...I can't understand actors who shy away from roles that made them famous? ...Diana Rigg...frowned upon any one mentioning the Avengers even though it gave her the platform to do other projects beyond the show. My motto is don't bite the hand that made you famous I say. :|


If that's true, it's difficult to know the context in which she expressed it. Tabloid journalists, editors and their employers aren't well known for getting their facts right. On the contrary, they've built a global empire by getting practically everything wrong.
Diana Rigg as Emma Peel (and Rachel Welch regardless of role) defined feminine for an entire generation of yanks.
We all realized, the show is a little ridiculous, but Rigg is an extraordinary actress!!
I somehow doubt that would put her off.
Boris Karloff famously said, a typecast actor is a lucky actor. That may seem trite coming from his (hard earned) position of privilege and times have changed dramatically but there's something to be said for that, in an industry where profits outweigh performance and performers continue to outnumber roles by an unfathomable margin. Nevertheless, we can't fault brilliant artists for wanting to break out of the mold, Harry H. Corbett a case in point.

RIP Lewis Collins
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Lewis Collins dies

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...I can't understand actors who shy away from roles that made them famous? ...Diana Rigg...frowned upon any one mentioning the Avengers even though it gave her the platform to do other projects beyond the show. My motto is don't bite the hand that made you famous I say. :|


If that's true, it's difficult to know the context in which she expressed it. Tabloid journalists, editors and their employers aren't well known for getting their facts right. On the contrary, they've built a global empire by getting practically everything wrong.
Diana Rigg as Emma Peel (and Rachel Welch regardless of role) defined feminine for an entire generation of yanks.
We all realized, the show is a little ridiculous, but Rigg is an extraordinary actress!!
I somehow doubt that would put her off.
Boris Karloff famously said, a typecast actor is a lucky actor. That may seem trite coming from his (hard earned) position of privilege and times have changed dramatically but there's something to be said for that, in an industry where profits outweigh performance and performers continue to outnumber roles by an unfathomable margin. Nevertheless, we can't fault brilliant artists for wanting to break out of the mold, Harry H. Corbett a case in point.

RIP Lewis Collins


She ( Dianna Rigg) was honest in saying though that it was just another job and that she didn't have any sentimental attachment to the series and would often refuse interviews if they mentioned Avengers not because she disliked the show but it was in the past and she was doing other projects which is understandable I suppose if she's promoting a theatre show or series if they kept asking questions about something she did 40+ yrs ago. The same was for the great Alec Guinness who made as he thought that low budget film Star Wars in which he never even got paid as he said to George lucus I'll have a cut of the film sales ( Clever man :) ) even he got paranoid about the films when whatever he did people always wanted him to talk about the Star Wars films although you can't blame the fans or media who loved him in that role but it must have grated at some point I admit. It's a thin line to walk when famous to acknowledge your past achievements even if it type casts you slightly as that past success opened many a door normally closed to others. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Lewis Collins dies

Postby Ivor Biggun » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:07 am

Wow. Sad to hear about this. I live across the pond, so I don't get to hear about the latest doings of my favorite British stars as often I would like. The Professionals is one of my favorite action series from that time period. I heard that it was considered controversial because of the copious amounts of violence in it. After watching it, though, it doesn't seem to be any more violent than American cop shows like Starsky and Hutch.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Re: Lewis Collins dies

Postby Ivor Biggun » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:11 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:
bob wrote:I was told (by a policeman) that Lewis Collins would have been financially better off if The Professionals was allowed to be re-run, but Martin Shaw would not agree to it - not to spite Collins, but because he wanted to move away from the 'Doyle' character.

Given that I was told by a Policeman, I am uncertain about the veracity of this claim and wonder if someone can clarify.



I can't understand actors who shy away from roles that made them famous? After all Lewis Collins went to California in the early eighties and most likely American audiences never heard of the Professionals series unless they watched it on BBC America or indeed maybe it was the reason they employed him because of his profile in that show ect... so you think at least he's allow a re-run, and yes it might have meant he was still thought & consciences of the British audiences as Doyle but he would have at least financially made money from the royalties for himself and Martin Shaw? The same can be said of Diana Rigg who unlike Patrick MacNee frowned upon any one mentioning the Avengers even though it gave her the platform to do other projects beyond the show. My motto is don't bite the hand that made you famous I say. :|


Because they've moved on and want their fans to move on with them. Michael Nesmith of The Monkees was that way for a long time, wanting to be recognized for his more recent endeavors rather than what he was doing 40 years ago. It was only in recent years that he re-embraced his role as a Monkee and finally agreed to tour with them again. Davey Jones passing probably had a lot to do with his decision.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Re: Lewis Collins dies

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:39 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:
bob wrote:I was told (by a policeman) that Lewis Collins would have been financially better off if The Professionals was allowed to be re-run, but Martin Shaw would not agree to it - not to spite Collins, but because he wanted to move away from the 'Doyle' character.

Given that I was told by a Policeman, I am uncertain about the veracity of this claim and wonder if someone can clarify.



I can't understand actors who shy away from roles that made them famous? After all Lewis Collins went to California in the early eighties and most likely American audiences never heard of the Professionals series unless they watched it on BBC America or indeed maybe it was the reason they employed him because of his profile in that show ect... so you think at least he's allow a re-run, and yes it might have meant he was still thought & consciences of the British audiences as Doyle but he would have at least financially made money from the royalties for himself and Martin Shaw? The same can be said of Diana Rigg who unlike Patrick MacNee frowned upon any one mentioning the Avengers even though it gave her the platform to do other projects beyond the show. My motto is don't bite the hand that made you famous I say. :|


Because they've moved on and want their fans to move on with them. Michael Nesmith of The Monkees was that way for a long time, wanting to be recognized for his more recent endeavours rather than what he was doing 40 years ago. It was only in recent years that he re-embraced his role as a Monkee and finally agreed to tour with them again. Davey Jones passing probably had a lot to do with his decision.


I suppose you're correct in what you say although with Lewis Collins that like so many other British actors moved to where the money & work was as did Jim Dale, Michael Crawford done before, and some obviously as mentioned at the height of fame shy away from roles that made them only to return when the time's right i.e money spinner, finances are low or career's taken a dip.

Regarding the Monkees. Love their TV show done in the mid sixties and can remember seeing it first shown on UK TV in the very early 80s as a kid, and my favourite song was daydream believer sung by Davey Jones. I was aware the Monkees had been touring over the years and was saddened to here Davey passed on so young age 66yrs. Great actors & musicians.
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Lewis Collins dies

Postby Ivor Biggun » Tue May 19, 2015 5:59 am

I seriously doubt that Martin Shaw had any input into whether The Professionals would ever air again. He was hired to do a job and got paid for it. He wasn't given an ownership interest in the show. Only the owners of the broadcast rights would have a say in the matter. You also have to remember that The Professionals was controversial when it first aired because of all the violence. It wouldn't be an easy decision to make to rebroadcast it because it would only bring up that controversy all over again.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Re: Lewis Collins dies

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed May 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:I seriously doubt that Martin Shaw had any input into whether The Professionals would ever air again. He was hired to do a job and got paid for it. He wasn't given an ownership interest in the show. Only the owners of the broadcast rights would have a say in the matter. You also have to remember that The Professionals was controversial when it first aired because of all the violence. It wouldn't be an easy decision to make to rebroadcast it because it would only bring up that controversy all over again.


I suppose by signing a contract to feature in a said show or series they sign their visual rights away, obviously not their rights to royalties, if lucky. After all it's money in the bank with repeat fees, DVD sales, interviews, conventions. Although there was a case with Ex Eastender Ross Kemp (played hardman Grant Mitchell) who was alleged to have wanted the removal of an ad from ITV for fruit n fibre cereal because it showed him in a comic scenario ( remember that fruit n fibre golf advert lol) rather than his tough guy image honed. He lost his case. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Lewis Collins dies

Postby bob » Fri May 22, 2015 10:07 am

As I said I was told by a Policeman - its not like them to make things up !!!!!!!
User avatar
bob
Site Admin
 
Posts: 991
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Bradwell on Sea, Essex


Return to RIP - In Memoriam

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

 

 

Testing