Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

R.I.P Roger Lloyd Pack 1944 to 2014

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

R.I.P Roger Lloyd Pack 1944 to 2014

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:57 pm

It was sadly announced yesterday the 15th January 2014 that the great comedy & stage actor Roger Lloyd Pack famed for his rolls as Trigger in Only Fools and Horses and Owen Newitt in Vicar of Dibley plus many stage, Hollywood blockbuster film and television series over the decades. He was also the son of Charles Lloyd Pack who appeared in many hammer Film and ITC serials. Your thoughts of this sad news. :(

Last edited by Ilovesteptoe on Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: R.I.P Roger Lloyd Pack (1944 to 2014)

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:55 am

Have only seen Roger Lloyd Pack in the first series of Vicar of Dibley.
My favorite character, Owen often got the most outrageous lines yet seemed the most sane.
Hard to believe it was 20 years ago.
A very funny actor, RIP
Correction, also seen him in 1984 and Interview with the Vampire, memorable performances despite being bit parts, especially in the excellent 1984.
Who could forget the dour but compassionate waiter pouring a drink for a psychologically shattered John Hurt after his torture in room 101.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:53 pm

Sorry to hear about his death, a very versatile actor.
I remember - it must have been the 1st episode of OFAH when Del introduced Trigger to Rodney (Dave) , Rodney asked 'does he carry a gun ?' Del replied 'no it's because he looks like a horse' :)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:43 pm

Archie wrote:Sorry to hear about his death, a very versatile actor.
I remember - it must have been the 1st episode of OFAH when Del introduced Trigger to Rodney (Dave) , Rodney asked 'does he carry a gun ?' Del replied 'no it's because he looks like a horse' :)

My favourite scene with Roger in was episode " Xmas Special: Mother's Nature Son (1992)" and the part where the part where they all drive to dump the toxic waste and one of Trigger's council facilities but it's closed and that scene where Trigger and Denzil wave goodbye to Del & Rodney and their hands are glowing. Hilarious!! :lol:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:36 am

Dave!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:51 am

I loved the line about his broom. It has been with him for 20 years. Its had 5 new brushes and 4 new handles, but it is still the same old broom !! - Mr Sullivan wrote it better than that !!

It seems a lot of these reformed 70's bands are a bit like triggers broom. 5 different drummers, 3 lead singers etc, but they are still calling themselves Sweet or Slade etc !!

Still thanks for all the laughs Roger, not forgetting all the serious work. Bit like our Harry !!
bob
Site Admin

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:24 pm

bob wrote:I loved the line about his broom. It has been with him for 20 years. Its had 5 new brushes and 4 new handles, but it is still the same old broom !! - Mr Sullivan wrote it better than that !!

It seems a lot of these reformed 70's bands are a bit like triggers broom. 5 different drummers, 3 lead singers etc, but they are still calling themselves Sweet or Slade etc !!

Still thanks for all the laughs Roger, not forgetting all the serious work. Bit like our Harry !!

Only fools was the complete comedy because John Sullivan was of the people and knew how people thought and he observed like all great writers are. He had an eye for characters and the actors who played them. This is the reason why David Jason was perfect as Del ( BBC big wigs wanted Ronny Corbett) , Nicolas Lyndhurst as Rodney & Leonard Pierce as Granddad ( BBC considered Wilfrid Brambell for the role but decided no due to him being so well know as Albert Steptoe), and the same applied for the brilliant Roger Lloyd Pack and other cast members who besides great straight actors worked as a team unit. Not many comedies come around that becomes part of British culture and that where Only Fools and Horses stands out with the other greats of yesteryear. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby harold » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:44 pm

i enjoyed him in vicar of dibley and two old guys
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:02 pm

harold wrote:i enjoyed him in vicar of dibley and two old guys

Yeah He was really cool in the vicar of Dibley as Owen and I was just getting into watching The old guys series and was hoping for a new series too. Fate's a cruel thing. Life's unfair? :|
Last edited by Ilovesteptoe on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ilovesteptoe

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:57 pm

He was also fantastic in a recurring guest role in 2.4 Children. Every character he played was different, a true actor. This guy will be missed.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:17 pm

PhilGlass wrote:He was also fantastic in a recurring guest role in 2.4 Children. Every character he played was different, a true actor. This guy will be missed.

Yeah you're right. Forgot him in that series to my shame. Ahh...yes 2.4 Children another great series featuring not only the great Roger Lloyd Pack but another fine actor who also passed away way too soon namely Gary Olsen (1957 to 2000 :cry: ). I love that series especially the Halloween specials and the PortMeirion Prisoner spoof. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Uncle Nobby » Wed May 20, 2015 10:57 pm

He was a great actor.

I recently saw him in a Mr Bean short when Mr Bean goes into a restaurant on his birthday and Roger plays a waiter that brings him his meal. Very funny.

RIP.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby bob » Fri May 22, 2015 10:05 am

Welcome to the Forum Uncle Nobby

When I saw this top of the Forum, I thought he had died again !!! Not that a second visit from Roger wouldn't be welcome.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun May 24, 2015 2:17 pm

bob wrote:Welcome to the Forum Uncle Nobby

When I saw this top of the Forum, I thought he had died again !!! Not that a second visit from Roger wouldn't be welcome.

Bob

It's been nearly 1yr 1/2 since his passing. Great actor with a social conscience too. :|

Ilovesteptoe

Return to RIP - In Memoriam