Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Robin Williams

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Robin Williams

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Off stage and off camera, it was immediately apparent that Robin Williams was an intelligent, articulate and compassionate human being, an acute mind.
But sometimes, when an incessantly manic comedic character finds itself the object of admiration, fame and sometimes fortune, it’s not surprising when the demands of that character take a huge toll on the real person.
Nevertheless I find claims that Robin committed “suicide by asphyxiation” as the tabloids (the bulk of so called “journalism” these days) are reporting, regardless of their “official sources”, questionable at best.
Favorite performances include Terry Gilliam’s “The Fisher King” and “The Adventures of Baron Munchausen”, and Mike Nichols’ “The Birdcage”. RIP Robin.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Re: Robin Williams

Postby Archie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:28 pm

He was indeed a great entertainer, I first saw him in the excellent Mork & Mindy. I don't think anyone had a bad thing to say about him, he was one of the few Hollywood celebrities who entertained troops serving overseas.
A thoroughly nice chap.
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:47 pm

Archie wrote:I don't think anyone had a bad thing to say about him...A thoroughly nice chap.

Precisely. Which is why the circumstances surrounding his death are so utterly baffling, I don’t know whether to be angry or sad. It makes no sense. Maybe he did succumb to the cult of celebrity. 63. Poor sod.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby THE VICAR » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:43 pm

"I wasn't a fan of robin Williams he used to get on my two bob bits after watching him for a while sorry sad whats happened to him its like hancock he never asked for help and the drink and drug abuse didn't help him fame can be a bad card sometimes im very much as the yanks say old school my fave American funny men are one oliver hardy two. phil silvers sgt bilko still funny now and bob Newhart rip robin I knew he was a goons fan robin Williams .
not the vicar again hes had two bob of me this year already.
THE VICAR

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:05 pm

THE VICAR wrote:"I wasn't a fan of robin Williams he used to get on my two bob bits after watching him for a while sorry sad whats happened to him its like hancock he never asked for help and the drink and drug abuse didn't help him fame can be a bad card sometimes im very much as the yanks say old school my fave American funny men are one oliver hardy two. phil silvers sgt bilko still funny now and bob Newhart rip robin I knew he was a goons fan robin Williams .

Actually he did ask for help, and spent 20 years sober. The 'rehab' they say he attended was actually for depression, though if the press give all of the details it's not as good is it?

I think everyone was shocked by this, shame to hear that in his final appearances he was forced to do crap tv work.

Forget his comedy, check out "One Hour Photo". No one can doubt his acting ability there.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Still can't believe what's happened, and it's sad that a man who gave so much laughter to all was tormented resulting in this act of desperation. Very sad. :|
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Return to RIP - In Memoriam