Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

R.I.P Patrick Macnee 1922 - 2015

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

R.I.P Patrick Macnee 1922 - 2015

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:43 pm

It's sadly been announced that the TV legend Patrick Macnee has died at his home in California aged 93 yrs. Although star of numerous films, plays and tv series he will best be remembered for his superb role as Steed in the cult classic series Avengers aired between 1961/67 & 1976/77. RIP Patrick! :|

Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: R.I.P Patrick Macnee 1922 - 2015

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:56 am

Sad news, his John Steed was and still is so iconic that it’s difficult to separate the man from the role, which precludes the notion of re-casting. The Avengers was one of precious few UK telly shows folks this side of the pond were permitted to see, albeit years later. Consequently, Macnee is the primary reason folks here recognize bowler & brolly. Yet despite the weather, I don’t recall him ever using his brolly, except as a weapon. His pop psychologist "I'm OK, you're OK" for werewolves in "The Howling" was fun too.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:57 am

The Avengers / New Avengers were great, strange that he was also 93 and died in the same month as Christopher Lee !.

Patrick Macnee, the debonair star of the 1960s television series The Avengers, has died in California at the age of 93.

The British actor had a long and distinguished career in theatre and film, but will always be remembered as John Steed, the bowler-hatted, umbrella-twirling secret agent with his feisty co-stars Honor Blackman (as Cathy Gale) and Diana Rigg (as Emma Peel).

Macnee was born in London in 1922, the son of Daniel and Dorothea, a racehorse trainer and the niece of the Earl of Huntingdon. He was educated at Eton and after a stint in the Royal Navy during WWII, he won a place at drama school. Gloomy about his acting prospects in post-war Britain, he left to work in stage and television shows in Canada and the US, before being offered the part in The Avengers
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:26 am

Archie wrote:...strange that he was also 93 and died in the same month as Christopher Lee !

They acted together at school too. Seem to recall Lee telling a funny anecdote about acting with Macnee, it's on a DVD commentary here somewhere, I'll try to locate it later. Can't help but wonder if Lee thought of his schoolmate when he did "Death Line" wearing the same gear: bowler, brolly/swagger stick, cheeky grin & members only necktie.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Uncle Nobby » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:40 pm

A great Actor and a great loss. RIP

He also played The Devil in the original Battlestar Galactica TV series.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby harold » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:25 pm

yes I enjoyed him in the avengers I will miss him
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Postby Ivor Biggun » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:44 pm

Apart from the Avengers, I'll always remember him as young Marley from the 1951 version of a Christmas Carol starring Alistair Sim.

I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Return to RIP - In Memoriam