Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Roddy Piper

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Roddy Piper

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:04 pm

Don’t look to sleazy tabloids for a proper obit, they’re already stumbling over their own feet greedily eager to publish reams of pages devoted to the absurd notion that wrestling is a sport.

Roddy Piper was one of the best stuntmen in the business and an excellent actor.

I don’t know if the kilt he wore was his tartan, but he made it look good.
Schwarzenegger was just a ponced up body builder who couldn’t be bothered to hire a dialog coach.
But Roddy was the real deal. RIP.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Re: Roddy Piper

Postby Archie » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:44 pm

Sorry to hear it he couldn't have been that old ?. I last saw him on Storage Wars playing the pipes and valuing a kilt that Barry found in a locker.
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:18 pm

He was only 61, too young for a fella that appeared caber toss fit.
With the exception of "The Thing", I'm not a fan of John Carpenter's work.
But Roddy was terrific in "They Live".
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Uncle Nobby » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:20 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:He was only 61, too young for a fella that appeared caber toss fit.
With the exception of "The Thing", I'm not a fan of John Carpenter's work.
But Roddy was terrific in "They Live".

RIP Roddy Piper.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

I liked They Live and picked it up in a video sell off cheap.
Your opinion DOY.

I Like John Carpenter's work and his music scores.
The original Assault on Precinct 13, Escape from New York, The Thing and They Live.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby Ivor Biggun » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:46 pm

Roddy Piper lived very near me back in the 1980's. There was a gymnasium here that was one of the few places around that had the really heavy plates that they needed to increase muscle mass. Hulk Hogan, Magnificent Muraco and some others would be seen around the area a lot.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:35 pm

Heard about this in an odd way. Was searching around on Youtube, as you do, and came across a video assuming it was the usual tribute to his career then to my horror noticed a birth and death date underneath. I wasn't a huge fan of wrestling but was aware of Roddy and this news of his untimely death is terrible especially him having a young family. The heart attack, curse of the wrestler sadly. :(
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:15 am

Uncle Nobby wrote:I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Your opinion DOY...
I Like John Carpenter's work...

"...Momma don't like tattletales", a classic They Live trailer moment.
His alley scrap with Keith David is still a first rate stunt scene. Near the end of the scene, when Roddy 'accidentally' shatters a car window with a 4 x 2, apologizes then laughs, that bit is so incredibly hilarious :o. The scene is at youtube but I'll not post the link, apparently some 'naughty words' are heard :roll:.
As for John Carpenter, well...he's a guilty pleasure who took auteur theory to its illogical extreme. All he need do is put his name above a product, like the imaginary Betty Crocker, and regardless of lack of content, it'll make a profit. Ever listen to his DVD director commentary tracks? They're rather more revealing than he intended (or cared.) I find the best bits in his films tend to be performance and technical departments, they sometimes excel :D.
Dirty Old Yank

Return to RIP - In Memoriam