Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

RIP Stephen Lewis (Blakey) 1926-2015

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

RIP Stephen Lewis (Blakey) 1926-2015

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:20 pm

Sadly it's been announced that on the 12th of August the great comedy actor Stephen Lewis AKA Blakey from On the Buses fame has died aged 88yrs.

Born in 1926 he was in many minor roles on TV & film until that fated day he played the cult Bus Inspector Cyril Blake (Blakey) from from On the Buses. The show ran from 1969-1974 included three classic movies then in the spinoff "Don't Drink the Water "with the late Pat Combs. Also later life became a regular in the great " Last of the Summer Wine" as a regular for 17yrs in which he played the ironically titled character Smiler. He will be sorely missed. What a sad loss. :cry:

Trivia: He (Stephen Lewis) with friend and fellow actor Bob Grant (Jack) co wrote many episodes for the On the Buses from Series five to seven. One stand out was the final episode of the series titled : "Gardening time," and the series swansong.
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: RIP Stephen Lewis (Blakey) 1926-2015

Postby Ivor Biggun » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:39 pm

I just saw this on Facebook. It's a sad day. We get Last of the Summer Wine here, and I've been watching him in that.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:32 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:I just saw this on Facebook. It's a sad day. We get Last of the Summer Wine here, and I've been watching him in that.

Yeah, I was told by a family member after going to bed early after not feeling too good. I awoke only to hear this terrible news. Sad to think Anna Karen is the only surviving main cast member. We lost first Michael Robbins in 1992 , Doris Hare in 2000, then Bob Grant tragically in 2003 , later Reg Varney in 2008, and now Stephen Lewis. :|

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Archie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:36 pm

Blakey was a great character 'I'll ave you Butler' :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33914037
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:24 pm

Look forward to seeing more of his work someday, RIP.
Apparently he's in "The Krays", but I can't imagine where. Must watch that film again, see if I can locate him.
Interesting to note Stephen Lewis was a key member of Joan Littlewood's Theatre Workshop as was Harry H Corbett.
Lewis can be found in the index of Susannah's book (2012/cloth) but the page numbers are curiously absent :|.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ivor Biggun » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:57 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:
Ivor Biggun wrote:I just saw this on Facebook. It's a sad day. We get Last of the Summer Wine here, and I've been watching him in that.

Yeah, I was told by a family member after going to bed early after not feeling too good. I awoke only to hear this terrible news. Sad to think Anna Karen is the only surviving main cast member. We lost first Michael Robbins in 1992 , Doris Hare in 2000, then Bob Grant tragically in 2003 , later Reg Varney in 2008, and now Stephen Lewis. :|

Actually, Doris Hare wasn't an original cast member. Cicely Courtneidge played Stan's mum first.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:

Actually, Doris Hare wasn't an original cast member. Cicely Courtneidge played Stan's mum first.

Oh yes I'm aware of that being a On the Buses fan club member. Yeah she (Cicely) was only in 7 B&W episodes of the first Series back in 1969, but we're all familiar with Doris Hare as the mum although to give her credit due Cicely who herself passed in 1980 was very good also.

(P/S) Coincidentally recently I bought an actual On the Buses TV Script from the episode "What the Stars Foretell" (1973) which was indeed written by Bob Grant & Stephen Lewis. It's screen used to with all writing, revisions and quotations ect... very nice it is too.

Ilovesteptoe

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:38 pm

I'll get you for this, Butler!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:18 pm

PhilGlass wrote:I'll get you for this, Butler!!

I was asking for that. Even Blakey would have laughed. :D

Ilovesteptoe

Return to RIP - In Memoriam