Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Dudley Sutton - RIP

An opportunity to share some memories of our TV, Radio and Film stars who have gone to that Great Rag and Bone Yard in the Sky !

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Dudley Sutton - RIP

Postby Uncle Nobby » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:50 am

I read in Mondays Times that Dudley Sutton had passed away. A versatile actor best known as Tinker Dill in Lovejoy, he also appeared in George and Mildred and in Porridge as Reg Urwin who took the Governor hostage and Fletch drunk Reg's drugged cup of tea.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Re: Dudley Sutton - RIP

Postby ebdons » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:35 am

very sad news, I thought he was perfectly cast in lovejoy as the eagle eyed antique expert, good show all round. :(
ebdons

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:24 pm

A remarkable human being, Dudley Sutton, very sad news his passing.
Like Harry H. Corbett…Sutton was also a member of Joan Littlewood’s Theatre Workshop.
A courageous actor, he portrayed a gay leather biker in 1964 when homosexuality was still a crime
(unless you were titled) long before Christopher Lee did in 1980. And an extraordinarily funny chap too,
Dudley’s Hymn to the Disappearing Gentlemen’s Lavatories of Old London* which he dedicated to Joe Orton,
is hilarious!! Sutton’s 2006 reading of that and other of his pieces can be found at youchoobe. Kept his principles,
as evidenced by admirable comments from a hospice bed in March of this year. Dying of cancer, he reminded everyone to defend NHS while criticizing the rush towards privatization, and by implication, the dangerous
nationwide defunding of essential UK health care: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu6PoFhTrVE.
Clear weather Dudley, and a safe motorcycle ride. If on your journey you hear a woman
shouting...it might just be Renee Houston, bellowing as she did at similarly
leathered biker boy Bernie Bresslaw, “Shut that bloody row!”
* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUfLAnA3O1g.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!" - Harold
"Hey careful man, there's a beverage here!" - The Dude
Dirty Old Yank

Postby ebdons » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Hi just saw "A night to remember" on vintage tv and at the end was a RIP message for Dudley Sutton as this was his 1st starring role in a film.
ebdons

Return to RIP - In Memoriam