Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Besides writing Steptoe and Son and Hancock’s Half Hour, Ray and Alan have worked with most of the big names in British entertainment. A chance here to discuss their other work

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:58 pm

I recently viewed the 1963 classic "Ladies who do" film featuring Harry H Corbett in the lead role alongside Jon Pertwee with a plethora of stars such as Peggy Mount, Robert Morley, Graham Stark, Ron Moody, Jon Laurie ect.. It was a really excellent film and featured a group of cleaners who with help from (Robert Morley) an Ex Army officer who's living at cleaner Peggy Mounts home as a lodger who help her stop her company boss James Ryder ( Harry H Corbett) and partner Sid Tait (Jon Pertwee) from demolishing her street for development. On coming home one day and realising that a piece of paper she'd brought as rubbish home had important information on it Colonel Whitforth who had an understanding of the stocks & shares world noticed the writing was about a possible company takeover deal in which he phones his broker and buys shares in a company, makes £5000 but feels guilty when he realises that Mrs Cragg was happy only to recieve £50 when he offered her £200 fo the info recived and helps her and felloe cleaners stop the destruction their street for development by sourcing info via his and other directors waste paper baskets to buy shares in various companies with hilarious results. Classic! :P

Any other Gems featuring Harry or Wilfrid do you recommend other than the obvious? :D
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby Archie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:17 pm

The Bargee starring Harry and Ronnie Barker as a couple of boatmen

Crooks In Cloisters starring Wilf as a roguish boatman

1984 a black & white TV play starring Peter Cushing, with Wilf playing a barman and a prisoner
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
User avatar
Archie
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:40 pm
Location: Largs Ayrshire Coast

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Archie wrote:The Bargee starring Harry and Ronnie Barker as a couple of boatmen

Crooks In Cloisters starring Wilf as a roguish boatman

1984 a black & white TV play starring Peter Cushing, with Wilf playing a barman and a prisoner



Great list Archie. :D Never see the infamous 1984 with Wilfrid and Peter Cushing in but the other two are classics starring Harry H Corbett in the gem the Bargee and wilfrid as the boatman in Crooks & Cloisters. Have you also seen the Disney Film in Search of the castaways with Haley Mills and starring Wilfrid as hermit sailor stuck in prison cative of New Zealand islanders and as a police Inspector in the classic Robert Donat's 39 steps? :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby harryfaversham » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:50 pm

All great
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
User avatar
harryfaversham
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: The Mews Cottage, Oil Drum Lane, Shepherd's Bush

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:14 pm

harryfaversham wrote:All great


Yeah, Wilfrid plays that role in Casterways so good that I enjoy I everytime I view it and that's often. Also for years I never realised he was in 39 steps until as you do watched the credits and his name stood out from the crowd. Boy, he was so young looking in that. :D
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:01 am

Carry On Screaming
Jabberwocky

They may be obvious suggestions but classics still :)
Harry is particularly good in Jabberwocky, a favorite.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Carry On Screaming
Jabberwocky

They may be obvious suggestions but classics still :)
Harry is particularly good in Jabberwocky, a favorite.


Carry on Screaming is one of the best Carry on films going especially with Harry in it. 8) Oddly enough a few months ago I bought Jabberwocky on DVD, watched it not realising he was in it until those dulcet tones came onto the screen and I realised at once who it was. Very funny movie, first rate casting with Harry starring and I expect nothing more or less from the Monty Team as usual. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby Archie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:18 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:
Archie wrote:The Bargee starring Harry and Ronnie Barker as a couple of boatmen

Crooks In Cloisters starring Wilf as a roguish boatman

1984 a black & white TV play starring Peter Cushing, with Wilf playing a barman and a prisoner



Great list Archie. :D Never see the infamous 1984 with Wilfrid and Peter Cushing in but the other two are classics starring Harry H Corbett in the gem the Bargee and wilfrid as the boatman in Crooks & Cloisters. Have you also seen the Disney Film in Search of the castaways with Haley Mills and starring Wilfrid as hermit sailor stuck in prison cative of New Zealand islanders and as a police Inspector in the classic Robert Donat's 39 steps? :)


Wilf's 1984 movie can be seen online 8)
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1340
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
User avatar
Archie
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:40 pm
Location: Largs Ayrshire Coast

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Sorry to disappoint, but you have fallen for a common myth... Wilfrid was not in the 39 Steps.. There is someone who looks like him who is responsible for the myth... In 1939 Wilfrid had not yet come to England, nor did he have an agent for acting he was simply part of the Abbey Theatre. There is a thread somewhere here discussing this.

I find "The Bargee" over rated - Harry simply plays Harold Steptoe on a boat. A good film, pleasant to watch, but his performance was not going to set the world alight. However, he did of course do many outstanding performances - check out his episode of "Shoestring" called "Nine Tenths of the Law!" a brilliant dramatic performance, as well as "Tales of the Unexpected".

Early HHC films that are notable are "Sammy Going South" ("The last time I will ever play a villain" Harry later said) and "Floods of Fear".

As for his later films, I purchased the film "Hardcore" for the society archive and was eager to see Harry.. he appears for just 7 seconds and speaks only 2 words. But he does have a brilliant fluffy beard so it makes up for it!

Wilfrid appears in practically everything.. ha ha.. his choice of work was very wide ranging. Look out for him in "Witchfinder General" - he is billed third on DVD covers, yet appears for less than 1 minute. My favourite is "Piccasos Aventyr" a swedish film from 1979, Wilfrid and Bernard Cribbins steal the show. Also, check out "Flame in The Streets" where he plays John Mills' father (Wilfid was younger than Mills at the time), a good size role with varying opportunities.

Everything these guys did is fantastic in its own way.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
User avatar
PhilGlass
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:41 pm
Location: Down the football club pulling a stripper!

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:02 pm

PhilGlass wrote:Sorry to disappoint, but you have fallen for a common myth... Wilfrid was not in the 39 Steps.. There is someone who looks like him who is responsible for the myth... In 1939 Wilfrid had not yet come to England, nor did he have an agent for acting he was simply part of the Abbey Theatre. There is a thread somewhere here discussing this.

I find "The Bargee" over rated - Harry simply plays Harold Steptoe on a boat. A good film, pleasant to watch, but his performance was not going to set the world alight. However, he did of course do many outstanding performances - check out his episode of "Shoestring" called "Nine Tenths of the Law!" a brilliant dramatic performance, as well as "Tales of the Unexpected".

Early HHC films that are notable are "Sammy Going South" ("The last time I will ever play a villain" Harry later said) and "Floods of Fear".

As for his later films, I purchased the film "Hardcore" for the society archive and was eager to see Harry.. he appears for just 7 seconds and speaks only 2 words. But he does have a brilliant fluffy beard so it makes up for it!

Wilfrid appears in practically everything.. ha ha.. his choice of work was very wide ranging. Look out for him in "Witchfinder General" - he is billed third on DVD covers, yet appears for less than 1 minute. My favourite is "Piccasos Aventyr" a swedish film from 1979, Wilfrid and Bernard Cribbins steal the show. Also, check out "Flame in The Streets" where he plays John Mills' father (Wilfid was younger than Mills at the time), a good size role with varying opportunities.

Everything these guys did is fantastic in its own way.


Wow..... I always thought that and the person has a remarkable likeness to him. I agree that the Bargee won't win any Oscars but it has that Chocolate box feeling of hazy days gone by or like wearing a comfortable pair of socks which I like not to mention loads of sadly long gone Actors/Actresses which makes me think what calibre we did have then and what we have now comedy wise which is depressing to say the least. Like you have I've been trying to source anything with Harry & Wilfid in and seeing you also mentioned the great Bernard Cribbings, him too. My favourite which is just out on DVD now that features both Wifrid & Bernard Cribbins is Crooks in Cloisters. Love it!

I can actually remember that episode of Shoestring too being televised and watching it with the family and that Tales of the Unexpected episode called " the Moles" that featured Harry in his last ever performance before his death which featured if I can remember Faulton Mckay, Bill Owen and some other familiar actor which evades my memory me somewhat? Then reading the papers as a kid and seeing that he'd died which made me sad as a few famous faces from the comedy world died that year that included as Marty Feldman. You mentioned Witch finder General. I've got that in my Hammer film collection and haven't viewed it for ages so I'll take a peek and look out for wilfrid. I know also that he ( Wilfrid) appeared in a lot of Kid series in the late seventies and recently saw him in an episode of the kids show called Shadows. He played a hermit guarding a spooky old medieval Church which involved a group of kids and a grounded spirit young boy .
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:53 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote: I know also that he ( Wilfrid) appeared in a lot of Kid series in the late seventies and recently saw him in an episode of the kids show called Shadows. He played a hermit guarding a spooky old medieval Church which involved a group of kids and a grounded spirit young boy .


That sounds very much like "Spooky", a part of the Dramarama series, an episode called "The Restless Ghost" where he is the sexton of the church and the boys are playing a trick on him, pretending to be a glowing dead drummer boy.. unbeknown to them, Wilfrid's character has something to hide...

This was actually 1983, one of his last roles. It is on dvd :)

Wilfrid also did some bizarre stuff at the height of his fame.. a corporate training video for British Gas, about correct moving and handling techniques, and also a late night episode of "Your Move" a program learning adults to read. It was certainly a varied career!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
User avatar
PhilGlass
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:41 pm
Location: Down the football club pulling a stripper!

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:33 am

Cheers guys for bringing so many productions to our attention, the frustrating bit is few if any are likely to be region 1. More than frustrating, it's just plain stupid on the part of those who make the decisions about such things, as they'd profit financially from wider distribution. And the world would profit, cross cultural entertainment is by its very nature diplomacy at its best.
What ever happened to rational commerce?

Wilf appears in "Witchfinder General" at approx 107:30, if you've got the unrated 87 min version. His is the only really funny bit in the film. Speaking of, thanks again Archie for recommending "Black Death", but for your mentioning it might never have seen it. Dystopic and disturbing as the subject deserves to be. If only MTV generation filmmakers would get a tripod or steadicam, that camera operator having a seizure technique gets annoying rather quickly.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby harryfaversham » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Cheers guys for bringing so many productions to our attention, the frustrating bit is few if any are likely to be region 1. More than frustrating, it's just plain stupid on the part of those who make the decisions about such things, as they'd profit financially from wider distribution. And the world would profit, cross cultural entertainment is by its very nature diplomacy at its best.
What ever happened to rational commerce?

Wilf appears in "Witchfinder General" at approx 107:30, if you've got the unrated 87 min version. His is the only really funny bit in the film. Speaking of, thanks again Archie for recommending "Black Death", but for your mentioning it might never have seen it. Dystopic and disturbing as the subject deserves to be. If only MTV generation filmmakers would get a tripod or steadicam, that camera operator having a seizure technique gets annoying rather quickly.


Very well said
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
User avatar
harryfaversham
 
Posts: 601
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:07 pm
Location: The Mews Cottage, Oil Drum Lane, Shepherd's Bush

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:51 am

Cheers Harry :) Did you ever get around to watching "Evil Dead II"? An Evil Dead remake is in theatres now but the plot summary at Wiki aint encouraging.
PhilGlass wrote:Wilfrid was not in the 39 Steps...There is a thread somewhere here discussing this.

http://www.albertandharold.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=602

Have only seen a few frames of "Shoestring: Nine Tenths of the Law" but they were sufficient to confirm a really remarkable performance. Disturbing to see Harry being so thoroughly frightening.
PhilGlass wrote: "Hardcore"...Harry appears for just 7 seconds and speaks only 2 words.

What were the 2 words? If you can't repeat them here you could use rhyming slang. Or write an anagram :o
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Harry H Corbett/ Wilfrid Brambell Movies

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:38 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Cheers Harry :) Did you ever get around to watching "Evil Dead II"? An Evil Dead remake is in theatres now but the plot summary at Wiki aint encouraging.
PhilGlass wrote:Wilfrid was not in the 39 Steps...There is a thread somewhere here discussing this.

http://www.albertandharold.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=602

Have only seen a few frames of "Shoestring: Nine Tenths of the Law" but they were sufficient to confirm a really remarkable performance. Disturbing to see Harry being so thoroughly frightening.
PhilGlass wrote: "Hardcore"...Harry appears for just 7 seconds and speaks only 2 words.

What were the 2 words? If you can't repeat them here you could use rhyming slang. Or write an anagram :o


In that Shoestring episode Harry shows the signed of his Car Accident evident with the scars on his chin too. Yes, He was really menacing and showed his classically trained acting skills. 8)

Talking Evil Dead the remake. When I heard Bruce Campbell announcing the film at comic con I was overjoyed but when I saw some clips recently it reminded me of that other disaster remake " Fright night". Why you ask make this when they could have made a sequel to Army of Darkness instead of regurgitating a classic which is going to be a shadow of the original. I'll watch it through my hands but not for the obvious reasons of terror but the possibility of embarrassment. well see. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Next

Return to Other Creations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 

 

Testing