Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

When Paul Merton remade Hancock...

Besides writing Steptoe and Son and Hancock’s Half Hour, Ray and Alan have worked with most of the big names in British entertainment. A chance here to discuss their other work

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: When Paul Merton remade Hancock...

Postby harryfaversham » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Imagine how OFAH would have turned out with Ray & Alan writing it
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:53 pm

If there's anyone I would have choosen to remake Hancock stories it would have been Paul Merton. He has Hancock's dry wit and I know he performance didn't please the purists but I like his portrayal of him and after all he was choosen by Galton & Simpson who must be judges. Recently I saw a bloke on Youtube who was uncannily like Hancock in looks, mannerisms who uploaded himself aping the Hancock shows which was amazing. Checking out the link below and give us your thoughts. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4K44zg2Usk
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Ivor Biggun » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:10 pm

harryfaversham wrote:OFAH has been way too overexposed unfortunately

I thought OFAH went on far longer than it should have. The last few seasons the characters were getting too old and the writing wasn't there anymore like it was in the earlier seasons. As soon as someone thought Del Boy getting married and having kids was a good idea (it wasn't) was when they should have cut it off. Wives and families tend to put a damper on things when you're a schemer like Del Boy and I don't think any woman in the real world would have tolerated someone like that. They would have wanted someone with financial security, not someone living on the council estate and making all their money through dodgy dealings that frequently had them running from the coppers or losing more than they stood to gain.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:52 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:
harryfaversham wrote:OFAH has been way too overexposed unfortunately

I thought OFAH went on far longer than it should have. The last few seasons the characters were getting too old and the writing wasn't there anymore like it was in the earlier seasons. As soon as someone thought Del Boy getting married and having kids was a good idea (it wasn't) was when they should have cut it off. Wives and families tend to put a damper on things when you're a schemer like Del Boy and I don't think any woman in the real world would have tolerated someone like that. They would have wanted someone with financial security, not someone living on the council estate and making all their money through dodgy dealings that frequently had them running from the coppers or losing more than they stood to gain.

The perfect would be ended should have been the 1996 "Christmas trilogy" when Del & co finally become millionaires, and we see all three Del, Rodney & Albert walked off into the sunset. I know it went onto parody itself towards the end, but I loved every episode from 1 to 64 plus specials. John Sullivan, rest his soul, was a genius to create such a gem, not to mention others too such as Dear John, Citizen Smith ect... 8)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Previous

Return to Other Creations