Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Alan Simpson interview, July 2013

If you are aware of anything involving our two favourite script writers let us know here

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Alan Simpson interview, July 2013

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:38 pm

"An Evening With Alan Simpson" (Staines Video Makers, July 2013)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz6pokX3P4s, Hope everyone enjoys :o.
In this excellent, in depth but all too brief interview (1hr, 11min) for an intimate room of admirers, Alan
describes meeting Ray, their early efforts and subsequent successes, writing in the golden age of British radio
and television comedy. The interview focuses primarily on Hancock but among the many people Alan mentions
are Sid James, Hattie Jacques, Kenneth Williams, Frankie Howerd...and of course, Harry & Wilfrid. Asked for his
opinion of Channel 4’s “The Curse of Steptoe”, Alan describes it as “total nonsense, ludicrous" which we can
all agree with. Susannah’s book expands greatly upon the subject, but most of us have had rather less
courteous words for Ch. 4’s un-researched, ill advised and grotesque foray into yellow journalism.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Re: Alan Simpson interview, July 2013

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:"An Evening With Alan Simpson" (Staines Video Makers, July 2013)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz6pokX3P4s, Hope everyone enjoys :o.
In this excellent, in depth but all too brief interview (1hr, 11min) for an intimate room of admirers, Alan
describes meeting Ray, their early efforts and subsequent successes, writing in the golden age of British radio
and television comedy. The interview focuses primarily on Hancock but among the many people Alan mentions
are Sid James, Hattie Jacques, Kenneth Williams, Frankie Howerd...and of course, Harry & Wilfrid. Asked for his
opinion of Channel 4’s “The Curse of Steptoe”, Alan describes it as “total nonsense, ludicrous" which we can
all agree with. Susannah’s book expands greatly upon the subject, but most of us have had rather less
courteous words for Ch. 4’s un-researched, ill advised and grotesque foray into yellow journalism.

Without hijacking the topic, I have made my own views on that program clear in this forum over the years, as with "When steptoe met son". But I guess a program about two blokes who got on well and worked nicely together is just boring! It was great that Ray and Alan always spoke the truth about this, good on them.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Return to What are they Doing Now ?