Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

The Rebel - Autumn 2006

If you are aware of anything involving our two favourite script writers let us know here

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

The Rebel - Autumn 2006

Postby bob » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:02 am

News from the official Galton and Simpson website, is that they are currently involved in promoting a DVD release of “The Rebel” staring Tony Hancock.

The have recorded an interview with Paul Merton, although details of when and how this will be broadcast have yet to be announced.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:18 pm

Good movie :) I belive Paul Merton is a fan of Steptoe & Son.
I seem to remember reading in a copy of "Rag & Bone" (or was it the book ?)he was at a ceremony at the BBC TV Centre - along with Harold H Corbett's daughter, when a plaque was unveiled commemorating the series ?.
Archie

Postby thatsthatthen » Mon May 19, 2008 9:21 pm

A fan perhaps ... but does anyone remember his remakes of Hancock shows? Gawd they were dreadful! What conceit!

I remember Michael Caine on Breakfast TV a couple of years ago bemoaning film-makers predilection for remaking good, successful films. He stated that it would be far better if they remade unsuccessful, bad films and made them better.

Wise words indeed!

I can only say thank goodness Merton didn't try that remake nonsense in his more recent show on BBC3 where he celebrated heroes such as Laurel & Hardy, Keaton and Chaplin. I would have blown a fuse ... after storming the BBC.
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby thatsthatthen » Mon May 19, 2008 9:28 pm

The Rebel is a fabulous film though. I rememebr seeing it as a kid and loving Hancock's approach to abstract art ... with the bicycle and raincoat.

Aphrodite at the Water Hole would be worth a fortune now.

Punch and Judy Man's not bad either. Hancock was a real star. Nearly watched all the Hancock's now. It's my latest obsession. I love it when he or Sid fluff their lines. That's what makes the magic in the show. They were allowed to acknowledge and play with the audience in a way that would have totally ruined S&S if they'd tried it. I thnk that was because of the crucial realism in S&S which didn't exist for Hancock.

Anyway, next up is ... Dad's Army from the beginning! Am desperate to see those B&W episodes!
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby Karl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:10 am

Tony Hancock was a comic genius! without doubt his radio/tv work with Ray & Alan was his best,Hancock's half hour radio shows are classic listening,along with steptoe and son Hancock's half hour is the best comedy this nation has ever seen/heard IMHO!
there isn't a day goes by without me listening to one or the other,thanks Ray & Alan!! :lol: :lol:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby DexSmart » Thu May 05, 2011 11:13 am

They had some really nice episodes. i love them , since i was 15 !
DexSmart

Return to What are they Doing Now ?