Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Jake Nightingale & Harry Dickman on Steve Wright - Radio

It’s over 30 years since the ink dried on the last Steptoe script to be produced. Now Albert and Harold are back on the stage without the original cast and a script without Alan. Can this new venture live up to expectations

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Jake Nightingale & Harry Dickman on Steve Wright - Radio

Postby bob » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:39 pm

With thanks to Archie and apologies to the BBC you can hear Jake Nightingale & Harry Dickman being interviewed by Steve Wright on his afternoon show on BBC Radio 2.

The show was broadcast on 13 March 2006.

To listen to the file click the following link.

http://www.albertandharold.co.uk/audio/Radio2-13-03-06.mp3
bob
Site Admin

Postby thatsthatthen » Tue May 06, 2008 8:58 pm

Hey Bob

Okay so I'm two years late, but I just found and listened to this interview.

The actors really seemed to have taken the time and made the effort to understand H and W in a way that Isaacs and Davis did not. In fact they even dismiss as "press talk" the so-called loathing (ha ha Loathe Story) of the two actors. Yet Davis went on record on Breakfast Time (or was it some daft cooking programme - perhaps it was both) with the "common knowledge" line.
So on whose authority was he speaking? And in whose interests?

In that interview the lad playing H is so right in his analysis of H's work, when he talks about H's acting - especially in the early series. I feel exactly the same way. Latterly they seemed to play it for laughs and there was a definite sense of self awareness which distanced me from the drama a bit. But it was still enjoyable, just in a different way.

I so wish I could see MIODL. Can't believe it came to Glasgow and I was sitting at home totally oblivious....
thatsthatthen

Postby bob » Wed May 07, 2008 3:48 am

Dear (can I call you TTT for short ?) TTT

Thanks for the message I'm glad you enjoyed the interview.

I do want to make the time to put a page up about the play, but work keeps getting in the way. I also have a review of yours to submit.

A DVD recording was made of the play but not for commercial release. It is there in case somebody wants to resurrect the play at take it on tour again.

I really agree with your comments about H. The real tragedy was that Steptoe while giving him wider fame really limited his acting opportunities. He was much better than many of the post Steptoe roles he was offered.
bob
Site Admin

Return to Should they have done it ?