Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

No further plans or DVD release

It’s over 30 years since the ink dried on the last Steptoe script to be produced. Now Albert and Harold are back on the stage without the original cast and a script without Alan. Can this new venture live up to expectations

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

No further plans or DVD release

Postby bob » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:14 am

It seems that “Murder in Oil Drum Lane” is now officially nostalgia.

There were plans to take the show to Australia but they fell through.

The set has been scrapped and there are currently no further plans for the show.

Now the good news:

There was a DVD recording made of the show.

But wait for it:

It was for archive purposes so that if there were ever plans to bring it back to the stage the new producers would have something to refer to.

It will not be commercially released.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but remember I’m only the messenger.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Graham_S nli » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:48 pm

I hate the idea of copyright being broken and the writers not getting their dues but what I would give for a "bootleg copy".... :?
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby Archie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:44 pm

It seems bizarre that the recording won't be released.
I'm sure it would be a best seller :o

Likewise I have no doubt the Australian tour would be a sellout :!:
Archie

Postby Graham_S nli » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:38 am

It seems a shame that it just "fades away".....

The original Australia tour went down a storm with the amount of English emigres wanting to see a bit of home in the 70's perhaps because we have so many diverse ways now of entertaining ourselves (the internet being one of them). The audience wanting to see it might have not been enough to pay for a tour so far away...

The world is a lot smaller now than 30 years ago...

Today we can sit on a beach in Spain reading a copy of the todays Sun, Mirror, Express or Mail drinking a pint of John Smith's extra smooth....

30 years ago you were reading yesterday's paper that had been flown over the previous evening drinking San Miguel instead...

I went to Disneyworld in Florida last December with my son and the only thing I missed from Britain (apart from my wife and daughter) was Cadbury's Fruit and Nut and I could buy that at the airport (which I will remember for the future!).

I assume there are a lot of problems with releasing it on DVD due to copyright, performing rights in respect of the actors and I wonder if the BBC would want a cut even though they have not been involved in any way...

We can only hope that the BBC in the near future pick up the rights to "MIODL" and produce it for television.... even if they don't release it on DVD we would be able to record it for the benefit of our far flung friends like Harold in the states....
Graham
Graham_S nli

Return to Should they have done it ?