Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

I saw it yesterday

It’s over 30 years since the ink dried on the last Steptoe script to be produced. Now Albert and Harold are back on the stage without the original cast and a script without Alan. Can this new venture live up to expectations

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

I saw it yesterday

Postby Archie » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:17 pm

Excuse any errors but have a colossal hangover :cry: I'm not a big drinker but I went for a few pint's & voddies in the Glasgow pubs after the play yesterday gawd I feel awful.
I was at the 2.30 matinee and it was surprisingly busy, many folk in the audience were in their sixties obviously fan's who appreciated the show when it was originally broadcast but in all the audience was a good cross section from 20's to senior's clearly they were all Steptoe fan's and not just punters.
I had a good seat about 20 rows back from the stage which enabled me too see the whole set and hear the actors clearly.

The first thing that struck me when the curtain opened was the staggering realism of the set, the skeleton, bear, Harold's writing desk and chair, the empty optics, even the barometer from the comedy playhouse were all there - trully stunning :o

Both the main actor's were incredibly realistic, Jake Nightingale in particular was almost indistinguishable as Harold in look voice and mannerisms' the whole cast were indeed brilliant :P
I actually felt that I had been transported back to the 70's and I was watching the originall show live !.
The writing was incredible, the way that the assorted stories merged, funny most of the time, sad in parts, shocking at times - the tin bath scene :shock:
I can honestly say that it was one of the best experiences of my life, it well exceeded my expectations 10 times over.
In a word - SUPERB :P :P :P
Last edited by Archie on Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archie

Postby bob » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:24 pm

Archie

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but I have been away.

I am so pleased you enjoyed the show. The information in your other post about the change of gender of one of the characters is interesting. It also removed one of the cruder lines of the dialogue, which some people disliked.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Programme image

Postby Archie » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:54 pm

Below :arrow:
Last edited by Archie on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archie

Postby Archie » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:48 pm

Glasgow Theatre Royal programme -

I removed the programme I think it was too large an image :?
Last edited by Archie on Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archie

Postby Graham_S nli » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:40 pm

Glutton for punishment me :o

Off again to see it in Richmond tomorrow.... Can't wait!!!!
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby bob » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:52 pm

I am so Jealous.

I hope you have a good time.

It will be intersting to see if the play has changed much since you first saw it.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Graham_S nli » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:58 pm

Back from the matinee performance.... brilliant as ever....

There are significant changes though...

The National Trust man is better IMHO and is played very "camp" so that Albert doesn't even have to change the line " and to make it worse having to live with her" at the start of the play....

Also the Von Ribbentrop Nazi / Stepstein playlet has been dropped in favour of a wartime blackout scene instead.... ( I did enjoy this in the original west end production but it was a little far fetched and lost some credibility to the whole story )

Everyone had changed from the West End apart from the two leads....

Daniel Beales played the NT Man, Wartime and Military Policeman...

An excellent addition to the play...

Katie Males played Joyce and Pamela....

I preferred Alison Steadman? ( haven't got my original programme at home! ) as Joyce as she seemed more like a woman of that era and the chemistry seemed better between her and Jake but as she also doubled up as the american woman during the wine tasting scene was very good as well...

Andy Clarkson was Policeman 2

Louise Metcalfe was Fiona

The last two were understudys and had very small parts in the play although Louise possibly knows Harry almost too well by now!

Archie, are the cast the same in your programme?

Terrific stuff and the rewrites worked better for me....
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby Archie » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:56 pm

I wish I could see the play again :)

In Glasgow -

Daniel Beals was the NT man and wartime and military policeman - a very good youg actor.

Andy Clarkson was policeman 2, Katie Males played Fiona

Daisy Smith played Joyce and Pamela, she had a lovely London accent she reminded me of a girl from school who had moved from London "Edwina" I must confess I was secretly carrying a flame for her :oops:
Archie

Postby Graham_S nli » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:02 pm

Just an aside from the theatre magazine....

I noticed at the back that our favourite writers have a hand signed limited edition print of "The Bath" available for sale ( framed and unframed )...

follow the link below for details....

http://www.tomcl.co.uk/Content/ProductDetailed.asp?product_id=48
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby bob » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:14 pm

Graham

As usual you are ahead of the game.

This website has been asked to endorse this product. It really is excellent I have a copy.

I will be featuring it on the front page of the site to coincide with an advert in the Sunday Telegraph Magazine, which will feature an endorsement from the website.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Graham_S nli » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:26 am

Bob,

Who has asked you to endorse it?

The company selling it or the writers and their management?

If the latter this IMHO means they must like and respect the hardwork you have put into this website....

Congratulations on this recognition either way!
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby bob » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:08 pm

Graham

Thanks again for your kind words.

It was the publishers who contacted me, but I understand the product is also being promoted by Tessa LeBars, Ray and Alan’s Agent.

I am going to start a new post regarding this subject as there is some interesting information regards Ray and Alan and this subject.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Return to Should they have done it ?